Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps the next draft needs to be about offense instead of defense...

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Then give me Keenan Allen all day provided he'll be there. I just dont like any other WR at 17 as of right now. I would not be opposed to trading down if WR indeed was the pick in the first.
    i don;t mind reaching for the WRs i like... i'd rather get the guy i think will be a quality player, over trading down and taking whoever is there.

i think Hopkins has a sidney rice type of skill set. big, fast, huge hands, power and speed combo.
    i think Patterson would a super risky pick, that could pay off with a franchise WR talent... the guy has AJ Green skills, but lacks the tape to back it up

i think hunter is a bit generic, woods is another usc bust, terrance williams is solid... trading down for them would be... disappointing.

i don't like trading down when a player i like is available... taking the risk that im left with lesser quality players all for another 3rd round... not that enticing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Alex Smith deserved to go instead of Brady.

Personally I'm a believer in picking up value over any given position. Especially in our current situation with so many "glaring" needs. Don't get me wrong, I like Hopkins a lot, but at this given time I don't see him as the kind of talent which is worthy of a 17th pick in the first round, when we could pick up someone else on another position who is more talented. I know that is an ambigious discussion though, because how do you evalutate interpositional talent? Still, lets set up an example. If for instance Mingo should fall to 17, and Hopkins is there too, you have to go with Mingo because he is the better football player of the 2. My point is that I believe that we would be able to find better football players than Hopkins at 17.

Note, I might turn 180 on this one after the combine I really do like Hopkins a lot, but not enough to have Steelers reaching for him.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Assistant Coach
    i would go with Mingo over Hopkins... i have them ranked pretty close (you can see my post bowl game top 64 big board in the "war room".

I think Mingo, similar to Patterson at WR.... has all the talent, but the tape is disappointing.

Mingo (15), Hopkins(17), and Patterson(19) are all in my top 20

Agreed... a lot will change post combine. I need Mingo to show me the freak athletic numbers, because the tape this year... disappointing. If Patterson runs a sub 4.45... that could change things as well.

Hopkins is the total package... i'd happily take him at 17

honesty : years ago i ranted and raved about how Antaj Hawthorne (wisconsin) was going to be the most dominant DT to come out since Warren Sapp. then he got high before the draft, tested for marijuana, fell to the 6th round Raiders, and went to NFL Europe never to be heard from again.... point being... it's the ****ing draft, even the guys who get paid to analyze these guys get **** wrong all the time.
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 01-13-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Perhaps the next draft needs to be about offense instead of defense...

Not to turn this into a Mingo debate, but if anything the tape from this year shows that he is a 3-4 OLB. He is not going to be able to do what JPP or Aldon Smith can, but he can get around the tackle and sack the QB. I agree though, he has some stuff to show at the combine. The cone drills should be his forte.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Assistant Coach
    dion jordan is the freak (jpp, aldon) in this draft... want so badly

I like him around 17 as well. I think all defenses should want a guy like that. We had one in Harrison a few years back and it just opens up so much for the rest. Dion or Mingo would both be awesome. I like Dion over Mingo in our scheme though; he had been asked to drop into coverage, whereas Mingo only knows how to run in a straight line towards the QB.

Assistant Coach
    i think it was the game against arizona st... when i realized that they were using jordan in the slot to cover WRs...regularly.

mingo would be a good pick @17
    jordan would be a steal @17

i;d trade up for Jordan... there is a big drop off in talent after the top 50-60 prospects imo... a 3rd round would be better served, if used to move up and get an elite talent

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    JUST FOR FUN....

1st - DeAndre Hopkins WR or Cordarelle Patterson WR
    2nd - Marcus Lattimore RB or Giovanni Bernard RB
    3rd - Denard Robinson WR or Stedman Bailey WR
    4th - Joseph Fauria TE
    If you want to go all out offense...
    Wouldn't be mad with Hopkins
    I don't think you should spend a 2nd round on a RB , especially one that we would have to wait probably a year to get anything if anything out of ... maybe years before we were in a position to draft for the future, I don't think so anymore
    I would rather Ryan Swope here
    Don't think he'll be there in the 4th ... a 6'7 TE that can run and catch in todays NFL , i don't see anyway he lasts

Oh yeah I really like Mike Gillislee 3-4

This year will be like having two drafts with all the hurt rookies coming back.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
    Wouldn't be mad with Hopkins
    I don't think you should spend a 2nd round on a RB , especially one that we would have to wait probably a year to get anything if anything out of ... maybe years before we were in a position to draft for the future, I don't think so anymore
    I would rather Ryan Swope here
    Don't think he'll be there in the 4th ... a 6'7 TE that can run and catch in todays NFL , i don't see anyway he lasts

Oh yeah I really like Mike Gillislee 3-4
    swope is going to go earlier than he's currently being projected. he's a fit for a lot of teams. would you take him in the 2nd? because he wont be there in the 3rd IMO

Miami has two 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders.... and desperately needs WRs.... i bet they take two WRs in the first 3 rounds

Thread Information