Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben, the blessing and the curse

Bookmark and Share
    Banned

Ben, the blessing and the curse

First, let me affirm that I believe Ben is the best and most valuable player the steelers have had in 30+ years. And he is the singular reason, if there is such a thing, for this team going to 3 super bowls in a decade.

BUT

The thing we recognize in Ben's game, the thing that he has that puts him into that elite conversation... Is a blessing (why we were a 3 time super bowl team), and also a curse (the reason we are an inconsistent franchise that goes from super bowls to missing the post season.

Ben isn't elite like Brady/Peyton/Rodgers. He's not an elite passer. He is a riverboat gambler. And backyard baller. He makes **** happen where no one else could. But it's that style of play that leads to both the mighty highs and the epic lows.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    First, let me affirm that I believe Ben is the best and most valuable player the steelers have had in 30+ years. And he is the singular reason, if there is such a thing, for this team going to 3 super bowls in a decade.

BUT

The thing we recognize in Ben's game, the thing that he has that puts him into that elite conversation... Is a blessing (why we were a 3 time super bowl team), and also a curse (the reason we are an inconsistent franchise that goes from super bowls to missing the post season.

Ben isn't elite like Brady/Peyton/Rodgers. He's not an elite passer. He is a riverboat gambler. And backyard baller. He makes **** happen where no one else could. But it's that style of play that leads to both the mighty highs and the epic lows.
    I dont think Ben is elite. I think he is a pretty good QB. Im not hating on Ben or anything, not putting him down or whatnot. To me, he is a good qb. Not elite in my opinion. Ill get some **** for this, but it is only my opinion. If people think that he is elite, I wouldnt argue with that either.

Banned
    If Peyton is elite, so is Ben.

Ben's won more, Ben's played better in the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    If Peyton is elite, so is Ben.

Ben's won more, Ben's played better in the post season.
    I have a feeling Peyton is going to get his 2nd ring this year. He actually has a good defense behind him. Just saying.

Banned
    I have a feeling Peyton is going to get his 2nd ring this year. He actually has a good defense behind him. Just saying.
    Peyton Manning had the #2 defense in the NFL in points allowed in 2005.

He sucked against the Steelers for three quarters, lost.

Peyton Manning had the #1 defense in the NFL in points allowed in 2007.

He sucked against the Chargers in the playoffs, lost.

Peyton Manning's lone SB ring he threw 3 TD passes and 7 picks in 4 games, carried by his run game and defense.

All he has on Ben? Is a 6 year head start to his career, and in those 6 years, he won exactly 2 playoff games.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Peyton Manning had the #2 defense in the NFL in points allowed in 2005.

He sucked against the Steelers for three quarters, lost.

Peyton Manning had the #1 defense in the NFL in points allowed in 2007.

He sucked against the Chargers in the playoffs, lost.

Peyton Manning's lone SB ring he threw 3 TD passes and 7 picks in 4 games, carried by his run game and defense.

All he has on Ben? Is a 6 year head start to his career, and in those 6 years, he won exactly 2 playoff games.
    Ben was never carried by a good defense throughout his career? Look at Bens first sb? The only thing that bailed him out in the 2nd SB was him and holmes which I do give Ben credit. Then when we played the Pack, our reality came true. With Ben having a mediocre performance again in the sb. 2 tds and 2 picks. You can say what you want about Peyton, atleast he is in the playoffs every year giving his team a chance.

Ben had the number 1 defense this season and couldnt even get into the playoffs, remember that. He had a chance to cash in when Charlie won that game in Bmore and never cashed in on it.

My Mood
    Addicted
    What is elite?

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Ben was never carried by a good defense throughout his career? Look at Bens first sb? The only thing that bailed him out in the 2nd SB was him and holmes which I do give Ben credit. Then when we played the Pack, our reality came true. With Ben having a mediocre performance again in the sb. 2 tds and 2 picks. You can say what you want about Peyton, atleast he is in the playoffs every year giving his team a chance.

Ben had the number 1 defense this season and couldnt even get into the playoffs, remember that. He had a chance to cash in when Charlie won that game in Bmore and never cashed in on it.
    You mention Super Bowl XL but you don't look at the entire post-season that season and Ben was huge in those three play-off games which were the main reason the Steelers reached Super Bowl XL.....7 TD's and 1 INT in those three play-off games.....Plus Ben was in his 2nd year....

Ben's overall numbers in Super XLIII were not overwhelming but the Steelers also had 20-7 lead at one point in the game and the play calling reflected that.......Ben came out on fire in the first quarter of that Super Bowl.....When called upon at the end Ben delivered when needed most.....

Super Bowl XLV yea Ben did throw picks but one came from Kemoeatu getting manhandled and being pushed into Ben's throwing arm which led to that INT.....The 2nd one the Packers defensive player made a great play...It happens but despite all that Ben still gave the Steelers a chance at the end to win that Super Bowl.....Just wasn't in the cards.....

Why is everyone focusing on Ben , because Ben will be fine...what about the rest of the team, coaching...etc.

What this "elite" talk? Yinz starting to sound like Ravens fans talk about Flacco . is he elite? he throws for 4000 yards this year, so he is elite...he has an arm...

Calm down everyone...Ben will be fine
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Banned
    Ben was never carried by a good defense throughout his career? Look at Bens first sb?
    By all means, let's look at it:

Game #1: 14 of 19 for 208 yards and 3 TDs.

Game #2: 14 OF 24 for 197 yards, 2 TDs, 1 pick.

Game #3: 21 of 29 for 275 yards, 3 TDs.

Game #4: 9 of 23 for 123 yards, 2 picks.

He also added 2 rushing TDs.

The only thing that bailed him out in the 2nd SB was him and holmes which I do give Ben credit.
    Bailed him out? So the way he started that game on their first two drives didn't happen either?

You can say what you want about Peyton, atleast he is in the playoffs every year giving his team a chance.
    9 years in the league, Peyton Manning made the playoffs 7 times, seven playoff wins.

9 years in the league, Ben Roethlisberger made the playoffs 6 times, ten playoffs wins.

Who's better after 9 years. Who performed better in post season?

Ben had the number 1 defense this season and couldn't even get into the playoffs, remember that.
    And the defense pissed away 4th quarter leads at Denver, at Oakland, and at Tennessee, remember that.

This defense looks great when the offense controls the clock. When they offense doesn't? Not so much.

He had a chance to cash in when Charlie won that game in Bmore and never cashed in on it.
    So CHARLIE won the Ravens game but BEN is carried by the defense? That makes sense. If Harrison didn't sack Flacco we lose. The STORY of that game then would have been Batch missing a WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIDE open Mike Wallace in the endzone, and an absolute **** throw to Heath Miller in the end zone that was picked.

But I forget, Charlie's from Pittsburgh so he gets more credit than the eveil cretin from Ohio.
    Last edited by Crash; 12-25-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Thread Information