Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin hires new strength coach for Steelers

Bookmark and Share

Tomlin hires new strength coach for Steelers

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07031/758257-100.stm

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin has hired former Tampa Bay strength coach Garrett Giemont to be the team's new conditioning coordinator, replacing Chet Fuhrman.

Giemont was the Buccaneers' strength coach in 2003 and 2004 when Tomlin was the team's secondary coach. Previously, Giemont worked eight seasons with the Oakland Raiders (1995-2002) and was strength and conditioning coach for the Los Angeles Rams from 1983-1991. He was also director of physical development for the Chicago Cubs from 1992-94.

Giemont was named the NFL's strength and conditioning coach of the year in 2002. Fuhrman, 55, who had worked with the Steelers since Bill Cowher's first season in 1992, was the NFL's strength coach of the year in 2005.
    Not quite sure if this is an upgrade or a downgrade especially since they both have been strength coach of the year but Fuhrman was most recent!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    now he needs to hire a shoe guy so our guys won't slip more then the other team when we play at home
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Gold Standard

Shoulda grabbed Nebraska's Strength Coach

All the scouts were clamoring all week at the senior bowl about how strong the Nebraska players were! They were clearly head and shoulders above everybody else in the weight room. I am not really after Nebraska's coach I just thought that those comments really showed what a significant position this is on a teams staff! You really need one of those GNC "pill poppin" muscle heads that know something about strength training! This person should not only be knowledgeable in strength training and nutrition but should also be a highly motivated person who can get players excited about pumping iron! I have never been to nebraska (may have driven through it) for any length of time but the alternative to lifting weights is.........watching the corn grow?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Well, that does it for the BC error All of Bill's staff have been replaced.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

The man moves quick.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't see the point of replacing Chet, the guy's been around forever and our guys have always been in top physical condition ?

Tomlin knows something we don't I suppose and maybe there's more behind the scenes issues that went into this, but I hate to see Chet leave, everything Ive ever heard about him was that all the players like him alot and he did a first rate job.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Maybe Chet wanted to move on? Thats what sucks as just being fans we never really get the inside scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    All the scouts were clamoring all week at the senior bowl about how strong the Nebraska players were! They were clearly head and shoulders above everybody else in the weight room. I am not really after Nebraska's coach I just thought that those comments really showed what a significant position this is on a teams staff! You really need one of those GNC "pill poppin" muscle heads that know something about strength training! This person should not only be knowledgeable in strength training and nutrition but should also be a highly motivated person who can get players excited about pumping iron! I have never been to nebraska (may have driven through it) for any length of time but the alternative to lifting weights is.........watching the corn grow?

i was gonna say the huskers stenth coach is supposed to be good

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I don't see the point of replacing Chet, the guy's been around forever and our guys have always been in top physical condition ?
    I don't see the reasoning either for letting Chet Fuhrman go.

Who does Tomlin and the Rooney's give the Ax too next?? I know!!
    Mean Joe Greene is a Special Assistant for the Steelers-Pro and College Personnel...........and represents a threat to Tomlin's staff.

Joe is gone.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is the stuff that makes me just and say it makes no sense ! I could see if our guys were burger pounding flunkies who ran the 40 like Jamain Stephens but damn

Thread Information