Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will be our next OL coach?

Bookmark and Share

Who will be our next OL coach?

Any good canidates out there? I think this is a vital signing for this team with Ben going into the later stages of his career. His *** needs to stay off the ground. I mean, look at what Lake has done to our secondary, that is how important these smaller coaching jobs are on the team.

I really dont know. Thats why I am asking. Id like to see Grimm come back personally. I know the AZ line sucks, but that team in general is just a disaster.

I remember one of the talk show hosts speculating that Tunch Ilkin might be someone worth looking at.

Good personality and a lot of knowledge of the game. He also probably knows the players from his interactions with them for broadcast purposes.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

Grimm got screwed here in the last head coaching hire. I doubt he returns.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

My Mood
    Grumpy
    I too heard Tunch Ilkin was the next OL coach......he would be a great choice....

Quote Originally Posted by FlatsSteeler View Post
    I too heard Tunch Ilkin was the next OL coach......he would be a great choice....
    One of the areas in which Tunch excelled was pass blocking. Definitely something to think about.

Kyle Flood, the Rutgers head coach was an incredible offensive line coach, but don't know if he would ever leave his head coaching position at RU to become a position coach in the NFL. If I were him, I would, but that's me.

Veteran
    Is Tunch able to coach though? Does he have experience? With a very young bunch of kids on the line, we need someone very good to teach them how to play.

That would be weird not listening to Tunch on the radio though haha. Whoever it is, will have there work cut out. Not saying the Oline sucks, but there is just so much potential for this line to be great. Like having 3 probowlers in the future great.

Banned
    Is Tunch able to coach though? Does he have experience?
    Tunch has done teaching videos for OLs that other NFL clubs use, as well as private sessions in off seasons (kind of like a QB Coach like Ben used during his suspension) for years. It's just that few people know about it.

They offered him the job before, he said no.

But his kids are now out of the house, and his wife unfortunately passed away. So if he's ever going to do it I'd say its now or never.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    The hiring of a good OL coach is probably the most important thing we have to do in this off-season. Along with the conditioning of the O-linemen too.

We've got to get the running game back in a serious fashion. Whoever we get, they better be able to teach these guys on the O-line to run block.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Banned
    They also need to quit lining up the RB 8 1/2 yards behind the LOS on 3rd and 1.

That would be a good first step.

Thread Information