Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watching Yesterdays Games - This Is Really Evident

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Watching Yesterdays Games - This Is Really Evident

I know this topic comes up occasionally but after yesterday's games, especially the Ravens/Patriots game, I think it is important to emphasize a few things. There are three elements that are absolutely key to success:

The first is turnovers. I think the Ravens won that game on the two turnovers. As well as the offense did, I think the D won that game.

The second is the pass rush. Pressure, pressure, pressure. A sack at a key moment can entirely change the game.

Last, trusting the receivers. Use timing routes and don't be afraid to throw over the middle and into traffic. To win games, the QB has to force the ball and be aggressive.

It is obvious for the last two years the only thing going on in those areas of the Steelers game is chirping crickets. They have been the most mediocre, safe, and soft offense in the league. Our receivers, whoever they will be, will absolutely need to fight for the ball and make physical plays. If we get any more 5 11" - 6" 190 pound wide receivers I am going to scream. They need to go find a larger, physical WR and make use of him. Miller is the only guy on that team who goes to the ball.

Kaepernick (sp) and the 49's are going to the SB because they were aggressive. Very aggressive. Comparing the 49's offense to the Steelers offense is like comparing mixed marital arts to Wednesdaynite bingo at the retirement home. Maybe an exaggeration, but I think I made my point.

If the Steelers went into the playoffs I think they would have gotten destroyed. I am hoping for a more aggressive team on both sides of the ball next year. Safe, cushy play calling will not get a team through, or even into the playoffs. This team absolutely needs to re-evaluate the three areas I addressed. I am sure they are aware of these things, and I don't think they can achieve this with many of the personnel they currently have. If they don't make major changes it will be another 8-8 yawn fest.

All that and a few glaring intangibles as well. This was just a very uncharacteristic Steelers team, from the identity of teams that makes this franchise so special and that we're used to seeing on and of the field.

• The 2012 team had no cohesiveness or sense of purpose (identity) all year. Very uncharacteristic for Steelers teams.

• Too many egos and players with sense of entitlement. Again, NOT Steeler ball. Where'd that come from?!

• Soft leadership from the top down

The common thread of the last 4 teams this weekend was a shared sense of mission, goals, and even destiny. After everything falls into place these attributes are needed just as well.
    Last edited by Granite State Steel; 01-21-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Granite State Steel View Post
    All that and a few glaring intangibles as well. This was just a very uncharacteristic Steelers team, from the identity of teams that makes this franchise so special and that we're used to seeing on and of the field.

• The 2012 team had no cohesiveness or sense of purpose (identity) all year. Very uncharacteristic for Steelers teams.

• Too many egos and players with sense of entitlement. Again, NOT Steeler ball. Where'd that come from?!

The common thread of the last 4 teams this weekend was a shared sense of mission, goals, and even destiny. After everything falls into place these attributes are needed just as well.
    Well said!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Banned
    Leadership my ***.

Our identity sucks because we won't embrace the current NFL.

Offense? You need to be vertical. Take advantage of the rules that now phase out hitting and defense in the secondary.

Defense? Press coverage at the LOS, pass rushing with pressure, and take your chances.

The days of trying to steal wins 17-14 are over.

It's time to adapt, or die.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    rules that now phase out hitting and defense in the secondary. .
    Im all for the offense.. But let me see. Ridley out, Welker dizzy, a few other head spinners.... The ravens pounded the ball carrier. They forced them to surrender. We dont do that anymore Clark does....

Then Press coverage, the ravens created more film on how to beat marsha....

We need an new ILB, OLB We need a new OG and a smokin RB..

The rest of our team can be realigned to to win again.

Ben needs to try and stay clean himself. Too many self inflicted sacks and hits.

2nd String
    Very good points. Roll our eyes as much as we want, Ray retiring might have been the spark they needed. Intangible, yes - but a motivating factor? Yes. Flacco was playing for a contract. That helps too. The Steelers in their current state played all year not to lose games even before they started. Got a three point lead? Wow! Great job. Now go run some pedestrian plays and try to preserve that 3 point lead. Even after a being on the receiving end of a turnover on the other team's side of the field it was a run up the middle yawn fest. The Niners would throw to the endzone on the next play. The Steelers, well, let's cross our fingers - I think they can win 17-14!

I think I am going to send the coaching some hammers for two reasons: The first, to hammer the nails into an opposing team once they have lead - whether it be in the first or second half. The second to beat some motivation into the 75% of the team that totally underachieved. At least show the movie Rudy!

Quote Originally Posted by Granite State Steel View Post

My Mood
    Asleep
    OP...Steelers winning 8 games next season is a stretch. I have them finishing last in the division next season with 6 wins. This team is on a decline and it is going to take a couple three years to rebuild.
    1. O-line is busted
    2. Average RBs
    3. Defense is old
    4. No #1 WR on the depth charts

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSteelers View Post
    OP...Steelers winning 8 games next season is a stretch. I have them finishing last in the division next season with 6 wins. This team is on a decline and it is going to take a couple three years to rebuild.
    1. O-line is busted
    2. Average RBs
    3. Defense is old
    4. No #1 WR on the depth charts
    1. The offensive line does have two former first round pick and two former 2nd round picks.....All four are still young players.....The Potential is there for the OL to be a dominating group.......Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Adams just have to stay healthy......

2. The RB's are very bad and I wouldn't mind the Steelers drafting a RB and bringing in a vet RB....Not a Superstar but the RB position must upgraded no doubt....

3. The defense overall is an aging group.......But there is some young bright spots like Cortez Allen, hopefully Heyward......The Steelers must draft a pass rusher or two in this draft.........At least Timmons had a great season and should have another great season....

4. I agree no number 1 on the roster......The Steelers again will have to spend a high round pick on a WR in the draft......I would love the Steelers to make a run at DeWayne Bowe in free agency but I'm not counting on it.....

Your # 4 would be sweet!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

I think next season the Steelers wins 7 and Tomlin will be on the hot seat. We have a pretty tough schedule next year and Baltimore/Cincy are the real deals to. Then you have the Browns who can win one anytime. I really wish they will start Spence/Sly at ILB for ****s sakes.

-We're probably going to be missing Heath for half the season or more and our TE's arent really deep.
    -Who knows How Woodley is going to come into camp
    -If Harrison comes back which I think he does, will he be slower due to age?
    -Worried about the Oline due to the fact we havent got a Oline coach yet.
    -We dont have a true #1 receiver
    -Ben will probably miss 3-4 games
    -I really hope Pouncey plays a full 16 game season but it is highly unlikely.

I mean, I really get excited for preseason because that is the only time we get to see the young guys play.

Thread Information