Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do YOU want DL back?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And what happened in the 4th? PREVENT.

This happens all the time, don't believe me? Read this (ignore the headline, READ the article):

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/kacsm...ype-steelers-d

If the Packers could catch the ball in the second half they would have hung 45 on us. Rodgers threw for 3, if his WRs could catch he would have had at least 5 TD passes in that game.
    I mean, really? The entire narrative of the Steelers forever has been a so-so offense and a stellar D. The Ravens even copied our "formula" for success, yet now, suddenly, it has been the offense that has carried us the last decade? Too funny. Ben had 3 subpar SB performances and we won 2 of 3 because of defense. Yep, we were toasted in the 4th by AZ but you (and this writer) act as if this was something new for Kurt Warner. The guy has done that to more than Lebeau's D over his career. And it is funny how Ben saved us while ignoring a defensive touchdown that was huge in giving us that lead in the first place. You and this blogger went in with a premise and then went looking for any evidence that supported you instead of looking at it without preconceived ideas.

Same with GB. You are so attached to your premise that you ignore three costly turnovers for a couple of dropped passes (just as the writer places "credit for winning the Seattle SB with the 'refs.') Whatever, QUANTITATIVE measures such as being consistently a top 5 defense are overrated anyway. (Sarcasm)

A comment about your article that says it all. The guy actually makes the claim that the Steelers D has only been good (to the degree he thinks it is good) because it drafted Troy. What a genius! Good players make good teams? Who wudda thunk it???

Finally, what evidence that your choice (Raheem Morris who has never been a DC in this league) would have done better in any of those games?
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Watch the games. Watch who's rushing, better yet, watch who ISN'T.

Timmons spends so much time on 3rd down in deep middle zone covering no one it's sad. He's being wasted back there. He needs to be 10 yards and IN from the LOS. Having him back pedaling to almost an extra safety position is useless.
    I have but it is obvious that you do not. Your "perceptions" have been wildly off.

You claimed the Steelers tried to the run more this year and I proved statistically that you were wrong.

You claimed that Raheem Morris was doing such a bang up job in Washington, but I showed statistically where you were wrong.

You claimed that Raheem Morris was such a blitz/press coverage guy, yet I showed where he has never been a DC in this league to be anything.

You claimed that the Dallas D had worse stats than the Steelers only because of Romo's interceptions, but I showed statistically that the Steelers have turned the ball over more often.

Excuse me for not trusting your perceptions and being tired of doing your research for you.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

I would welcome him back but if HE choses to retire I know Butler is waiting and will be hungry to put a stamp on the defence.

Banned
    I mean, really? The entire narrative of the Steelers forever has been a so-so offense and a stellar D.
    That's what people THINK, but it's not true.

The Steelers have ONLY won Titles/Super Bowls when they took the QB position seriously.

80 years of Steelers seasons:

They won NOTHING for 40 years.

They won 4 Super Bowls when Bradshaw was drafted #1 overall (Bradshaw and four of his offensive players are in Canton btw, so much for "so-so offense").

They won ONE AFC title in 20 years after Bradshaw left despite all that defense and all that running. In fact, the ONLY AFC title they won in that span? Was the ONLY year in TEN YEARS of Bill Cowher football where they had a top 10 passing attack led by team MVP, QUARTERBACK Neil O'Donnell.

They won three AFC titles and 2 rings in 9 years when they got Ben.

This teams success is defined by franchise QBs behind center. Period.

You can have the perception.

I'll take reality for $500 Alex.

You claimed that Raheem Morris was such a blitz/press coverage guy, yet I showed where he has never been a DC in this league to be anything.
    So a head coach can't implement his system?

Yep, we were toasted in the 4th by AZ but you (and this writer) act as if this was something new for Kurt Warner. The guy has done that to more than Lebeau's D over his career.
    You are ignoring the point though: EVERYONE has done it to LeBeau in the 4th quarter in crunch time.

Carson Palmer has sucked since he came back in 2009. Not against LeBeau in the 4th quarter.

Matt Hasselbeck was a BACKUP QB this season. But he kicked LeBeau's defense's *** in the 4th quarter.

Joe Flacco is one of the WORST ROAD QBs in the NFL the last two seasons. He went 90 yards in the 4th quarter.

The 2009 Raiders were one of the worst offenses in NFL HISTORY, but scored 21 4th quarter points with their BACKUP QB.

Tim Tebow throwing for 316 yards? He hasn't thrown for 316 yards TOTAL since.

You claimed that the Dallas D had worse stats than the Steelers only because of Romo's interceptions, but I showed statistically that the Steelers have turned the ball over more often.
    How many drives did Dallas' defense start in their own territory because of Romo? You never did show me that one, did you? You are aware that Charlie Batch throwing a pick in the Ravens end zone is not the same as Romo throwing a pick on his side of the 50, correct?

Ben had 3 subpar SB performances and we won 2 of 3 because of defense
    If you think Ben was "subpar" in XLIII you didn't watch that game.
    Last edited by Crash; 12-26-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Do YOU want DL back?

