Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We now know our opponents for next year as well, interesting reading

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Which is what the Steelers have been doing, filling a "hole or two." (Cotch, Mewelde Moore, etc.) So, what's your point?
    Come on Tarlsqtr, your killing me dude. Cotch was a 3/4 WR. Mewelde Moore..come on.

I'm talking about fixing a real area of need with free agency. Like a top notch cornerback. Like a legit safety.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Come on Tarlsqtr, your killing me dude. Cotch was a 3/4 WR. Mewelde Moore..come on.

I'm talking about fixing a real area of need with free agency. Like a top notch cornerback. Like a legit safety.
    Top notch corners command a king's ransom......The Steelers won't have the cap room to make such a move....They will be lucky to resign Keenan Lewis...........

I hear ya. But that's what I'm saying..use free agency to address ONE major need of area. Just one..two at the most. Like I said, I"m not for hog wild spending in free agency but we should use it to address atleast ONE major area of concern.

Banned
    I hear ya. But that's what I'm saying..use free agency to address ONE major need of area. Just one..two at the most. Like I said, I"m not for hog wild spending in free agency but we should use it to address atleast ONE major area of concern.
    Keenan Lewis is a free agent. And he's a stud. Does re-signing him count?

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    If the Steelers didn't have so much money tied up to their own aging defensive stars.........Troy, Harrison, Woodley, Ike........Woodley is still young but at this point I question his dedication.....Woodley comes into camp in terrible shape and even Keith Butler called him out for it.......

My Mood
    Ratbirds

Which brings us back to the original point by B&G Forever, you need cap space to do that. The "top notch cornerbacks" make between $7-$11 million (base salaries). Safeties are above $5 million. You are back to fantasyland...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    If the Steelers didn't have so much money tied up to their own aging defensive stars.........Troy, Harrison, Woodley, Ike........Woodley is still young but at this point I question his dedication.....Woodley comes into camp in terrible shape and even Keith Butler called him out for it.......
    The Woodley contract was a huge mistake.

Remember when we used to let players walk... We are paying the price of keeping this defense together for too long. We can't afford Mike Wallace because of it. And we could lose our best DB because of it (Lewis).

Woodley, Harrison, Troy and Ike count 43 million against the cap... sure we will restructure, and push problems into the future... maybe cut Harrison. But still, we should not be in a position where over 30% of our cap is wrapped up in injury prone/aging players.

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Which brings us back to the original point by B&G Forever, you need cap space to do that. The "top notch cornerbacks" make between $7-$11 million (base salaries). Safeties are above $5 million. You are back to fantasyland...
    Not fantasy land my friend. Steelers could creatively do it if they wished. But it would have to be someone that filled a major need. Other the that, it wouldn't be worth it.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Not fantasy land my friend. Steelers could creatively do it if they wished. But it would have to be someone that filled a major need. Other the that, it wouldn't be worth it.
    If they can do it, show me how they get $10 million for a "top notch CB" without creating another gaping hole somewhere else. It is easy to say, "they can do it", much more difficult to actually ACHIEVE the impossible.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    nope, you're in fantasy land

The Salary Cap is a real thing, with numbers and math. Check it out.

Thread Information