Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With So Many Coaches being fired..............

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

With So Many Coaches being fired..............

There are now a lot of good co-ordinator candidates. Like Norv Turner, like Romeo Crennell. Are there any guys out there that you think could help us out and uplift our play? I'm not saying that Crennell is the right guy to replace Lebeau but I'm less then happy with a defense that doesn't generate a lot of turnovers and when it does get that turnover, never takes it back to the house. Your thoughts?
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach

With So Many Coaches being fired..............

We need an oline coach. The rest of the staff will remain unless someone gets hired away.

I wonder if mike tice gets fired...oline coach?
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    "I think everyone is aware I'm happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. He's a special guy."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2GfiKVdRh

I would love to know what a DC could do to get a guy who has just intercepted/recovered a fumble to "take it back to the house."

Ed Reed was not given that ability through coaching.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    LeBeau isn't leaving. Tomlin would get roasted if he wanted to replace him.

Under Lebeau, when has defense ever been a playmaking defense? It's not just the players. It's a system that obviously doesn't allow the players a lot of latitude to make plays. I submit all these years as proof. It's the system that isn't conducive to playmaking.

Some numbers on the 2012 defense:

Overall Rank (yardage): 1st
    Vs Run: 2nd
    Vs Pass: 1st
    Points Allowed: 6th
    3rd Down Conversions allowed: 5th
    Takeaways: 12th AFC.

Most glaring issue is the lack of takeaways. I honestly believe if the Steelers resign Lewis to give them Allen, Ike, and Lewis as DB's it will allow DL to be more creative on defense with blitzes, looks, etc. The real issue IMO, is the lack of pressure from the D-Line, which falls in the lap of the D-Line Coach (Mitchell). Too much dancing, not enough pressure. If anyone should be shown the door, it should be him.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Under Lebeau, when has defense ever been a playmaking defense? It's not just the players. It's a system that obviously doesn't allow the players a lot of latitude to make plays. I submit all these years as proof. It's the system that isn't conducive to playmaking.
    Red herring.

My question was regarding what Lebeau should do to "coach" his players on taking it "to the house" after a turnover...

Please explain how he can make sure that Ike Taylor scores TOUCHDOWNS like Ed Reed.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Well, most of the time there not in position. Case in point, how can a cornerback make a play when Lebeau has him giving a 10 yard cushion to Greg Little. Greg Little???? That's my point. Go look at the Titans game for further proof.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Your "proof?" Look below.

In 2004, they were 10th turnovers.
    In 2005, 11th.
    In 2006, 13th.
    In 2007, 22nd
    In 2008, 9th
    In 2009, 26th
    In 2010, 3rd

So, until the last two seasons, they have been a playmaking defense, right around the top third of the league for 5 of his 7 seasons up until 2011. (It would be even higher if the team's DBs could catch.) The "system" has not changed significantly, so your claim that it "doesn't allow the players a lot of latitude to make plays" is also absurd.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Well, most of the time there not in position. Case in point, how can a cornerback make a play when Lebeau has him giving a 10 yard cushion to Greg Little. Greg Little???? That's my point. Go look at the Titans game for further proof.
    Position gets you the INT or fumble recovery. It does not get you the return ability like Ed Reed has.

Thread Information