Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Football Fixed???

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    That is far different than collaboratively making in game calls to manipulate the outcome of a game.

Does the NFL inconsistently make disciplinary decisions? Yep. Do they do it based on who you are? Sure.

However, that is far different than instructing officials to steer games in certain directions. One is the NFL protecting its image. The other calls the integrity of the entire league into question and again raises the question of why you even watch.
    Is the NFL fixed? Yep! Is the WWE fixed and fake, Yep!! It's all for the entertainment value, Goodell started planning this Hairball SB in week one!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Is the NFL fixed? Yep! Is the WWE fixed and fake, Yep!! It's all for the entertainment value, Goodell started planning this Hairball SB in week one!
    It is OK to believe it but do you really? Why will you watch next fall if the outcome of the season is already decided?

Do you ever brag to fans of other teams about the Steelers having six SBs? Why? According to you, they did not deserve those championships any more than Hulk Hogan deserved the WWF championship for 20 years.

This is what kills me. The "manipulation" and "fixing" ALWAYS goes in the direction of screwing the Steelers (just look at the examples given in this thread) when it is only common sense that the team with the MOST SUPER BOWL VICTORIES must have had it "fixed/manipulated" in their favor more than any other team. Is your favorite team having six fixed/manipulated championships something to be proud of?
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Is Football Fixed???

It's not decided per say but certain teams get an extra few calls. 2001 pats team winning the SB and getting there with some help... Just saying its fishy!! Hell even Bens first SB win was fishy but us homers will never admit it!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

I think the NFL has influence on who they want in the Superbowl. Sure as heck looked like they was pulling for Manning in 05 to get to the Supebowl but we ended up winning even with the bad calls. As for this year they pretty much wanted the Harbaugh bowl and specially Balt to be in it since Ray announced his retirement. No way do you let Flaco throw a hailmary with 30 seconds left on his own 30 with no timeouts needing a td to win and not just a field goal. Not to mention think it was second or third down and there only hope.

As for fixed by the bookies/spread I'll give you a example. Remember the Steelers vs Giants game a few years back ? Remember Troy grabbing that fumble and running it in for a td the last couple seconds left in the game. It was a td for sure and couldn't be argued. it was eventually took of the board from a call down from someone up stairs. Steelers still win game by 2 points so the fans didn't get upset and Giants turned out to still be a good bet with the spread.
    Last edited by BubbyBlister; 01-30-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Banned
    Again, this would be something that the entire NFL officiating crew (not to mention people in the NFL offices) would have to be in on. It is virtually impossible to keep such a secret from getting out. All it would take is one pi$$ed off former referee/employee to blow it up sky high.
    You mean like when Tim Donaghy came out and said that individuals from the NBA front office would call the officiating crew of a game and tell them which team they wanted to win? I suppose you said exactly what the sports media said, and what blind fans regurgitated: "oh he's just lying because he got caught." Hence, your assertion that "one pissed off former referee/employee" being capable of blowing it up sky high is worthless.

All I know is that I have only heard diehard Steeler fans make the claim that the refs were throwing the game to/manipulating the game. (Funny how the same people never cry "manipulation" when the Steelers get the benefit of poor calls). There was also no huge outcry after the Colts game, other than from Steeler fans.
    That's because you're a Steelers fan on a Steelers forum. Other fans of other teams see the same manipulation every season during certain games. You're just not in contact with them.

And how many neutral observers have made your "clear" observation?
    Like I clearly said, I have friends who are Giants fans who were laughing about the absurdity of the calls in that game following Hurricane Sandy.

Again, poor calls are different than purposely putting your thumb on the scale.
    Do you really believe your own garbage? Are you that desperate to believe that professional sports aren't manipulated that you're willing to spew nonsense? That's really sad. To say that the "tuck rule" was a poor call is like saying Lincoln's assassination was an accident. It's simply absurd. The "tuck rule" was completely misinterpreted on the spot, in the middle of a game, in order to justify giving the ball back to New England after their quarterback clearly and completely fumbled.

Perhaps you should look up the definition of "semantics" because you obviously do not know what it means. Ensuring the result of a game, "fixing" (the OP even went to the point of implying that the Denver DB allowed the late TD against Baltimore), is different than steering a game in a certain direction, "manipulating."
    Perhaps you should better understand the term "sports fixing" before recommending someone look up the definition of semantics. A game can be fixed without the result being completely ensured. This includes point shaving or running up the score in order to manipulate spreads. I don't care what the OP was alluding to. My point is that professional sports are indeed fixed/manipulated, whether it be to a complete or partially predetermined outcome.

Once again, you're arguing semantics because you're not even arguing that professional sports are not fixed, however, they may be partially fixed. You're arguing that professional sports are in no way, shape, or form fixed.

And frankly, there is very little evidence of even that. Referees are human. I DO believe that they get caught up in the excitement of a game and subconsciously make incorrect calls. That said, to imply that they do it consciously and collaboratively (which would have to come with the NFL's blessing) is unsupported. Furthermore, if you think otherwise, then you have to ask yourself why you invest Sunday afternoons every fall to watching highly paid roller derby queens.
    And that's exactly why the fixing of sports is done and will always be done. A majority of fans will always choose to put on blinders in order to maintain in their minds the purity of their favorite form of entertainment, rather than face reality and possibly lose interest in that which brings them hours of entertainment. They count on people like you.
    Last edited by NYCsteelersfan; 01-30-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    As for fixed by the bookies/spread I'll give you a example. Remember the Steelers vs Giants game a few years back ? Remember Troy grabbing that fumble and running it in for a td the last couple seconds left in the game. It was a td for sure and couldn't be argued. it was eventually took of the board from a call down from someone up stairs. Steelers still win game by 2 points so the fans didn't get upset and Giants turned out to still be a good bet with the spread.
    Excellent example. I completely forgot about that one. It was so blatant that Mike Francesca, a diehard Giants fan, talked about how it was done for point spread purposes. And it's rare for the sports media to admit something like that, but there was simply no other explanation for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Excellent example. I completely forgot about that one. It was so blatant that Mike Francesca, a diehard Giants fan, talked about how it was done for point spread purposes. And it's rare for the sports media to admit something like that, but there was simply no other explanation for it.
    Thanks man and also thought you last post was very honest and intelligent. Truth may hurt but it's still the truth and we shouldn't turn our heads away from it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    Thanks man and also thought you last post was very honest and intelligent. Truth may hurt but it's still the truth and we shouldn't turn our heads away from it.
    No problem. And it does hurt many, especially in this case. Telling avid sports fans that sports are manipulated is like telling a 4 year old that there is no Santa.

I'll admit, after the "tuck rule game," I became less of an NFL fan. And after the 2005 playoffs, I became even less of a fan. I still watch. It still entertains me. But I just don't see the pureness in the sport that I did when I was younger. And I understand that certain plays in certain games are in fact manipulated in an attempt to bring about a specific outcome, or sometimes to simply make the game closer and "more entertaining." It is what it is. I'm not going to lie to myself and ignore the obvious simply to enjoy the sport more than I do.

Banned
    Ray Lewis not suspended. Halftime spread had the Ravens giving 7. Lights go out and 49ers score 25 points. People who think the NFL is manipulated also wear tin foil hats. Sure.

Banned
    No call on Ed Reed's offsides.

No call on the 4th down hold.

Roger Goodell offers Ray Lewis a job before he's even done playing.

All coincidence I'm sure.

Thread Information