Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why it's time to move on from Keisel and Hampton in 2012, Polamalu and Clark 2013

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Why it's time to move on from Keisel and Hampton in 2012, Polamalu and Clark 2013

Been debating this one in my head off and on for awhile now, and I often get flamed for comparing the Steelers front office with that of the Patriots but this is another point where Pittsburgh needs to stop this endless love affair with veterans and replenish the stock on defense in particular.

They've invested 2 first round picks in Hood and Heyward in the last 5 years and a solid NT prospect in McLendon; Hood is a starter who's slightly above average IMO and used completely the wrong way. Heyward shows flashes whenever he gets a chance to play but that's rare. Why not cut ties with both Keisel and Hampton, and actually give way to the guys who are the future in Heyward and McLendon. Cut these guys while they are still productive so you aren't stuck holding the bag when they deteriorate like we saw with Farrior and Ward in 2011.

Keisel had a good year overall last season but Da Beard has has been around since 2002 and Heyward is waiting. Even if you aren't comfortable with the depth, then maybe you push Heyward ahead of Keisel or at least give them equal playing time. Perhaps you get a few more years of depth out of Da Beard and valuable experience for Cam?

There is no viable replacement for Polamalu and Clark right now, how much longer can they last? Can we really justify the lack of attention to this position over the years? Regardless of other needs on the team, Troy has only been able to play in all 16 games in a year, 5 times since he came into the league in 2003. In 2011, even if he played in 16 games he was often hurt and not as effective.

How much longer can Clark last, he's been around for 10 years now and while he's generally durable he's not going to last forever. He's still playing at a high level but so was Farrior a couple years before he really showed signs of wear and tear. If you wait until the last minute you'll be left holding the bag with inexperienced players who may not work out.

The time is now and at the end of 2013 to move on with a new regime; much like New England does. They have no allegiance to any veterans other than Tom Brady and maybe Vince Wilfork. They realize it's time to cut ties with players wile their still productive but clearly in the twilight of their career, rather than wait until it's too late and end up with a situation like Pittsburgh has been in recently with jettisoning old weight.

Is this just a situation where Tomlin inherited an old team and has to try and rebuild over time? Sure that's part of it, but poor day 2 drafting, old veterans who are still around, and overlooking the Safety spot in particular is coming back to bite them.

Im ready to let go of Clark and Hampton/Keisel. Im ready to see Heyward play and Mclendon. Id like to see Troy play 1 more year to see if he can still be near the same guy he was if healthy.

Assistant Coach
    I disagree with Keisel... unless we are implementing an entirely new scheme up front.

I'd caution fans to be ready for a huge drop off in the play of our front 7 after Hampton and Keisel are removed.

Hood-McLendon-Heyward... I don't think ANY of those 3 are capable of anchoring Lebeau's scheme up front or executing the type of gap control necessary to make it successful.

It all starts up front... and that front 3 is completely inadequate for it's intended purpose

without a high quality D Line, a 3-4 defense can look REALLY bad....

Hood is garbage
    McClendon is a gap penetrator, not a gap anchor
    Heyward has shown almost nothing

It will never happen with Lebeau around... but it makes a lot of sense to transition to a 4-3.
    Better fit for : Hood, McClendon, Heyward, Woodley, Timmons
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 01-09-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Alex Smith deserved to go instead of Brady.

I have zero faith in Hood. He is just flat out terrible in what they are asking him to do. I don't really like McClendon either. As Mr. Banana said, he can rush the QB fine enough, but he is not the DT who'll take up 2-3 guys and make room for our LBs. Heyward, however, is amazing in my book. I know he has shown very little so far, but he has not really been given any chances either. He is by far the strongest of our current DEs. He gets plenty of push, but he sorely needs to see the field more. If for nothing else then for the coaches and fans to evaluate whether we actually have a future DE in him.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I disagree with Keisel... unless we are implementing an entirely new scheme up front.

I'd caution fans to be ready for a huge drop off in the play of our front 7 after Hampton and Keisel are removed.

Hood-McLendon-Heyward... I don't think ANY of those 3 are capable of anchoring Lebeau's scheme up front or executing the type of gap control necessary to make it successful.

It all starts up front... and that front 3 is completely inadequate for it's intended purpose

without a high quality D Line, a 3-4 defense can look REALLY bad....

Hood is garbage
    McClendon is a gap penetrator, not a gap anchor
    Heyward has shown almost nothing

It will never happen with Lebeau around... but it makes a lot of sense to transition to a 4-3.
    Better fit for : Hood, McClendon, Heyward, Woodley, Timmons
    Time to see Keith Butler's vision for this Defense. They have the young talent to get after teams.

My Mood
    Fine
    I always see people saying not in LeBeau's Defense. It's Keith Butler's Time. With the aging high priced vets It's time to switch it up.

I'll roll the dice and cut ties with Kiesel and Hampton this year. Steelers need to draft or bring in someone to push Hood though. Steelers 1st (2) picks this year have to be safety / OLB. These guys can get a taste and learn behiond Troy / Clark and Harrison / Woody. One more person needs to go and that is Larry Foote. Solid vs the run, but a LIABILITY in pass coverage.

Aaron Smith didn't exactly light up the scoreboard with stats; wasn't his defined role. He, along with all linemen are to occupy blockers, clog running lanes. Unfortunately nothing in their assignments involve pass rush.

Difference between Steelers D-Line and Texans D-Line is while both run a 3-4, the Front 3 for the Texans are preached to get penetration. How else does JJ Watts get 20.5 sacks?

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Difference between Steelers D-Line and Texans D-Line is while both run a 3-4, the Front 3 for the Texans are preached to get penetration. How else does JJ Watts get 20.5 sacks?
    There is almost nothing similar about the scheme Wade runs and the scheme Dick runs

letting keisel go would be a huge mistake

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    letting keisel go would be a huge mistake
    Agreed

Thread Information