Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What moves would you make?

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

What moves would you make?

If you were the GM what moves would you make ... I seen this on another Steelers site , thought it would be fun to see some people point of views...

Cut/ Restructure
    According to these articles,
    I would do all the restructures(20 mill saved) ,
    Cut Harrison(5 mill saved) ,
    Cut Keisel and Cotchery(4 mill saved)
    Restructure or release Ike Taylor (My favorite player on the Steelers so this hurts, but business is business and it would save 4 mill)...
    Resign for Cheaper or Cut Colon (1 mill in cap savings)....
    Suisham played good but he will not be allowed to make 1.76 , cut him would save 1 mill
    that would free up about 35 mill ... (16 over the cap to start , save 35 , now have 19mil open) ... all numbers are rounded for easy math
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12...-restructures/
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12...y-cap-numbers/
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08...cap-situation/

Resigns
    With only 19 mill to work with
    Sign - Keneen Lewis - 4 mill a year? sounds fair to me.... now down to 15 mill
    Sign - Max Starks - 1 mill ... now down to 14 mill
    Sign - Ramon Foster - 2 mill a year? ... now down to 13 mill
    Bring back the backup QB Johnson had on the pre season roster , and Denise Dixon ... both would be minimum signings , whatever that is ... so say still have 12 mill Left
    Sign Mike Wallace - say 7 Mill a year (or around the deal Brown got) - 5 mill left to sign draft picks
    Give Sanders a 5th round tender, somebody baits and takes it - so we get an extra 5th round pick (bare with me you'll see)
    Can Also resign Troy and Clark to clear up a little bit more cap maybe?

Draft using http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp (to see who will be left when)
    1st - trade back with Rams , they want to jump infront of the Bears to take the best Oline ... either Warmack or Eric Fisher , get an extra 4th and 5th to drop back 4 spots
    1st (From Rams) - Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame - Need with Heath out and getting older
    2nd - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers - Need with letting Ike go, and Curtis Brown showed nothing, and he plays like a Steeler
    3rd - Da'Rick Rodgers - WR - Tennessee Tech - Letting Cotch go, and adding a tall receiver and allowing to come out in 3 WR and Brown to work the middle
    4th(from Rams) - Gerald Hodges - ILB/OLB - Penn State - probably will move inside if Spence isn't ready, but can play Outside also if needed, 2 years with other 100 tackles, and good in coverage
    4th - Duke Williams - SS - Nevada - Love the Value here, will be a good Pro, great at running with receivers and TEs
    5th (from Sanders tender) - D.J. Swearinger - FS - South Carolina
    5th (from Rams) - Omoregie Uzzi - OG - Gerogia Tech - Depth
    5th - Trevardo Williams - OLB - Conn - Great Pass rush upside value here
    6th - Dustin Hopkins - K - Florida State - Suisy gone , a need
    7th - John Wetzel - OT - Boston College - Depth

Depth Chart
    Offense
    QB - Ben , Johnson - Dixon
    RB - Dwyer - Redman - Rainey - Batch
    WR - Wallace- Rodgers
    WR- Brown- Toney Clemons
    TE- Heath - Eifert - Paulson
    LT - Gilbert - Starks
    LG - Foster - uzzi
    C - Pouncey - Legs
    RG - Decastro - Uzzi -
    RT - Adams - Beachum - Wetzel

Defense
    DE - Heyward - Woods
    NT - Mclendon - Tamu - Fangpu
    DE - Hood - Woods
    ROLB - Worilds - Carter - Trevardo Williams
    ILB - Timmons - Sly
    ILB - Spence - Hodges
    LOLB - Woodley - Trevardo Williams
    CB - Keenan Lewis - Cortez Allen - Logan Ryan - Curtis Brown - Van Dyke
    FS - Clark - DJ Swearinger - Cromartie-Smith
    SS - Troy - Duke Williams

Sign a few others for depth ,

but that's the over run

Banned
    $7 mil a year for Wallace? You are dreaming. SOMEONE will give him Vincent Jackson's contract.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    $7 mil a year for Wallace? You are dreaming. SOMEONE will give him Vincent Jackson's contract.
    Very well possible... But I don't think he really wants to leave , personally I love Wallace but wouldn't pay more than 8 a year for him ... Just was thinking he don't really want to leave and wants to stay here with his childhood friend Lewis

Banned
    No, he doesn't want to leave.

