Thread: Is The Steeler Injury Rate That Bad ?

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Is The Steeler Injury Rate That Bad ?

Lets see, this season and last:

Ben multiple times
    Troy multiple times
    Harrison multiple times
    Casey
    Woodley
    Miller
    Taylor
    Wallace
    Adams
    DeCastro
    Colon
    Smith - pretty much missed his final season due to injuries

Those are not in any particular order, and I am sure I am missing a few. And, if you look at the names, for the most part, they are key players. I look at a team like Baltimore, or the Packers, etc. and there QB's play season after season with nary an injury. I understand our O-lin is always in flux, but common' they had had years to figure that out. It is amazing Ben's stats are what they are.

So, with all of that in mind, are the Steelers injury stats that far out of line with other teams? It seems to me they are. Does the league keep official injury stats? My wife and I always kid about who will get hurt this game. And sure enough, week in and week out, somebody gets injured.

If the Steelers ever want to make a run with Ben, I fell they need to sort all of that out.

Draft Pick
    Ike was a big one this yr...hes not the best cb but he is for us... ive always questioned how some qbs dont get hurt either as often but i think alot of it stems from practice and the durability of the individual. Some guys can get up from a train wreck and others buckle from the wrong step taken or a 350 lineman falling on their legs lol... just how things go

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    all those injuries are due to age. Need some youth in this line up. Bens injury ruined our season. He was never the same after he came back. But not the only reason for our demise. You can pretty much pinpoint the losses to the Chargers and Cowboys on Ike being out. Romo and Rivers threw at victorian and golden all day. There were points in this season when we were just scrambling for bodies. I knew we were desperate when we brought burress back.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

How many are due to not practicing for the vet days off?? Lack of conditioning..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
    I look at a team like Baltimore, or the Packers, etc. and there QB's play season after season with nary an injury.
    But Baltimore has had significant injuries to their defense, including Suggs and Ray Lewis. Many times, Ben's biggest problem is Ben. He holds the ball for a week and a half, and while that allows him to make those broken plays, that also leaves him open to the hits and sacks.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Nevertheless, the facts are the Steelers will have lost 78 starts, because another starter has joined the sidelined for what may be his final Steelers game, Mike Wallace today against Cleveland. That's an average of nearly five starters lost per game.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2GYTVUeHV
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    How many are due to not practicing for the vet days off?? Lack of conditioning..
    I have been hearing this a lot lately here but why don't you tell us? Which are from veteran days off and poor conditioning?

Troy-No
    Harrison-No
    Ben-No
    Heath-No
    Ike-No
    Adams-No
    DeCastro-No
    Aaron Smith-No
    Woodley-No

Almost nothing can be done about guys rolling on your ankle or knee. So, which injuries are from poor conditioning?
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    I have been hearing this a lot lately here but why don't you tell us? Which are from veteran days off and poor conditioning?

Troy-No
    Harrison-No
    Ben-No
    Heath-No
    Ike-No
    Adams-No
    DeCastro-No
    Aaron Smith-No
    Woodley-No

Almost nothing can be done about guys rolling on your ankle or knee. So, which injuries are from poor conditioning?
    All of the ones you listed could be... Ben holds the ball too long so lets throw him out..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    All of the ones you listed could be... Ben holds the ball too long so lets throw him out..
    But you made a claim. Doesn't a claim require more evidence than "could be?"

Troy and James are two of the most well-conditioned athletes in the world. Troy has a private trainer, Marv Marinovich, so that could not be put on the Steeler staff anyway.

Almost all of the rest are the result of 300 pound men rolling up on ankles, knees, etc. No conditioning coach can stop that. Ike fractured a bone, again not conditioning related. Ben broke a rib, not conditioning related.

If a WR is running downfield and pulls up with a bad hammy, that COULD be conditioning related but that is not what is happening with most of our injuries.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Thread Information