Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What moves would you make?

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Everyone on this board is asking, " Why does our O-line completely devastated every year for the last 4 years?" If we are asking this, then why isn't Tomlin doing something significantly about this??
    Because Tomlin is not a magician? What do you want Tomlin to do about Offensive Linemen getting fallen on?

Against bum wide receivers like Damian Williams of Tenessee, why are the cornerback giving this guy a 10 yard cushion??
    Is this a real question? You don't just play press coverage because of who the WR is... the coverage is dictated by the play call, and the playcall is dictated by the DC who is making a judgement about what the opponent's OC is going to do in a given situation. Giving a 10 yard cushion, is relative to the choice to put a certain blitz call in place. The blitz is what the DC is relying on the make the play. The Zone coverage behind the blitz is intended to prevent the big play, an in return "give" the short play, IF the blitz is unsuccessful.

Tomlin should be addressing these issues. But he's not. And hasn't for years. So the main question that needs to be asked is, " When (if ever) will Tomlin become a real coach?"

Get that question solved and a lot of what ails this team will be resolved.
    The main question that needs to be asked is, "What on earth are you talking about?"
    My Steeler Mock Draft
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Mich St
    2. Allen Robinson, WR Penn St
    3. Carl Bradford, OLB Arizona St
    4. Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson
    5a. Brent Urban, DE Virginia
    5b. Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB Boston College
    6. Dontae Johnson, CB North Carolina St
    7. Zach Kerr, NT Delaware

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
    No1 to replace him???? ... what about the 1st round pick 2 years ago Heyward???? .... if you like him or not , or think he's capable ... you can't just continue to let the 1st round pick ROT ON THE BENCH ... i can't stress enough YOU DO NOT PICK 1st ROUND PICKS TO SIT THE BENCH FOR 3-4 YEARS... they are to contribute right away, and start after 1-2 seasons

this is exactly why people think "we don't have depth" ... because our players get no time on the field to grow and learn ... you do not learn while on the bench ... especially 1st round players

Just continue to play these olders players , trying to recapture 1 more piece of magic that they can not re capture ... next year will be 4 years since they last won

Keep holding onto the past ... the future slips through your fingers
    Sorry, it is counterproductive to play a guy just because he is a "first round pick." If Kiesel is better (he is) and is manageable salary wise (he is), it makes no sense to let him go just because there is a younger player who may or may not end up as good.

Now, if you want to complain about a couple of high round picks not being good enough to even beat out Kiesel, I hear you.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Because Tomlin is not a magician? What do you want Tomlin to do about Offensive Linemen getting fallen on?

Is this a real question? You don't just play press coverage because of who the WR is... the coverage is dictated by the play call, and the playcall is dictated by the DC who is making a judgement about what the opponent's OC is going to do in a given situation. Giving a 10 yard cushion, is relative to the choice to put a certain blitz call in place. The blitz is what the DC is relying on the make the play. The Zone coverage behind the blitz is intended to prevent the big play, an in return "give" the short play, IF the blitz is unsuccessful.

The main question that needs to be asked is, "What on earth are you talking about?"
    1. When referring to "offensive linemen being hurt", we are not talking about an isolated incident of one lineman falling on the other. We are talking about at least 3 years straight of the offensive line being ravaged with injuries. Happens too often to be just a coincidence.

2. And in regard to coverage of wide receivers, the whole question of Le beau's play calling IS my point exactly. Damian Williams is just a guy as far as wide receivers go. He doesn't have serious speed..yet he was allowed soft coverage for 75 percent of the game. Makes no sense. Go look at the Titans last two scoring drives to see my point.

And Tomlin DOES need to address these issues in a serious manner. More serious then we've seen in the last three years. Because right now, Tomlin just looks like a "care taker" and not a coach. I see zero coaching intangibles that long term, successful coaches have.

Care Taker meaning like the role Samuel Jackson just played in the movie, "Django".

Yep..I went there.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach
    1. When referring to "offensive linemen being hurt", we are not talking about an isolated incident of one lineman falling on the other. We are talking about at least 3 years straight of the offensive line being ravaged with injuries. Happens too often to be just a coincidence.

2. And in regard to coverage of wide receivers, the whole question of Le beau's play calling IS my point exactly. Damian Williams is just a guy as far as wide receivers go. He doesn't have serious speed..yet he was allowed soft coverage for 75 percent of the game. Makes no sense. Go look at the Titans last two scoring drives to see my point.

And Tomlin DOES need to address these issues in a serious manner. More serious then we've seen in the last three years. Because right now, Tomlin just looks like a "care taker" and not a coach. I see zero coaching intangibles that long term, successful coaches have.

Care Taker meaning like the role Samuel Jackson just played in the movie, "Django".

Yep..I went there.
    So, not only are you a little football illiterate, but you didn't even understand the character Sam Jackson played in Django (because if you did, you'd realize your comparison conflicts with your position)
    My Steeler Mock Draft

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    You are one of the few in this room who are football illeterate. And I need no clarification of the role of Samuel Jackson. We all Know that role.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach
    You are one of the few in this room who are football illeterate. And I need no clarification of the role of Samuel Jackson. We all Know that role.
    did you spell illiterate wrong on purpose? Or are you just the gift that keeps on giving?
    My Steeler Mock Draft

Rookie Free Agent
    My Mood
    Aggressive

My Social Networks

Add tgunn86 on Facebook
    I would let go of Sly, our back-up QBs, Larry Foote, sign Keenan and Cortez and the other corners. I dont get the "let go of Kiesel thing, he hasnt played poorly enough to release him so soon, Hood isnt better than him to replace him

Rookie Free Agent
    My Mood
    Aggressive

My Social Networks

Add tgunn86 on Facebook
    I would let go of Sly, our back-up QBs, Larry Foote, Plax, Chris Carter, sign Keenan and Cortez and the other corners. I dont get the "let go of Kiesel thing, he hasnt played poorly enough to release him so soon, Hood isnt better than him to replace him. Mike Wallace is a different story

What moves would you make?

No way 99 gets cut! I can see some surprise cuts though just not him!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Sorry, it is counterproductive to play a guy just because he is a "first round pick." If Kiesel is better (he is) and is manageable salary wise (he is), it makes no sense to let him go just because there is a younger player who may or may not end up as good.
    It's not so black and white though. There's a very large puzzle where all the pieces need to fit together. If it was just about Keisel or Ironhead, then you'd keep Keisel. However, is Ironhead ready to step in, and can he produce well enough that we could weather the Keisel loss and use that money to sign, say, Keenan Lewis?

It's the same question about Harrison. Is he a better option than Worilds? Without question; even with the injuries. But can we manage well enough with Worilds that Harrison could be cut and that money could go to Wallace? Which configuration benefits the team as a whole more?

Thread Information