But he doesn't want to be a possession receiver either.

I like what you did there...

But i would straight up cut Colon, and I'd Keep Keisel he proved this yr he still got enough left in the tank for at least 1 more good season, he led the team in QB hurries. Plus the lack of development in Hood and Heyward scares me to start them both.

Id deff sign lewis, but id offer wallace a deal but i think he walks.

You never mentioned what you would do with Mendenhall tho? I guess you'd let him walk (i know i would)

And just draft a RB in the draft like Eddie Lacy, or Montee Ball

Quote Originally Posted by USMC607 View Post
    I like what you did there...

But i would straight up cut Colon, and I'd Keep Keisel he proved this yr he still got enough left in the tank for at least 1 more good season, he led the team in QB hurries. Plus the lack of development in Hood and Heyward scares me to start them both.

Id deff sign lewis, but id offer wallace a deal but i think he walks.

You never mentioned what you would do with Mendenhall tho? I guess you'd let him walk (i know i would)

And just draft a RB in the draft like Eddie Lacy, or Montee Ball
    I would love to have Montee Ball over Mendy but what rd draft pick would we have to spend on him 1st ,2nd ? 1st would be to high seeing we have deeper needs. Also Keep Ike to keep that secondary strong and let Wallace walk and keep Crotchery.

What moves would you make?

Troy, Harrison, Hampton, Foote all take a cut to stay.

Wallace, Cotchery, Mendy, Starks will not be back.

Punter at some point needs addressed, this butler kid reeked!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    I would love to have Montee Ball over Mendy but what rd draft pick would we have to spend on him 1st ,2nd ? 1st would be to high seeing we have deeper needs. Also Keep Ike to keep that secondary strong and let Wallace walk and keep Crotchery.
    Ball your looking at 2nd or 3rd ... If your going to take a 2nd round Running back Eddie Lacy is much better ... But I think you should see what you have in 23 yr old Dywer before giving up on him ... he's more mature now and took off season a lot more seriously this year, now give him a season to know the job is his , should be motivation enough to work harder in the off season...

I don't like giving up on our young players before you know what you got in them ...

Also I understand keeping Ike , I love Ike , he's my favorite player on the team ... but I would rather keep Wallace over Ike ... cause Lewis and Cortez both showed they're ready , and Logan Ryan is a beast and plays just like a Steeler should
    Last edited by cbrunn; 01-07-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post

Ball could go that early maybe, but everywhere i look people are mocking him normally beginning of the 3rd round to middle of the 4th round.

Obviously the draft is a crap-shoot, and its hard to predict. But i think we could get Ball in the 3rd round and if not him Eddie Lacy, Stepfan Taylor, Ray Graham, one of those guys should still be there at our 3rd pick...

If not then maybe we use a 6th or 7th on Marcus Lattimore and hope his knee heals right and he becomes the steal of the draft

Assistant Coach
    It's a solid overall plan. Good Work!

Here are some points of disagreement

1. You're Colon/Foster choice is kind of... how do I say this nicely..."dumb".
    Colon will count 7.65 against the cap
    Cutting Colon will leave 6.45 dead cap

So keeping Colon = 7.65 in LG Cap
    But, cutting Colon, and signing Foster for 2 million = 8.45 LG Cap space

2. Max Starks just proved he's still a starter coming off ACL surgery. Unless he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and give up millions of dollars, he's going to get a lot more than 1 million. He's probably getting a multi year deal in the 3-4 million per year range.

3. Cutting Suisham is just dumb. He deserves an extension not a paycut.

4. I don't see any way on the Wallace is signed for anything less than the 10 million per. The WR franchise Tag is a little over 10 million. There is plenty of market for WR this year. Getting rid of so many players to re-sign Wallace would be an epic mistake.

5. The idea of cutting Keisel, at such an affordable number... makes me sad. I accept that it's an option... but it's one that doesn't make sense to me.
    Return of the Banana

Thread Information