Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben has 3 years left on his current contract; extension after 2013?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ben has 3 years left on his current contract; extension after 2013?

It's not something we think about very often, but Big Ben's contract is starting to come to an end (3 years left on his $102 million dollar deal). If the Steelers follow suit, they'll extend him after 2013, with 2 years remaining on his deal at that time. How much and for how long is anybody's guess but he'll be 32 at that time and certainly they'll have to start considering drafting his replacement.

Drafting a key backup now is fine, and definitely needed, but it's not going to be all that far away before they'll need to really consider how much time he'll have left. I think we'd all be happy if Ben lasts 15 years in the league, but at the rate he's going that's no guarantee.

https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/...ports/steelers

Id like to see the steelers do something with Klein. I think he would be there in the late rounds. What could it hurt? Ben is not going to be the guy to tutor someone. His play is unique. Ben cant teach the next guy how to extend plays or teach his ability of pocket awarness.

The only thing I think Ben will be able to teach is how to read defenses.

I'll get flamed I'm sure but Ben should have to earn the extension, he needs to stay clean he's no spring chicken anymore. Throw the fn ball away instead of taking stupid hits, 2 years in a row now he's gotten hurt holding the ball too long...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I'll get flamed I'm sure but Ben should have to earn the extension, he needs to stay clean he's no spring chicken anymore. Throw the fn ball away instead of taking stupid hits, 2 years in a row now he's gotten hurt holding the ball too long...
    You're not going to get flamed from me.....I think you're correct and Ben is going to have show he can stay healthy over the next few seasons for him to be resigned by the Steelers.....But one thing in his favor is right now the Steelers don't have a QB to take his place on the roster....That was always be a factor as well......
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 01-29-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    You're not going to get flamed from.....I think you're correct and Ben is going to have show he can stay healthy over the next few seasons for him to be resigned by the Steelers.....But one thing in his favor is right now the Steelers don't have a QB to take his place on the roster....That was always be a factor as well......
    We will if he keeps holding the ball all day and if he gets knocked out in the first few weeks of the season, we will be picking #1 in a year or two.. Then well get the replacement.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    No flaming from me either. Ben needs to do better and get rid of the ball. He has to shoulder the blame for the things he's done wrong too. Everyone must be held accountable of their actions.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    We will if he keeps holding the ball all day and if he gets knocked out in the first few weeks of the season, we will be picking #1 in a year or two.. Then well get the replacement.
    Yea but I'm talking right now and as of now the Steelers don't have that replacement on the roster....This is a weak draft for QBs so I wouldn't be on the Steelers finding Ben's potential replacement this year.......I'm just saying when Ben's contract is up and if there isn't a legit replacement on the roster that will also factor in Ben getting his contract extended.......

Banned
    With this offensive line and an inept head coach that is unable to fix it, sadly, Roethlisberger's career will be all but done in three years. Having an elite QB was fun while it lasted.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    With this offensive line and an inept head coach that is unable to fix it, sadly, Roethlisberger's career will be all but done in three years. Having an elite QB was fun while it lasted.
    in 3 years, it will have lasted 12 years... pretty long time for any franchise QB
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    in 3 years, it will have lasted 12 years... pretty long time for any franchise QB
    Not as long as it could've been had he been given the same offensive line protection that other franchise quarterbacks are given.

Thread Information