Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Blitz, K-Train, Latrobe, what's the word??

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    Now that Chubbs Peterson is staying look for a new OL coach hire next week,

My Mood
    Addicted
    I thought this thread was about our next o-line coach? With that in mind, what about Jeff Stoutland from Alabama? I know he had a lot of talent to work with, but their o-line has been awesome the passed 2 years since he's been there. I don't know what kind of blocking scheme he runs or if that would work with the guys we have, but I'd at least interview the guy. What do you all think?

Tunch Ilkin would be an interesting choice, but my concern is he's never coached before. Also, since he works for WDVE covering the Steelers, there could be some difficulties getting the players to listen to him. Know what I mean? It's like they say, you don't usually want a former player as a coach since they already have friendships with the guys on the roster.

It's going to be interesting to see who the Steelers even interview for the position. As for special teams, I'd again, look at the college ranks. There's a lot of young motivated coaches in college that are looking for a chance to prove themselves and I think someone like that could add a spark to a unit that's been pathetic for the last several seasons.

Chris
    Last edited by Cricker24; 01-18-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Banned
    Tunch has never been on a staff before. But he's been doing private coaching sessions in off seasons with linemen for years. Teams also use his instructional videos on techniques as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricker24 View Post
    I thought this thread was about our next o-line coach? With that in mind, what about Jeff Stoutland from Alabama? I know he had a lot of talent to work with, but their o-line has been awesome the passed 2 years since he's been there. I don't know what kind of blocking scheme he runs or if that would work with the guys we have, but I'd at least interview the guy. What do you all think?

Tunch Ilkin would be an interesting choice, but my concern is he's never coached before. Also, since he works for WDVE covering the Steelers, there could be some difficulties getting the players to listen to him. Know what I mean? It's like they say, you don't usually want a former player as a coach since they already have friendships with the guys on the roster.

It's going to be interesting to see who the Steelers even interview for the position. As for special teams, I'd again, look at the college ranks. There's a lot of young motivated coaches in college that are looking for a chance to prove themselves and I think someone like that could add a spark to a unit that's been pathetic for the last several seasons.

Chris
    I havent looked at Jeff Stoutland alot but at first look ill say he puts out Stud Olines after Stud Olines...

Is it him or the talent tho?

hard to say but with the talent theyve had the last 5 years you dont even need a coach at the college level...even that bad ones that arent good pros are men among boys at the collegiate level.

he has produced quality first round picks though...andre smith, carpenter, and now warmack, jones, fluker potentially

i was thinking that, i mean even with the talent tho he has to get some credit for coaching them up. Who knows but with the Olines hes been in charge of and their history of work he sure looks like he knows what hes doing.

My Mood
    Addicted
    That's what I'm saying, talent isn't enough by itself. If that were the case, then teams like the Chargers a few years ago and the Cowboys more recently would have won championships since they had tons of talent. However, the coaches on those teams weren't very good and that's why the talent didn't live up to the potential. It's kind of the chicken or the egg theory. Are Alabama's offensive lines so good because of the talent or because of the coaches? I think it's somewhere in between. Obviously the Steelers have talent along the o-line, but I think they need a coach like Stoutland to help these guys reach their potential. You can keep picking o-line guys in the first or second rounds all you want, but we need a coach to make them better. I understand that injuries don't help and perhaps Kugler truly did the best he could with what he had, but it just seemed to me that the o-line never really progressed during his tenure. Anyway, that's just what I'm thinking.

Chris

My Mood
    Manic
    Is Howard Mudd availlible

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Is Howard Mudd availlible
    I hope you're being sarcastic. Did you see the Eagles offensive line last year?

My Mood
    Addicted
    I see a lot of talk about Tunch. Although he was a popular player, has he coached since leaving the NFL? How long has he been out of the game? What is driving everyone's thoughts that he would be a good OL coach.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the player that "tipped" the other team as to the play being a run or pass by his stance? If so, would we want someone so fundamentally incorrect coaching our players?

Thread Information