Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 364/575, 4,179 yards, 33 TD, 10 INT

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Right. He threw picks when we needed first downs and or TD's. Sorry gang, truth hurts!
    And we didn't need first downs or TDs when we ran twice from the Bengals 32?

And we didn't need first downs or TDs when we had WR screen, and then 3 Mendy runs from the Steelers 46?

Art II got what he wanted, Haley committed to the ground game.

He also sent us home.

Arians is the OC? We don't lose that game.

Sorry.

364/575, 4,179 yards, 33 TD, 10 INT

Our ground game was predictable..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And we didn't need first downs or TDs when we ran twice from the Bengals 32?

And we didn't need first downs or TDs when we had WR screen, and then 3 Mendy runs from the Steelers 46?

Art II got what he wanted, Haley committed to the ground game.

He also sent us home.

Arians is the OC? We don't lose that game.

Sorry.
    One problem. The facts do not support your premise.

This season, the Steelers actually ran a smaller percentage of the time than last season.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

2nd String
    They just did it out of order. In a predictable fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    One problem. The facts do not support your premise.

This season, the Steelers actually ran a smaller percentage of the time than last season.

Draft Pick
    Don't lean so much on run/pass ratio - it can be deceptive. How many of Ben's "throws" were bubble screens? The problem with the Haley offense in the first year was:

a) It was too predictable

b) There was too much emphasis on ball control and not enough emphasis on scoring

The idea behind the ball-control offense was that it would make an older defense better. That proved to be false, and it just took scoring opportunities away from the offense. Now that the defense will be forced to get younger next season, the Steelers no longer have the excuse of protecting an old defense.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    Don't lean so much on run/pass ratio - it can be deceptive. How many of Ben's "throws" were bubble screens? The problem with the Haley offense in the first year was:

a) It was too predictable

b) There was too much emphasis on ball control and not enough emphasis on scoring

The idea behind the ball-control offense was that it would make an older defense better. That proved to be false, and it just took scoring opportunities away from the offense. Now that the defense will be forced to get younger next season, the Steelers no longer have the excuse of protecting an old defense.
    But I never commented regarding if the offense was too predictable(although the same criticism was made if BA). I responded directly to Crash' s assertion that Art II had Haley "commit to the ground game." This is demonstrably false. BA was also equally committed to the WR screen and the reason for going ball control has been articulated far more often as a method to protect Ben than the aging defense.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Draft Pick
    But I never commented regarding if the offense was too predictable(although the same criticism was made if BA). I responded directly to Crash' s assertion that Art II had Haley "commit to the ground game." This is demonstrably false. BA was also equally committed to the WR screen and the reason for going ball control has been articulated far more often as a method to protect Ben than the aging defense.
    Actually, Art himself said he wanted to see the Steelers commit to a better running game in the offseason. Being that it didn't always work out that well, Haley used bubble screens. Similar effect - Ben had to bail the team out on 3rd down.

As for protecting Ben, that doesn't do much good if he's not in the playoffs. That's playing scared. They took it to the extreme, which resulted in Ben having to pull magic out of his *** in the last 2 minutes or else the Steelers were screwed. They have to stop worrying about what "might" happen and go grab a game by its throat instead of playing Marty ball.

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Yeah, but he did that only when we had the lead!
    Well, although I believe you score when you can there is something to say for a long, grinding drive in the 4th quarter. Cowher did that with the Bus very well.
    STEELSPIKES

Thread Information