Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomlin hires new strength coach for Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    i dont really think this is a big deal at all, tomlin likes this guy better, who cares?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Just because we're fans and we wonder why a move like this was needed in the first place. But then again we're not the guy making 7 figures who was just hired to replace a legend, who replaced a legend.

I don't see the big deal. Tomlin thinks this guy will do a great job, and he has a great resume. Plus, like people have mentioned already, we as fans don't get the entire story, which sucks but we can't really judge if we don't know why the move was made.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    This move comes straight from Leadership Strategies #101 - When a new leaders comes in, the shake-up must be swift and severe to produce the intended results. This means even some of the better coaches must be let go in order to rid themselves of any old habits or "comfort zones" that were part of the part of the previous administration. This sends a message to the players that "there's a new sheriff in town and he has new expectations"

Players will come in highly motivated to impress .... bet it.

Lots of psychology associated with moves like this. . .

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    This move comes straight from Leadership Strategies #101 - When a new leaders comes in, the shake-up must be swift and severe to produce the intended results. This means even some of the better coaches must be let go in order to rid themselves of any old habits or "comfort zones" that were part of the part of the previous administration. This sends a message to the players that "there's a new sheriff in town and he has new expectations"

Players will come in highly motivated to impress .... bet it.

Lots of psychology associated with moves like this. . .
    Nice post and I agree.

Giemont was the Buccaneers' strength coach in 2003 and 2004 when Tomlin was the team's secondary coach. Previously, Giemont worked eight seasons with the Oakland Raiders (1995-2002) and was strength and conditioning coach for the Los Angeles Rams from 1983-1991. He was also director of physical development for the Chicago Cubs from 1992-94.

Giemont was named the NFL's strength and conditioning coach of the year in 2002. Fuhrman, 55, who had worked with the Steelers since Bill Cowher's first season in 1992, was the NFL's strength coach of the year in 2005.

He sounds good to me but then again we will never know how any of this new staff will do so i will give Giemont a chance to prove him same with tomline etc...

But to be named NFL's strength and conditoning coach of the year is pretty big. But then again so was Fuhrman so all we can do is hope that this new hire works out ......

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This seems to me more of a lateral move than an improvement; which is not a knock on either Furhman or Giemont but simply appears to be Tomlin just wanting somebody different for the job.

As long as our players are in top physical shape and perform at a high level every week conditioning wise, and don't get in trouble with anything they shouldn't be taking; that's what we want from our strength guy.

Thread Information