Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Manti T'eo Girlfriend Hoax

Bookmark and Share
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Um, Mantai HIMSELF has mentioned in interviews that he met her.

Something is wrong here. He's either mental or he did something very bad and is trying to cover it up.
    Someone in the story (perhaps a relative) said he was 80% sure Te'o was involved. However, Te'o did go to the coach and say he was a victim of a hoax.

I don't think the whole story has played out yet. But it's relevant for us because this is a guy who many people (including myself) hoped they would draft.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Someone in the story (perhaps a relative) said he was 80% sure Te'o was involved. However, Te'o did go to the coach and say he was a victim of a hoax.

I don't think the whole story has played out yet. But it's relevant for us because this is a guy who many people (including myself) hoped they would draft.

How can he be a victim? He actively played a part in the hoax by claiming to have met her and speaking on the phone with her every night while in the hospital?

Manti T'eo Girlfriend Hoax

Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    How can he be a victim? He actively played a part in the hoax by claiming to have met her and speaking on the phone with her every night while in the hospital?
    The university now put their neck on the line for this kid. A lot at stake right now, lets see how it all plays out!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    Who's to say he didn't meet someone? If the person went through this much trouble, they could easily have a friend pose as her and meet him. That being said, I remain skeptical, and hopeful that this is not true.

Either this is an all time hoax portrayed on T'eo or an all time hoax portrayed by T'eo. Either way, I'm sure this will get crazier before it ends.

What a got from the article i read was that it was some dude in cali who had met Te'O and the supposed girl but neither at the same time, or something like that.

It is a strange situation. Im not sure whats going on. But the fact that he came to school officials saying that he believed to be part of a hoax makes me think he really got played for a fool.

Alot of people (myself included) dont understand how you can meet an online GF and fall that much for them without every meeting them but that is how younger kids do it now-a-days. Our face to face social skills are deteriorating.

I knew this kid in college that had met a GF online and they would Instant Message and Txt each other all the time about how they loved each other and what they would do when they met. So one day they decided shed come to our college for a party, and once she got there both of them were so awkward and acted like they were scared or embarrassed to talk to one another.

Then after she left the next day they went right back to talking online constantly... The younger generations are too technology dependent. The days of going out and finding guys/girls to date in person, and building your social skills?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Manti T'eo, alumni of NoSuch Dame (h/t commenter at the end of the article).

Interesting story. It seems that either he is wildly dishonest and knew about it or he is as gullible as they come. Neither is a great personality trait.

Perhaps Real Deal Steel is right and T'eo is a "fraud", just not in the way he thought.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Either way i will save my final judgement until we learn the whole truth, but as of right now i just think the kid got cat-fished and i feel sorry for him and it does not deter me from still wanting to snag him if he falls to 17.

But if it comes out that he was involved just to get national media attention to get people to feel sorry for him, then thats deff not the type of person we want on this team given our off the field issues already.

But from his emotions and the way he acted if it was fake and he was in on it the kid deserves an acadmey award cause he really put on a believable show.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC607 View Post
    It is a strange situation. Im not sure whats going on. But the fact that he came to school officials saying that he believed to be part of a hoax makes me think he really got played for a fool.
    Perhaps, but it is also possible that he did not go to the school officials until he knew the story was going to blow up and he wanted to get out in front of it. I am not saying this is the case, only that it is possible.

I would also have to wonder why he stated that he had met her in Hawaii, he spent all night on the phone with her, etc., if he was not in on the hoax. It is possible that he was trying to avoid the stigma of online relationships and made up these stories about a women he felt was real in order to justify his "love" for her but a lot of questions remain.

Without further information I would not draft the kid, especially in the first round. Maybe in the late rounds where there is little risk (like Vontaze Burfict, who went undrafted) but that is it. There are situations where he could come out as truly a victim but there are just too many questions to risk a needed pick on him.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC607 View Post
    Either way i will save my final judgement until we learn the whole truth, but as of right now i just think the kid got cat-fished and i feel sorry for him and it does not deter me from still wanting to snag him if he falls to 17.

But if it comes out that he was involved just to get national media attention to get people to feel sorry for him, then thats deff not the type of person we want on this team given our off the field issues already.

But from his emotions and the way he acted if it was fake and he was in on it the kid deserves an acadmey award cause he really put on a believable show.
    I agree, final judgment must be held until the full story comes out and I expect it eventually will. If it does not come out before the draft though, it is a big flashing caution light for me...

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Perhaps, but it is also possible that he did not go to the school officials until he knew the story was going to blow up and he wanted to get out in front of it. I am not saying this is the case, only that it is possible.

I would also have to wonder why he stated that he had met her in Hawaii, he spent all night on the phone with her, etc., if he was not in on the hoax. It is possible that he was trying to avoid the stigma of online relationships and made up these stories about a women he felt was real in order to justify his "love" for her but a lot of questions remain.
    I mean ive seen the stories of people talking to the people on the phone, just to find out there was multiple people in on the hoax and just had a random female talking to him. Which made him think he was talking to HER.

But your theory deff has traction. He could easily have started to see the foundation for this lie start to crumble and went to college officials just to get a jump on the situation to make it seem like he was concerned he was being played for a fool before anyone called him out on it first. Pretty much saving face.

But like we all know lies and always found out. And covering up a lie with another lie with another lie at the end it always eventually breaks down and the truth comes out because after a while **** just doesnt make sense, or they say something that contradicts what they previously said, or they back track and say oh well i said that but i meant this.

In the end the truth comes out. It always does. I just hope for his sake he is telling the truth or he just screwed himself.

Thread Information