Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a better #2 tight end?

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick

Time for a better #2 tight end?

Obviously, with the injury to Heath Miller he might not be ready when the season starts. Even when he is healthy, the depth at TE is terrible. There's a huge drop-off from him to Pope and Paulson. I know there are a lot of concerns on defense, RB, and potentially WR, but TE is a position that should not be ignored even if Heath were healthy. I know the Steelers aren't the Patriots when it comes to tight ends, but it wouldn't hurt to see if there are any with pedigree coming out of the draft. The Steelers would have a reliable #2 and possibly someone who could be a #1 when Heath is past his prime.

Thoughts?

Banned
    Draft Mike Shanahan from PITT and tell him to gain 30 pounds.

Because if we don't? The Patriots will.

2nd String
    Eifert in round 1 would be great

Yeah the defense has questions and I agree I would love defense drafted ... but lets be serious in this new NFL if you can't score 28+ your not going to win... Defense is being phased out, and our offense seems to barely ever score over 20 ... I don't see any of the Pass rushers really falling in the draft, so why not take the best receiver in the draft which is TE Tyle Eifert

My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Draft Mike Shanahan from PITT and tell him to gain 30 pounds.

Because if we don't? The Patriots will.
    Can't argue with this......I'd love to land Shanahan.
    The Tradition Continues!!!

Veteran
    I think TE is a definite need for us. Because Heath will probably miss part of the season but also as a successor for when he's gone in a few years. Although, I still see a pass rusher (or perhaps a MILB if Te'o falls to us) as a much higher need.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post

Yeah the defense has questions and I agree I would love defense drafted ... but lets be serious in this new NFL if you can't score 28+ your not going to win... Defense is being phased out, and our offense seems to barely ever score over 20 ... I don't see any of the Pass rushers really falling in the draft, so why not take the best receiver in the draft which is TE Tyle Eifert
    You have a good point. We need a TE #1, OT #2 and RB #3 then Pick up the pass rushers in the 4th and 5th rounds like a Burfict type who is playing today.

Draft Pick

It's not so much that defense is being phased out, it's just that its purpose is different. It's not about being ranked #1 in yards allowed, it's about splash plays - turnovers and sacks. New England and Green Bay have bad defenses as far as giving up yardage, but they create turnovers and give the ball back to their offenses - thus resulting in more points.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    It's not so much that defense is being phased out, it's just that its purpose is different. It's not about being ranked #1 in yards allowed, it's about splash plays - turnovers and sacks. New England and Green Bay have bad defenses as far as giving up yardage, but they create turnovers and give the ball back to their offenses - thus resulting in more points.
    Yeah Turnovers and Points allowed Per game ... Turnovers Steelers suck at, Points Per Game they're 6th ...
    but the offense only puts up 21 pts per game...with all the Weapons they have to only put up 21 pts per game is ridiculous, either we're over rating some of our "Weapons" (Wallace, Brown , Sanders) or over rating our QB ... either way how we feel about our offense doesn't translate to points

Wallace is over rated. I am not opposed to an early round WR pick in the draft. Look at the top WR picked in other years. If we have a good draft year again in 2013 and some of our 2012 draft guys come around we will look good on paper.

We definately need to add to our offence this year!

Draft Pick
    Yeah Turnovers and Points allowed Per game ... Turnovers Steelers suck at, Points Per Game they're 6th ...
    but the offense only puts up 21 pts per game...with all the Weapons they have to only put up 21 pts per game is ridiculous, either we're over rating some of our "Weapons" (Wallace, Brown , Sanders) or over rating our QB ... either way how we feel about our offense doesn't translate to points
    That's because the Steelers play it close to the vest on offense. They're more concerned with time of possession, hoping the defense will keep the team in the game long enough for Ben to pull a miracle out of his *** at the end. Meanwhile, other teams aren't fretting over time of possession, they're actually playing modern football and trying to score.

The Steelers simply do not want to be an offensive team, they want to be a defensive, ball control team. Until they change their philosophy, they will not be a team that scores many points regardless of who's playing.

Thread Information