Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers wide receivers

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC607 View Post
    I dont think we need to spend a 1st Rder on a WR....We have other massive problems

Ryan Swope, Connor Vernon, Marquess Wilson, Aaron Mellette to name a few RD 4 or later guys as an example.

You could pray that guys like Robert Woods, Justin Hunter, DaRick Rodgers falls to the 3rd but who knows the draft is hard to predict and nowadays everyone loves Offense so WR fly off the boards.

But if we ended up going WR in the 1st or 2nd i wouldnt be mad if players like J. Jones, Mingo, Te'O, Warmack are off the board at pick 17... But i really think a Pass Rusher is a top priority. We need someone to replace Harrison because to be honest behind him we have no one.
    i agree... pass rusher is the primary need... but if the big 5 are gone (werner, jones, jordan, moore, mingo), then im leaning WR (Hopkins or Patterson) @17
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Info needs to be verified by a link. Nice try.

For those of you who want to bitch about the Steelers not scoring enough, and assuming that it's Roethlisberger's fault, allow me to slap you with some facts:

1. Only four teams had fewer TD runs than the Steelers this season.

2. Only three teams had fewer defensive TDs than the Steelers this season.

3. No team had fewer special teams TDs than the Steelers this season.

4. Only two teams had fewer non-passing TDs than the Steelers this season.

5. Only seven teams had more TD passes than the Steelers this season.*

(*: This despite Ben Roethlisberger missing three-and-a-half games due to injury.)

If you divide 16 by 12.5, and then multiply the quotient by 26, you get a number that rounds to 33, which means that Ben Roethlisberger was on pace to throw 33 TD passes in 16 games. (Yes, he could have thrown less than 33 if he played 16 games, but he could just as easily have thrown more than 33.) With 33 TD passes, the Steelers would have ranked 5th in TD passes, but they'd still only rank 15th in total TDs, which illustrates just how bad every other unit of the team was at scoring TDs. The best teams score TDs in all different ways. Three of the four teams that played today got TDs from either their defense or their special teams, and the one that didn't got four TDs from their running game. (That's half as many TD runs in one playoff game as the Steelers had all season.)

Plain and simple, the passing game is not responsible for the Steelers' scoring problems. They're the only unit putting points on the board reliably.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 01-13-2013 at 01:49 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

I dont think ive seen anybody in this topic blaming Ben. The original poster just asked if we would go WR in the 1st round or not, and what peoples thoughts on it were.

And me and laser kangaroo were saying how WR was not a big enough need to go RD 1...or 2 for that matter... Especially if there are good Pass Rushing OLB prospects on the board. However if there are not, and given that fact wallace could be gone and heath will be out for a while and sanders could even get snagged if we tender him under a 1st rounder.

We could possibly be going into next yr with just Brown and Cotchery so WR is a need. and if all the good pass rushers are gone at 17 a WR like DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams could be a possibility along with even a RB like Ed Lacy.

You never know
    Were gonna need to pick a WR up at some point in the draft if we dont sign wallace so.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by jdehoff83 View Post
    Wrs can make a qb look alot better though and we dont have one that does. Boldin and smith just bail flacco out every game. We need a sure handed wr that makes tough catches...and its not wallace sorry.. keep slurpin bro lololol
    I believe we had one (Hines) and have one (Cotch) but the latter never plays...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    For those of you who want to bitch about the Steelers not scoring enough, and assuming that it's Roethlisberger's fault, allow me to slap you with some facts:

1. Only four teams had fewer TD runs than the Steelers this season.

2. Only three teams had fewer defensive TDs than the Steelers this season.

3. No team had fewer special teams TDs than the Steelers this season.

4. Only two teams had fewer non-passing TDs than the Steelers this season.

5. Only seven teams had more TD passes than the Steelers this season.*

(*: This despite Ben Roethlisberger missing three-and-a-half games due to injury.)

If you divide 16 by 12.5, and then multiply the quotient by 26, you get a number that rounds to 33, which means that Ben Roethlisberger was on pace to throw 33 TD passes in 16 games. (Yes, he could have thrown less than 33 if he played 16 games, but he could just as easily have thrown more than 33.) With 33 TD passes, the Steelers would have ranked 5th in TD passes, but they'd still only rank 15th in total TDs, which illustrates just how bad every other unit of the team was at scoring TDs. The best teams score TDs in all different ways. Three of the four teams that played today got TDs from either their defense or their special teams, and the one that didn't got four TDs from their running game. (That's half as many TD runs in one playoff game as the Steelers had all season.)

