Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being realistic here about the 8-8 season.

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Being realistic here about the 8-8 season.

This team this year could have easily ended up a 6 win team or an 11 win team. Yes, some games the defense didnt step up but that was at rondom times this season, the offense is the side of the ball that needed to step up. With us all knowing this by now, it's pointless to speak of it. What really hurt this team in my opinion this year was the inability to stay healthy....

You can blame the "conditioning" coach all you want, but when you have offensive linemen rolling up upon one another how can that be the conditioning coaches issue? The concussions this team has had this season are not on the conditioning coach, niether was Bens/Keisels/Heath/Harrisons/Ikes/Lewis etc. Ill let people rant on about the conditioning coach though..

Pretty much this team has had **** for luck for staying healthy. Im not sure who is in charge, but I will say, the veteran days off need to stop. Probably my boy Tomlin. That needs to change. But realitstically this team was banged up all season long. First it was Spence/DeCastro. Then we lost Gilbert, Adams stepped in nicely only to get hurt himself. Pouncey getting banged up never helped us out either and we had Legs start at center twice I believe and put Pouncey at guard when Colon was out and banged up(Which I think Legs plays well at center and Pouncey would be a better guard than center, I jsut think pouncey is that good)

Truth is I believe the offense sputtered this season due to the lack of protection Ben got this whole season. I think Adams being injured was a bigger impact than what some thought, the kid was coming around nicely, added a big frame to the line and the run game was improving. Beachum held his own, but also looked horrible at time in pass protection and with DD not getting a lot of reps looked beyond vulnerable when the defense ran blitz packages he had never seen. Im not at all saying DD is a bust, just not a lot of game time.

In a way I am blaming the Oline for the season, but is it really blaming? No, I just think this team had a **** luck season with injuries. After thinking about it, 8-8 is just about right for this team. The "next man up" thing is ok to listen to, but when you lose Ben for three weeks, Brown for 3 weeks, your starting center, #1 corner, a pretty special safety still inho in Troy. This team could have been way worse than 8-8.

I'd like to see what this offense can do next season when Ben has protection, you cant stretch the field when your QB half the time only get 2 seconds to throw the ball, but ill stop the rant there. I just hope whoever comes in and takes over the oline coaching position utilizes these guys abilities and give them some blocking schemes to really give Ben time and help the running backs stay around the 4ypc mark. Then we can really judge Haley after next season.

8-8 record indicates a team, well...We didnt cash in this season, maybe next year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I've been questioning the conditioning of the players for the last few years when the injuries have mounted beyond belief. I refuse to believe it's just life in the NFL, or some coincidence that constantly has this team on the verge of collapse because they can't field a healthy team.

The OL is the worst hit every year but this season the WR's got nailed too.

The QB injuries, that's just life when you have to 30+ yr old backups and a starter prone to putting himself in a position of getting clobbered and an OL that can't pass block to save their lives.

It would be interesting to see a summary of all NFL teams injuries to starters over the season. I understand that's part of the game, but I agree with you 100% it just seems the past few yrs we've been whacked pretty good. I know age contributes, and style of play such as Troy, but man our luck has got to change at some point. I like the potential of last yrs rookies, really excited to see what Spence can add, hopefully he's bulked up a little and his knee is back to 100%

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    8-8 is what it is, average. not great, not horrible but average. capable of beating good teams, and losing to crap teams. the record speaks for itself.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Our running game sucked all year but the first half of the season the Offence was doing fine and getting better. We lost some games to crappy teams because we could not pressure the QB.....we had D linemen acting like telephone poles and our LB's falling into coverage. We let guys like Hasselback and Palmer stand back there for 10 seconds looking for a receiver.

Great team but our lack of getting to the QB hurt and that always led to turnovers. There is a huge correlation.

My Mood
    Fine
    Sad thing is if they Lost the last game they'd be drafting 12th and in striking distance to Te'o. However I'm glad they won. I'd like them to Offer a 7th rounder to Oakland for Rolando McClain. Tomlin will straighten him out and that solves our ILB issue. We can them Focus on getting a Safety or Safeties,TE,OLB,RB,WR,OL

I don't know about you guys but after we beat the giants to go 5-3, and even after ben got hurt and we were 6-3, I did NOT see us missing the play offs this year. Ben just wasn't the same when he came back and we went 2-5 down the stretch

We need a decent backup QB to let Ben heal longer when needed... Two old QB's is really lame.
    If Manning goes down they will have Osweiler. I bet he will look pretty good.
    We need an Osweiler type backup draft pick.

Being realistic here about the 8-8 season.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    We need a decent backup QB to let Ben heal longer when needed... Two old QB's is really lame.
    If Manning goes down they will have Osweiler. I bet he will look pretty good.
    We need an Osweiler type backup draft pick.
    I couldn't agree more! Tomlin's comfort blanket in these old *** players is quite annoying! Time to step up and get a young talented back up QB in here!

Ben is only 31, but yeah he needs a good back up, I honestly feel that's the reason we didn't make the play offs. Take the Texans last year for example they made it into the play offs on their 3rd string QB! Ben always gets hurt so they should have a good back up instead of spending money on receivers?: I mean whats the point if our QB can't even get them the ball.

Thread Information