Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens to Tomlin if we tank next season

Bookmark and Share

What happens to Tomlin if we tank next season

Sure hes been here for 6 years and taken us to 2 superbowl, but those were cowers teams. I have actually seen a decline in his coaching ability. I'm not suggesting we fire him now, we had a bad year (8-8) is bad for the steelers. I believe we went 8-8 in the 09 season, last time we missed the play offs. Going 12-4 the last couple years has been nice but getting a beatdown by tebow in OT last season? Tomlin is starting to look worse and worse. Obviously right now we keep him but what if we go 7-9 or WORSE and miss the playoffs again next season. I think at that point I WOULD be calling for tomlins head.

Cool it there Jerry Jones, firing head coaches because of a rough season is just dumb. His early success was due to the cowher leftovers sure, but we are 32-16 over the past 3 seasons. You cannot blame the coach for having unfortunate injury after unfortunate injury all season long, not to mention the offense from Haley is still being installed. Wait for next season when the playbook is bigger, our offense is more figured out, and Haley has time to figure out what he wants to do with our rotisserie backfield and train our guys to not fumble all the time. We play in the toughest division of the NFL so mild injuires are going to be a setback.

And how can you blame Tomlin for us getting Tebowed? Seriously, by the second quarter both Keisel and Hampton were out hurt. The Broncos were a run-dominant team. Clark was out because of his sickle trait, and Ike had a bad game. That is not the fault of Tomlin. It's just unfortunate. Oh yea, and by the way, Ben had a high ankle sprain and was playing through the pain (which most qbs are just out when they get that).

So let's be smart here. Look at all the top teams in the NFL every season, what do they all have in common? Stability. They have a stable head coach, a stable GM, and an organization that knows there are bumps in the road to success. We have 6 Lombardy trophies and 8 appearances. It's not because we someone have the best players magically show up on our roster, they want to play for us. Why do you think Steelers have so many career players while other franchises shuffle guys every year? Firing Tomlin will only set us back for 2-3 years. Tomlin is the reason we didn't get spanked all up and down the field this year with a makeshift defense and a piece-meal offensive line.
    Here we go Steelers, here we go!

Coaches have bad seasons, this season was pretty bad from a motivation standpoint/injuries/pressure and whatnot. We were competing 2 years ago, only 2 years ago for our 7th Lombardi. Yes, it seems forever but it really isnt.

If Tomlin has a losing record next season, which I could possibly see. The pressure will be on him, but no way he is going to get fired. I think even if he had a losing season in 2014 he would still be the head coach of this football team. Tomlin is only 40 years old. Coach's learn every season also, just like players. We will see if Tomlin has changed at all next season. I look for him to be more firey, I expect the team to play with more heart/determination/motivation also. I just wouldnt be suprised if we had a losing season though. I just think this team is in sort of "rebuilding" mode now. Not an overhaul, but just a little change is what this team is going through.
    Last edited by steelchamp204; 01-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Veteran
    Are you throwing in the towel for next year already? I think we should wait until after thte draft and, as crazy as it sounds, maybe actually play some games before we consider next year a lost cause.

Banned
    If thise were "Cowher Teams" shouldn't Tomlin be allowed to build his own team?

Cowher won plenty early when he inherited Noll's players, but when they began leaving Cowher didn't win so much anymore.

4 of 6 seasons out of the playoffs (including a 9 and two 10 loss seasons) before Ben's arrival, and if Cowher had his way he would have drafted Shawn Andrews instead of Ben in 2004.

Where would we have been then?

We would be the Cleveland freaking Browns.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Are you throwing in the towel for next year already? I think we should wait until after thte draft and, as crazy as it sounds, maybe actually play some games before we consider next year a lost cause.
    I normally wait to after week 3 to 4 to diss the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tomlin is dealing with the old players that are now past their prime. Building a team isn't easy and he's got many pieces to put back into place. Part of me says, why not just cut ties with every holdover that was on the decline and start fresh. Basically take what he did last year with Hines and Farrior and Smith and add in Hampton then. Perhaps McLendon makes the DL even better in 2012, perhaps not but long term the extra experience would have been invaluable.

I will say this, the Steelers haven't won a playoff game in 3 of the last 4 years, if they miss the post season again 2013 the Rooney's may start questioning his ability to pull this off. For now Tomlin is clearly safe.

I'm really hoping the return of Dan Rooney will bring some balance to the power struggle between Art II and Tomlin.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Tomlin is dealing with the old players that are now past their prime. Building a team isn't easy and he's got many pieces to put back into place. Part of me says, why not just cut ties with every holdover that was on the decline and start fresh. Basically take what he did last year with Hines and Farrior and Smith and add in Hampton then. Perhaps McLendon makes the DL even better in 2012, perhaps not but long term the extra experience would have been invaluable.

I will say this, the Steelers haven't won a playoff game in 3 of the last 4 years, if they miss the post season again 2013 the Rooney's may start questioning his ability to pull this off. For now Tomlin is clearly safe.

I'm really hoping the return of Dan Rooney will bring some balance to the power struggle between Art II and Tomlin.
    Good point about the play-off wins........which is right when you stop to think about it.....2 play-off wins in 2010 and that is is it since Super Bowl XLIII and remember Tomlin lost his first play-off game as HC.........Some play-off wins will be needed from Mike Tomlin in the near future...........

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
    What happens to Tomlin if we tank next season?
    Absolutely nothing.

If anything, Tomlin will be made general manager, owner, and supreme commander...

I never said fire him now, I'm sorry if that's the way you took it, or maybe your interpreter read it to you wrong. What I said was WHAT IF next season is a DISASTER (IMO 7-9) or worse) Might it be time for a change, Tomlin is very calm and collected all the time, and by the way some of these steelers are acting like spoiled brats they might need cower back to give them a good *** chewing.

Thread Information