Thread: Haley ran the ball LESS

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach

Haley ran the ball LESS

21st in Run as percent of plays called
    12th in Pass as percent of plays called
    40.27 percent of plays called were RUN
    59.23 percent of plays called were PASS

The PASS was a higher percent of our offense, than at any point in the last 10 years

You know those handful of series that stand out in your mind, and frustrate you because we ran on 1st and 2nd down.... well, those handful of series do not constitute an entire offense. You are looking at a fraction of a fraction of a percent of play calls.

The Steelers called more PASS plays as a percent of plays called than the Green Bay Packers, Denver Bronocos, New England Patriots, New York Giants.

The only playoff team that through the ball more often than the Steelers... was Atlanta

If you prorate Roethlisbergers Pass Plays over the time he missed (575 attempts), he would've thrown the 8th most passes in the league... only a few behind Peyton (583), and a few ahead of Rodgers (552)

You are wrong if you think any of the following :
    - The Steelers were a run first team in 2012
    - The Steelers emphasized the run over the pass in 2012
    - Haley turned the Steelers into a run first team

This isn't a debate. You can either accept the facts, or bury your head back in your false belief.
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Banned
    When and what type?

Arians was DESTROYED for his use of WR screens. Haley used them much worse.

When you have a minute to go in the half? You aren't running unless you go in the locker room.

7.3 YPA

Second lowest of Ben's career.

8-8.

who give a ****? he was working with way less talented RBs, i for one would rather throw the ball every play thatn hand it off to issac freaking redman for anything more than a 1-2 yard gain.

Mendenhall being hurt/inactive/suspended whatever was seriously affecting the play calling because no one, NO ONE was afraid of redman and dwyer even if they posted a few meaningless 100 yard stat games they still werent totally effective most of the time.

the offense needed to pass the ball, and they would be a playoff team if ben didnt end games on interceptions in the 4th and OT like 3 times in the year

that being said the best run blockers on the team (pouncey, colon, and mike adams) were hurt for a lot of the season when you combine their injuries

As far as RB's go i guess we dont have to worry about them not being scary to other teams since it looks like that position is going to be gutted.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    When and what type?
    do your own research. clearly you didn't or you'd have it ready
    *queue reference to 3 drives out of 200

Arians was DESTROYED for his use of WR screens. Haley used them much worse.
    Passes are not runs... the accusation is that Haley/Rooney turned the team into a run first, run focused, or run heavy offense... none of which is even remotely true. It's false. Completely False.

When you have a minute to go in the half? You aren't running unless you go in the locker room.
    That's a cute statement. Do you know how many TD/FG were scored in the NFL this season on a drive started in the final minute? Want to guess what percentage of those drives included run plays? I am asking you to guess, only because Ii already know that research isn't your strong suit.

7.3 YPA

Second lowest of Ben's career.

8-8.
    I agree with the importance of YPA.
    I also know that YPA has nothing to do with the Run game.

A lot of the WR screens were hot read calls by Ben. I just know that during the Steelers 4 game winning streak this year, they were averaging over 135 YPG rushing and rolling along and there wasn't too much complaining about running the ball.

Everything hit the fan once Ben got hurt.

In 2013, if the Steelers are relatively healthy but the offense shows the same inedptitude like they did games 10-16, then I will question whether or not Haley is the offensive answer. They were a JV team on offense in games 10-16 with a depleted O-line and a very injured QB who gutted out coming back earlier than he should have.

Crash, not calling you out, but that 4 game win streak happened before you started posting on the board on a regular basis. What are your thoughts on that?

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    A lot of the WR screens were hot read calls by Ben. I just know that during the Steelers 4 game winning streak this year, they were averaging over 135 YPG rushing and rolling along and there wasn't too much complaining about running the ball.

Everything hit the fan once Ben got hurt.

In 2013, if the Steelers are relatively healthy but the offense shows the same inedptitude like they did games 10-16, then I will question whether or not Haley is the offensive answer
    . They were a JV team on offense in games 10-16 with a depleted O-line and a very injured QB who gutted out coming back earlier than he should have.

Crash, not calling you out, but that 4 game win streak happened before you started posting on the board on a regular basis. What are your thoughts on that?
    Agreed. I expect significant improvement in execution next year
    1 - Healthy QB
    2 - 2nd year in playbook
    3 - young, healthy oline with year of experience

Concerns :
    1 - Lack of playmakers on offense

ben getting hurt was just an unfortunately massive blow to the team

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Concerns :
    1 - Lack of playmakers on offense
    The backfield concerns me the most. Are we looking at the days of Frank Pollard or Walter Abecrombie?

With the WR's, until they prove they can beat press coverage, most teams are going to line up and try to jam the WR's at the LOS. Defenses can stay in cover 2 here because there is no threat of any type of running game, and we have a banged up TE.

those are my offensive concerns.

Banned
    That's a cute statement. Do you know how many TD/FG were scored in the NFL this season on a drive started in the final minute
    The STEELERS led the NFL in points scored in the final 2 minutes.

Why? Because Haley's obsession with no hopers like Johnson and Paulson, and his constant rotation of running backs, can't happen when they are in hurry up.

Basically, the athletes are on the field, and the overachievers aren't.

Thread Information