Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nine Years In, Ben-led Offense Stalled in Mediocrity

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Pissedoff

Nine Years In, Ben-led Offense Stalled in Mediocrity

Man, I feel like yawning in thinking about the Steeler offense under Ben Rothlisberger. After averaging 20 ppg. in 2011, there were high hopes going into 2012 with new O.C. Todd Haley. The upshot: a measley 1-point bump in scoring average (2-points if you factor out the 3 games Ben missed), at least four late-game drive failures (Oak, Tenn., Dal., Cin.), an 8-8 record, and an easy chair to watch the playoffs from.
    22 ppg. is what Ben averaged under his five years with Arians. 22 ppg. is what Arians managed to get with rookie Andrew Luck this year, not to mention 11 wins. Baltimore and Cincy each got 10 wins, averaging 25 and 24 ppg., respectively.
    Next season will have to be better offensively if the Steelers are to be competitive. The "big money" crew may be without Mike Wallace. A big and fast wideout, like A.J. Green, or Demarius Thomas, or a tight-end the caliber of a Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham might go a long way towards upgrading the Steeler offense.
    STEELSPIKES

Draft Pick
    One of our biggest problems on offense was not capitalizing on decent field position. It didn't happen frequently, but when it did we didn't capitalize. The two most recent examples were agaisnt Dallas and Cinci. It was dwyer, dwyer, pass behind the LOS, punt in one and Dwyer, Dwyer, Sack, Punt in the other.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    What kills this team is the offensive line play. That is the key to all of the offenses problems. Fix that, and this offense will take off.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Banned
    When you don't force turnovers, you don't get quick scores.

When we get a lead in the 4th quarter? We run the ball.

The ONLY reason we don't keep scoring, is because we are too worried about tradition, rather than scoring.

Haley's play-calling is a joke, the two biggest examples were mid field drive at Dallas, and the Cincy game in Pittsburgh.

But that's what Art wants. Talk to him.

Draft Pick
    The Steelers don't want to be an offensive team, they want to be a defensive team. Why do you think Haley had the WRs running routes that only went 5 to 10 yards beyond the LOS? There was no emphasis on scoring, only possession. When you play Marty ball, regardless of who the QB is, you won't score many points. They need to start letting Ben win the games earlier next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    What kills this team is the offensive line play. That is the key to all of the offenses problems. Fix that, and this offense will take off.
    This is the cold hard truth, the only other issue I have is the injuries! I wish I had the time and means to go through all the film and see the plays that our players got hurt in. I'd be interested in seeing how many were caused by our guys as opposed to the other team. Just seems like our own players did as much damage as the other teams? I assume it's just bad luck?

Banned
    How did the OL look in Baltimore with 6 minutes left with Pouncey playing a position he never played before?

The OL struggles because for most of the game we have fullbacks and David Paulson on the field.

When we NEED a score, they come off the field, and we spread teams out, and the OL blocks better because the congestion at the LOS is gone.

We led the NFL in final 2 minutes points this season, why?

Because the play-makers are on the field, and the rookie FB and 7th round TE aren't.

What also kills the run game is the position of the RB.

2nd and 1, and Dwyer is 8 1/2 yards BEHIND the LOS. So he's running almost 10 yards at the snap....to get ONE!

Yesterday we had a 3rd and short in the second half, we had Redman at FB, and Dwyer at HB behind him.

We gave the ball to Redman at fullback, who was closer to the LOS and he got the first down easily.

I don't think we ran that play FIVE TIMES all season when the games counted.

But we'll do it yesterday with nothing to play for?

The solution is simple. Either Art has to value what he has at WR, and especially QB, and allow his offensive coaches to use the talent the right way, and win.

Or

He trades the HOF-er at QB and loads up on RBs and defense.

The square peg round hole crap has to end.

If it doesn't? 8-8 will continue in the foreseeable future.

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    I get that the team wants to be known for its tough defense. What I've never understood is why that can't be paired with a more potent scoring attack. S
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    The Steelers don't want to be an offensive team, they want to be a defensive team. Why do you think Haley had the WRs running routes that only went 5 to 10 yards beyond the LOS? There was no emphasis on scoring, only possession. When you play Marty ball, regardless of who the QB is, you won't score many points. They need to start letting Ben win the games earlier next year.
    STEELSPIKES

Banned
    Because resting the defense has become the priority.

I remember the 2005 game vs. the Pats. We tied the game with under 2 minutes left.

Of course LeBeau's prevent gave up the lead and the game.

Fans, and MEDIA were UPSET that we scored "too quick".

Until this mentality changes? We will struggle to win games.

I think about it every day. We should have a good line at least with all the picks we have spent on the ol and dl lol I just don't understand how we can't be a dominant team. I can't remember the last time they blew out a team.

Thread Information