Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar

Thumbs down The No Fun League strikes again

IndyStar.com Metro & State
    February 1, 2007

NFL's lawyers sack church's game plan

Powered by Topix.net
    By Robert King
    robert.king@indystar.com
    The thousands of churches across the country that want to host Super Bowl parties Sunday night had better not pull out big-screen TVs, or they could face the wrath of NFL attorneys.
    NFL PARTY RULES
    For groups that want to host Super Bowl parties -- other than sports bars and businesses that normally show televised sports -- here are rules the NFL says must be followed:

• No admission fees (even to pay for snacks).

• Only one television (55 inches or smaller).

• No use of the words "Super Bowl" in promotional materials.

• No exhibition of the game in connection with events "that promote a message."

Source: NFL

The NFL is telling Fall Creek Baptist Church in Indianapolis that the church's plans to use a wall projector to show the game at a party for church members and guests would violate copyright laws.
    NFL officials spotted a promotion of Fall Creek's "Super Bowl Bash" on the church Web site last week and sent pastor John D. Newland a letter -- via FedEx overnight -- demanding the party be canceled.
    Initially, the league objected to the church's plan to charge partygoers a fee to attend and that the church used the license-protected words "Super Bowl" in its promotions.
    Newland told the NFL his church would not charge partygoers -- the fee had been intended only to pay for snacks -- and that it would drop the use of the forbidden words.
    But the NFL wouldn't bite. It objected to the church's plans to use a projector to show the game on what effectively was a 12-foot-wide screen. It said the law limits the church to one TV no bigger than 55 inches.
    The league even took exception to the church's plan to influence nonmembers with a video highlighting the Christian testimonies of Colts coach Tony Dungy and Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith.
    "While this may be a noble message," NFL assistant counsel Rachel L. Margolies wrote in a follow-up e-mail, "we are consistent in refusing the use of our game broadcasts in connection with events that promote a message, no matter the content."
    Given all the NFL's concerns, the church appears unlikely to host a Super Bowl party.
    "The Colts and Tony Dungy are such good people -- and (team owner) Jim Irsay, too. We want to be supportive of our local team. I don't want to make our people choose between coming to church and watching the game. It is such a big event," Newland said.
    "For us to have all our congregation huddled around a TV that is big enough only for 10 or 12 people to watch just makes little sense."
    Newland said he expected there are churches across the country that are planning similar Super Bowl watch parties using big screens.
    NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league's longstanding policy is to ban "mass out-of-home viewing" of the Super Bowl. A major exception to the rule is made, however, for sports bars and other businesses that show televised sports as a part of their everyday operations.
    "We have contracts with our (TV) networks to provide free over-the-air television for people at home," Aiello said. "The network economics are based on television ratings and at-home viewing. Out-of-home viewing is not measured by Nielsen."
    Newland said his church won't break the law. But he sees a double standard at work when sports bars with giant screens can charge barstool rental fees and sell food, but his church can't offer a free event for families.
    "It just frustrates me that most of the places where crowds are going to gather to watch this game are going to be places that are filled with alcohol and other things that are inappropriate for children," Newland said. "We tried to provide an alternative to that and were shut down."

Call Star reporter Robert King at (317) 444-6089.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The NFL just pisses me off to no end. They're so damn money hungry and petty that they just ruin so much for so many people. It's a church for pete sake, a place where good people want to get together to watch the game and enjoy the sport..but NNNOOO We're the big bad NFL and we're going to take the fun out of watching the game just like we take the fun out of playing it !!

House of Steel
    THAT IS THE LAST STRAW, GIVE PEOPLE A DAMN BREAK. I will boycott the NFL if they keep this **** up. I will sue em myself for violation of Freedom of the Press, Freedom of Speech, and the Freedom to do what they damn well please when it comes to the NFL. Are they trying to ruin lives for people?

Why can't they just let people have a good time!!! My neighbor has a projection TV that takes up his whole wall and is a lot bigger than 55 inches... does that mean he can't watch the game because his screen is too big?

The NFL needs to lighten up a little and back off!!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well, they sent me a letter.....lol And my TV is only 52 inches so I guess I'm safe there. Next they'll be telling you how many people you can have at your house to watch it because that could impact ratings.
    What a joke. I should find everyone with NFL Sunday ticket and have us all send them a letter about their actions and let them know that none of us will buy it again because it could hurt the local TV ratings.

That's a bunch of crap. It's always fun to watch events like that with a group of people. Esp. if it's your team in the big game. It's sad...

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im tempted to go out and rent a HUGE TV and put up a sign that says "come watch the super bowl here and tell the NFL to bite the big one" !

Thread Information