Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NPBs Latest Steeler Mock

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach

NPBs Latest Steeler Mock

Focusing on Positional Needs, and which round those Needs should be targeted. I would never treat an entire draft as position based. But I really do think their is a very nice distribution of talent, in favor of our needs. Maybe some of the guys I have listed would be considered a reach in a round, while others might be long gone.... who knows. Mostly, I want to highlight the positional needs, and the talent available in a particular range of picks.

1st - WIDE RECEIVER : DeAndre Hopkins / Cordarelle Patterson / Keenan Allen / Justin Hunter
    - All of these guys have 1st round grades. They all have one similarity : Size
    - Hopkins is the guy I like the most. Explosive down field ability. Go up and get it skills. Best hands.
    - Patterson is the guy with insane upside, but huge question marks. AJ Green? or Bust?
    - Allen is probably the most complete, but lacks the vertical/attack qualities
    - Hunter is the best vertical threat

Again, there are 5 VERY good 1st round WR talents in this draft, and I see AT LEAST 3 of them available at our pick... if not more. However, the WR talent is NOT deep in this draft. If we don't address it early, we won't have many options.

2nd - PASS RUSHER : Ezekial Ansah / Alex Okafor / Corey Lemonier / Chase Thomas / Brandon Jenkins
    - The first 3 are late 1st/early 2nd round types
    - The other 2 are reaches

I think the top 4-5 talents get taken before our pick... There are still some good 2nd tier guys. I'm hoping some talent slips. This may be the one where I am overly optomistic. May need to trade up or reach.

3rd - PLAYMAKING DB : Baccari Rambo / Robert Lester / Phillip Thomas
    - I have my heart set on Rambo. Have for quite some time
    - Lester doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
    - I'd settle for Thomas

This draft is ridiculously deep at safety. It's not an immediate need. I think we take a project type in the 3rd.

4th - RUNNING BACK: Marcus Lattimore / Kenjon Barner / Montee Ball / Jonathan Franklin / LeVeon Ball
    - Lattimore is worth this risk if available
    - I'd love Barner... he probably won't fall
    - Franklin is the most underrated back in the draft, and should be available

We desperately need speed at RB. We do not have any dual threat players at the position.

5th - QUARTERBACK PROJECT : Brad Sorenson
    - Brad Sorenson is my guy. I'm afraid he's going to blow everyone away at the combine.

there are a few other guys that I like here... but I don't want to Jinx it. Sorensen is the real deal.

6th - INSIDE LINEBACKER : Gerald Hodges / Kevin Reddick / Sean Porter / AJ Klein / Kiko Alonso
    - Hodges is probably a dream in the 6th
    - Sean Porter is a very interesting prospect. Very versatile. Could play inside or out.
    - Klein and Alonso need work

We need to add someone simply from a competition stand point.

7th - PROJECT PLAYER : Brad Schwenke OC / Larry Webster DE / Melvin White CB / Etienne Sabino OLB / Ryan Otten TE / TJ Barnes NT / Bruce Taylor ILB / Rashard Hall FS / Sanders Commings CB / Montorri Hughes NT / Stephon Jefferson RB
    Return of the Banana

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I like it......I enjoy reading the mocks and thanks for the time/effort you put into it......

i passionately disagree that there are 5 VERY good first round WRs, i think maybe 3 fringe first guys...i like allen the best personally

Assistant Coach

NPBs Latest Steeler Mock

The problem with people's views of WR in this draft is that their isn't that sure fire elite top 5 pick. That lifts the group up. There isn't an aj green or megatron, but there are a few Justin blackmon's and Michael crabree's.

