Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward blames young WRs

Bookmark and Share

Hines Ward blames young WRs

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...yoffs/12772771

Hines Ward blames Steelers young receivers for missing playoffs

Pittsburgh Steelers former wide receiver Hines Ward wanted to play another season and could see the Steelers young receivers needed a leader, but the team felt he could no longer perform at a high level.

Ward says the receivers youth is a big reason the Steelers went 8-8 and missed the playoffs in 2012.

"They have a bunch of young, talented guys," Ward said in a recent interview with Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette. "The organization chose to go young and in a different direction. My argument was, 'Great, but I don't think any of those guys other than Mike Wallace were in crucial situations to ask them to carry the load.

"They were asked to be put into a huge role at such a young age. I had to deal with it. I was a veteran guy my second year. It's a learning curve for those guys. The transition going to next year, maybe they'll learn from their mistakes.

"I love everything about those guys. I wish them nothing but the best with those guys. ... Hopefully, the light bulb will turn on for those guys and they'll understand what the profession is on and off field.

"With A.B., Mike and Emmanuel, sometimes it takes more than work ethic. You have to put in the time both at work and home to take care of your body and your playbook."

Ward believes the defense is still good but will have to find some young stars.

"They're a team in transition, losing some of the older guys. The marquee names are getting older, and it's time for younger guys to step up.

"On defense, they're still playing good football. They'll always finish in the top five. In the secondary, Keenan Lewis had a big year, Ike Taylor is getting older, and there's a transition. You have to find some young stars to step up their play and allow them to be consistent."
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Chatty
    Well he's not wrong...Wallace's head too big for his shoulders and not showing up for camp totally put him on my bad side.
    No excuses for the extremeness of dropping passes that should have been easily caught...

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Out of the 3 of them i was most disappointed in Sanders . . .

he looked cocky, stupid and off it, him more than anyone seemed more sidetracked by the whole Wallace situation...

I had high hopes, but i think he he thinks he's better than he thinks he is!!

and he wimped our pretending he hurt his shoulder, a few plays later he was back in . .

lame!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSTEELER View Post
    Out of the 3 of them i was most disappointed in Sanders . . .

he looked cocky, stupid and off it, him more than anyone seemed more sidetracked by the whole Wallace situation...

I had high hopes, but i think he he thinks he's better than he thinks he is!!

and he wimped our pretending he hurt his shoulder, a few plays later he was back in . .

lame!
    I keep waiting for Sanders to take that next step but he never does......In my opinion Wallace, Brown, and Sanders all lack mental toughness and it showed on the field this year........

I blame Tomlin for not having these idiots ready to compete!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I keep waiting for Sanders to take that next step but he never does......In my opinion Wallace, Brown, and Sanders all lack mental toughness and it showed on the field this year........
    Desire,mental toughness, attitude, willpower, drive, fortitude, ambition just some that came to mind about the team in general not just the WRs. Sanders is gonna be a good receiver, out of the three he would've benefited most from another yr with Hines, wallace already had himself ahead of the team in OTAs so let him go whine elsewhere, AB just needs some football smarts and he would be a good one as well.

Steelers have no wide outs that play with grit like Hines did! Dropping the ball is easier then taking a hit! This team got soft over the last few years!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    Still think they couldve held onto ward for another year or two. They dont have a leader and thats what you get. The top 3 all have their separate issues, guess well see what happens in the future. Still cant believe sanders got blown up two times in the middle and lost the ball like dejavu.. but atleast hell go up the middle and try to make the catch unlike others.. hmmm wonder who that is

"Still think they couldve held onto ward for another year or two. They dont have a leader and thats what you get. "....Agree 110%! Well at least for Hines he still has that competitive fire hell he's going for the triple crown. Lombardi, Mirror Ball and I guess a golden spatula when he wins the celebrity cooking show, the guy is freaking awesome. Pretty sure the only thing he's gonna get in the Ironman is a pat on the back and thanks for coming

None of those loosers have the heart and desire of Hines Ward. Its going to be interesting to see how these so called receivers bounce back...

No worries thou, we will be a n 8-8 team -next year
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Thread Information