Time for him to go!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Excuse me for not trusting your perceptions and being tired of doing your research for you.
    well done

Banned
    You claimed that Raheem Morris was such a blitz/press coverage guy, yet I showed where he has never been a DC in this league to be anything
    In Washington this season....

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/9/19/3...fourth-quarter

Research this....
    Last edited by Crash; 12-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    That's what people THINK, but it's not true.

The Steelers have ONLY won Titles/Super Bowls when they took the QB position seriously.
    Taking the QB position seriously is far different than not being a defense/run first team.

Since Ben joined us (Super Bowl years in bold):

2004(NFL Rank): Rush-4, Pass-28
    2005-Rush-5, Pass-24 (Defense 3 in points)
    2006-Rush-10, Pass-9
    2007-Rush-3, Pass-22
    2008-Rush-23, Pass-19 (Defense 1)
    2009-Rushing-19, Pass-9
    2010-Rush-11, Pass-14 (Defense 1)
    2011-Rush-14, Pass-11

As you can see, in no year have we had an "elite" passing game, which I would define as top 5. Even back with Bradshaw, it was run first and count on your D to win.

They won 4 Super Bowls when Bradshaw was drafted #1 overall (Bradshaw and four of his offensive players are in Canton btw, so much for "so-so offense").
    Yep, Bradshaw was a big part of it but they were not a pass happy team. It was mainly Franco, Rocky, and a great D.

They won three AFC titles and 2 rings in 9 years when they got Ben.
    In years where they were ranked 24th, 19th, and 14th in passing. Only one of those years is even in the top 50% (2010 barely) in passing.

This teams success is defined by franchise QBs behind center. Period.
    LOL And it had nothing to do with Mean Joe, Lambert, Shell, Blount, Porter, Greene, Harrison, Troy, etc.

You can have the perception.

I'll take reality for $500 Alex.
    Reality is we have had an average passing game AT BEST in the three years we have been to the Super Bowl with Ben. Our defense was ranked first twice and third once in the same years. Sure, it has been ALL about Ben. LOL

So a head coach can't implement his system?
    Sure he can. The funny part is that you want to give Morris credit for making defensive decisions in TB but have not even contemplated that perhaps Tomlin has a say in whether the Steelers go safe in the fourth quarter with small leads. In fact, I would AGREE that we do it too much, but we play just as conservatively with the offense (run, run, screen, punt) in that situation (and gives the D more opportunities to lose the lead) which makes me believe this how the head coach wants us to play.

You are ignoring the point though: EVERYONE has done it to LeBeau in the 4th quarter in crunch time.
    Yeah, "everyone" is doing it yet we win 10-12 games most years and have made three recent Super Bowls. "Everyone" is not doing it enough then...

Tim Tebow throwing for 316 yards? He hasn't thrown for 316 yards TOTAL since.
    Funny you would throw this in there since this is a game where Lebeau did exactly what you wanted. On the game-winning play, we blitzed and played press man to man, so now you are going to use it as evidence DL sucks? As I said, your arguments are not even coherent.

How many drives did Dallas' defense start in their own territory because of Romo? You never did show me that one, did you? You are aware that Charlie Batch throwing a pick in the Ravens end zone is not the same as Romo throwing a pick on his side of the 50, correct?
    You just make stuff up. The average starting position for Dallas opponents has been the 26 yard line this season (10th in league). The average field position for Steeler opponents has been the 30 (30th in league). So, the Steeler D has gone on the field in the worst field position of any team in the league except Philly and Oakland. To quote you, "'ll take (STATISTICALLY PROVEN) reality for $500, Alex."

If you think Ben was "subpar" in XLIII you didn't watch that game.
    AT BEST, he was "par." 256 yards with one TD and one INT does not make a Super Bowl legend. Steeler fans are blinded by the one great drive at the end, just as you are blinded by a couple of TDs given up by the D and completely ignoring that Lebeau's D created a pick six (which was needed to even make Ben's drive relevant) and recovered a fumble.

completely ignoring that Lebeau's D created a pick six
    Im not going to get into the whole arguement about LeBeau here, but this statement is completely inaccurate. If that play was run the way LeBeau intended, it would've been an Arizona touchdown. James Harrison created that pick six. He was supposed to blitz on that play, he didn't and dropped back because he was smart.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    In Washington this season....

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/9/19/3...fourth-quarter

Research this....
    I love it. In order to counter my fact-based analysis, you provide an article that states Morris called the defensive plays in the fourth quarter of one game!

Two points.

1) That does not make him a defensive coordinator, just as Batch going in the game during the 4th quarter does not make him a starter. The game plan was created and put in place by Haslett.

2) And this is funny. The entire premise of your diatribe against Dick Lebeau has been that his D gives up fourth quarter leads. But how did Raheem Morris do? They went into the fourth quarter with a 28-23 lead and lost 31-28 because they gave up a TD and two point conversion. Too freakin' funny!

Thread Information