Why do you like Allen the best?
    Return of the Banana

i dont think theres anything close to blackmon, dez, floyd or crabtree....this group reminds me more of the malcolm kelly, desean jackson, devin thomas, limas sweed and donnie avery year.

dont expect there to be AJ green, julio, or calvin every year....but these guys are collectively a notch below guys like britt, nicks, maclin, DHB, and crabtree, more like 2008 when there were no first rounders, just a bunch of second rounders

allen isnt quite the talent dez bryant was, but he is pretty close. Hes not blazing fast but hes got enough speed to be a deep threat. Hes got good body control, but hes very physical and thats where hes gonna add value to us because sanders, brown and wallace arent at all. Would really add a dimension to the offense and ben likes big targets, he could quickly grow into that role to replace heath in bens reads early in the season

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i dont think theres anything close to blackmon, dez, floyd or crabtree....this group reminds me more of the malcolm kelly, desean jackson, devin thomas, limas sweed and donnie avery year.

dont expect there to be AJ green, julio, or calvin every year....but these guys are collectively a notch below guys like britt, nicks, maclin, DHB, and crabtree, more like 2008 when there were no first rounders, just a bunch of second rounders

allen isnt quite the talent dez bryant was, but he is pretty close. Hes not blazing fast but hes got enough speed to be a deep threat. Hes got good body control, but hes very physical and thats where hes gonna add value to us because sanders, brown and wallace arent at all. Would really add a dimension to the offense and ben likes big targets, he could quickly grow into that role to replace heath in bens reads early in the season
    I don't like the Dez comparison, it implies explosiveness, and that's exactly what Keenan lacks. I do think he's the safest 1st rounder with the fewest holes in his game, the least question marks. That's really the point, this class has a lot of question marks (i'll touch on them later), but the talent is WAY better than the bust draft year of 2008.

I disagree very strongly as you can tell

Did you watch LSU v Clemson? Hopkins put on a performance better than anyhting Michael Floyd ever did in his collegiate career. Hopkins went from borderline 1st rounder, to top 20 player for me that day. He's going to dominate the combine and vault into competition for the #1 WR.

Hunter is also a ridiculous talent. If he hadn't torn his ACL, he would be compared to Julio/AJ in this draft. He was absolutely uncoverable in those first 2 games in 2011... and then disaster struck. it took him awhile to get it going this year, as might be expected... and now there are question marks around the knee... BUT... talent is off the charts.
    Return of the Banana

orignally from pittsburgh,but now stuck in browns country :(northeast ohio 30mins south of cleveland

My Social Networks

Add mcfly06 on Facebook
    i like it as well, i like Brad Sorenson also but what could hurt him is where he went to school Southern Utah. So that's why I think he could be there in the 5th. The RB we draft will prly be starting or playing a lot at RB as a Rookie.. Thats all i ask for that the players we take round 1-4 start and make a impact if they dont start, they make a impact where we go damn this guy is a beast. The QB we take better be ready to step in because lets face it most likely he will have to play some his rookie year. What about going after Jackson from the Rams? would you like that? and still draft a RB

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I don't like the Dez comparison, it implies explosiveness, and that's exactly what Keenan lacks. I do think he's the safest 1st rounder with the fewest holes in his game, the least question marks. That's really the point, this class has a lot of question marks (i'll touch on them later), but the talent is WAY better than the bust draft year of 2008.

I disagree very strongly as you can tell

Did you watch LSU v Clemson? Hopkins put on a performance better than anyhting Michael Floyd ever did in his collegiate career. Hopkins went from borderline 1st rounder, to top 20 player for me that day. He's going to dominate the combine and vault into competition for the #1 WR.

Hunter is also a ridiculous talent. If he hadn't torn his ACL, he would be compared to Julio/AJ in this draft. He was absolutely uncoverable in those first 2 games in 2011... and then disaster struck. it took him awhile to get it going this year, as might be expected... and now there are question marks around the knee... BUT... talent is off the charts.
    i think of allen like dez more his his physicality and ball skills, he really had to dazzle this year with all the horrible passes thrown his way.

i like hunter too, hes my #2, i just dont think hes in the same universe as julio or green....i said for years before they were drafted, like when they were freshman that their WR class was gonna be in a league of its own (was expecting it to be julio, green, floyd, dez all in the same year...didnt quite work out like that)

i did watch hopkins, hes a guy ill be watching more closely as the weeks go on, but as a #1 WR im not sure id like him in the first right now. combine is gonna be his time to shine

2nd String
    I like Hunter the best ... going into this next season he'll be 2 season from the Knee injury and should be full strength ... I think Hunter has the most upside because of that, if he goes back to 100% on that knee, he could be just as good as all the big names in the league I think

Assistant Coach
    Return of the Banana

Thread Information