Plain and simple, the passing game is not responsible for the Steelers' scoring problems. They're the only unit putting points on the board reliably.
    Good post and where that matters most is the red zone. Imagine 1st and goal from the 7, is there anyone that would be afraid of the Steelers running it in from there with 2-3 power runs? Even an average running game would make Ben MUCH better.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Good post and where that matters most is the red zone. Imagine 1st and goal from the 7, is there anyone that would be afraid of the Steelers running it in from there with 2-3 power runs? Even an average running game would make Ben MUCH better.
    Running game isn't necessarily the result of the Running Backs ... the OLine is never healthy ... with a healthy Decastro and Healthy Mike Adams and Healthy Willy Colon , the Running game should be vastly improved ... there is no RB that would work behind the patch work line they had to put out there, except Barry Sanders cause he did it with no Oline

Think Peterson would go over 2k yards with Oline of Starks - Foster - Pouncey - ? wasn't it like Maliki or something like that - Beachum???

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
    Running game isn't necessarily the result of the Running Backs ... the OLine is never healthy ... with a healthy Decastro and Healthy Mike Adams and Healthy Willy Colon , the Running game should be vastly improved ... there is no RB that would work behind the patch work line they had to put out there, except Barry Sanders cause he did it with no Oline

Think Peterson would go over 2k yards with Oline of Starks - Foster - Pouncey - ? wasn't it like Maliki or something like that - Beachum???
    Believe me, I understand that our crappy running game is a team "effort." The O-Line is just as responsible as those spare parts we call "running backs."

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Where?

And their fans.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    when we were running the ball well the OL was fairly the same line-up... soon as we started our musical chairs due to injuries it was over

that reason, plus Ben getting hurt teams weren't scared of Ben over top. Their defense could stop the run with our suspect back-up talent and completely average RBs and concentrate on either getting to Ben or dropping into coverage to cover for him... then our WRs didnt help the situation either.

The problem is not the either the Offense and Defensive systems... its talent (or lack there-of), injuries (not conditioning), the inability to groom and play the young guys faster (coaches) and the lack of fire/leadership on and off the field, no attitude, no confidence.

Individual aspects of the game we need to improve: Pass rush, OL Coach worth a damn (Personally Im glad Kuger is gone), a RB, a ST's coach worth a damn.

Our current WRs im down on: I dont want to lose Wallace or Sanders, but Id rather not lose Sanders. I really like Cotch, I like to see Plex come back b/c he'll prolly be hungry to prove something. But I do think that NONE of them may be a true #1 WR (as far as route, to catch, to holding onto it, to overall playmaking ability). I do think we can "get by" with AB and Sanders, however theres no way we should take a WR high in the draft, theres many more "holes" IMO.

March 1st cant get here fast enuff...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    when we were running the ball well the OL was fairly the same line-up... soon as we started our musical chairs due to injuries it was over

that reason, plus Ben getting hurt teams weren't scared of Ben over top. Their defense could stop the run with our suspect back-up talent and completely average RBs and concentrate on either getting to Ben or dropping into coverage to cover for him... then our WRs didnt help the situation either.

The problem is not the either the Offense and Defensive systems... its talent (or lack there-of), injuries (not conditioning), the inability to groom and play the young guys faster (coaches) and the lack of fire/leadership on and off the field, no attitude, no confidence.

Individual aspects of the game we need to improve: Pass rush, OL Coach worth a damn (Personally Im glad Kuger is gone), a RB, a ST's coach worth a damn.

Our current WRs im down on: I dont want to lose Wallace or Sanders, but Id rather not lose Sanders. I really like Cotch, I like to see Plex come back b/c he'll prolly be hungry to prove something. But I do think that NONE of them may be a true #1 WR (as far as route, to catch, to holding onto it, to overall playmaking ability). I do think we can "get by" with AB and Sanders, however theres no way we should take a WR high in the draft, theres many more "holes" IMO.

March 1st cant get here fast enuff...
    If tender Sanders a rd 3. I wouldn't be too mad if somebody took him off our hands ... give us more options ... Bring back Plax and Cotch ... so go into the draft with Brown, Cotch , Plax ... easily get a 1-3rd receiver to give some youth...

Thread Information