Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do YOU want DL back?

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    What' s "laughable" is you submitting Dallas as the model D and when it is pointed out that they gave up a ton more yards and points,
    I didn't say Dallas was the model D. All I said when their season was on the line they blitzed.

Our season was on the line and we had James Harrison AND Lawrence Timmons in coverage.

Just like 4th and 15 against the Chiefs. Zone. No blitz, complete.

Just like 3rd and and I believe 10 from the Bengals 10 in the 3rd. No blitz, complete.

3rd and 10 after the Wallace TD against the Packers in the Super Bowl, rush 4 drop 7, no blitz, complete.

It happens too much. I wouldn't mind losing if we just played our alleged "Blitzburgh" style in key moments.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    For all of those ready to show DL the door, one question. Who should replace him? Keep in mind that the proven DCs coaching the best defenses will almost definitely not A) make a lateral move as they are HC candidates and B) leave their lower ranked but supposedly better Ds for a supposedly old and crappy D. In other words, we would be stuck with an unproven commodity instead of someone considered by most front office types as one of the best around. I am thankful the Rooneys are smarter than that.
    Would these be the same Rooney's who told a HOF QB who went to 3 SBs in 8 years that he had to change the way he played?

I'll give you one name right now: Raheem Morris.

37 years old, young former head coach, and has ties to Mike Tomlin. Likes to blitz and play press coverage.

Redskins had 10 picks as a defense in 2011, 1st year with Morris on staff they have 18 in 15 games.

The 2012 Steelers have 9. 2011 we had 11. 2010 we had 21, 2009 we had 12.

Three of the last 4 years it's been a problem.

Butler is 56, he's not a young guy. All he would be is LeBeau Lite.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I didn't say Dallas was the model D. All I said when their season was on the line they blitzed.

Our season was on the line and we had James Harrison AND Lawrence Timmons in coverage.

Just like 4th and 15 against the Chiefs. Zone. No blitz, complete.

Just like 3rd and and I believe 10 from the Bengals 10 in the 3rd. No blitz, complete.

3rd and 10 after the Wallace TD against the Packers in the Super Bowl, rush 4 drop 7, no blitz, complete.

It happens too much. I wouldn't mind losing if we just played our alleged "Blitzburgh" style in key moments.
    This is the problem with fans. They are so enamored with the blitz because they want splash plays. However, when your pass rushers are not getting to the QB, it often ends up with a splash play for the offense. With a little research, we can come up with as many plays (or more) where we blitzed/played press coverage and it killed us. (Example number one, the first play of overtime against the Donkeys in the playoffs last year.) The blitz is as much about surprise as anything else and if you come on every 3rd and long there is no more surprise.
    Last edited by TarlsQtr; 12-26-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Would these be the same Rooney's who told a that he had to change the way he played?
    And they were correct. Listen, they were not asking for a huge rebuild of Ben's game. Asking him to get the ball out a little quicker and to stop taking unnecessary hits is reasonable.

I'll give you one name right now: Raheem Morris.
    Interesting, you use the "HOF QB who went to 3 SBs in 8 years" line to discredit the Rooney's asking Ben to change his game, yet the D went to the same 3 Super Bowls (and played much better than Ben) and it is NOT a reason to keep DL. That is completely inconsistent.

Not only that, you would replace DL with a defensive coord....oh, wait, Raheem Morris has never been a defensive coordinator in this league and only has one year experience as a DC ANYWHERE (K-State). His most recent experience is as a DB coach with one of the worst secondaries in the league at Washington (ranked 30th).

And this is the problem. You and roughly half of Steeler nation want change for the sake of change, without any consideration that the replacement would probably be MUCH WORSE than what we currently have.

37 years old, young former head coach, and has ties to Mike Tomlin. Likes to blitz and play press coverage.
    Yeah, he did that so much as a defensive coordi..., oh wait.

Redskins had 10 picks as a defense in 2011, 1st year with Morris on staff they have 18 in 15 games.
    And they gave up 100 more passing yards per game than the Steelers (ranked 30th, Steelers 1).

The 2012 Steelers have 9. 2011 we had 11. 2010 we had 21, 2009 we had 12.

Three of the last 4 years it's been a problem.
    Not DL's fault the Steelers DBs cannot catch. I would also note that the one good year with INTs was Troy's last healthy year.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    And they were correct. Listen, they were not asking for a huge rebuild of Ben's game. Asking him to get the ball out a little quicker and to stop taking unnecessary hits is reasonable
    No, they weren't correct. They changed Ben, focused on the run, and he got hurt anyway.

Interesting, you use the "HOF QB who went to 3 SBs in 8 years" line to discredit the Rooney's asking Ben to change his game, yet the D went to the same 3 Super Bowls (and played much better than Ben) and it is NOT a reason to keep DL. That is completely inconsistent.
    LeBeau is 75 years old. When is enough enough? His 4th quarter prevent defense almost lost them XLIII and Aaron Rodgers shredded him two years ago.

I don't want or really need splash plays, but when your season is on the line? I don't want James Harrison not rushing the passer.

You watch, meaningless game Sunday, we'll blitz all damn day.

And this is the problem. You and roughly half of Steeler nation want change for the sake of change, without any consideration that the replacement would probably be MUCH WORSE than what we currently have.
    That's what happened to the offense: 7-8.

Not DL's fault the Steelers DBs cannot catch.
    It IS his fault when they are playing 8 yards off the ball on 3rd and 3. That's the biggest reason we don't get picks, they are told, taught, and coached, to "Tackle the Catch".

Me? I'd coach them to PREVENT the catch.

Banned
    This is the problem with fans. They are so enamored with the blitz because they want splash plays. However, when your pass rushers are not getting to the QB, it often ends up with a splash play for the offense.
    Our pass rushes and playmakers aren't rushing the passer, on key 3rd down plays, you can pretty much make book that two of these three: Timmons, Woodley, Harrison, are in coverage while Hood, Kiesel, and Hampton/McClendon are rushing.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    No, they weren't correct. They changed Ben, focused on the run, and he got hurt anyway.
    Really? You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

2011: Pass-539 (55%), Run-434 (45%)
    2012: Pass-551 (59%), Run-384 (41%)

In other words, the Steelers ran a higher percentage in 2011, the year before your claim that the Rooney's said to "focus on the run" more.

LeBeau is 75 years old. When is enough enough? His 4th quarter prevent defense almost lost them XLIII and Aaron Rodgers shredded him two years ago.
    Hogwash. DL's age is irrelevant. "Enough is enough" when he or the Steelers feel he cannot do the job anymore. You can be a very good or very bad DC at his age. The number has nothing to do with it. His D was stellar against AZ for three quarters and "getting "shredded" by Rodgers is a myth. Giving up 338 TOTAL YARDS to the Rodgers juggernaut is a damn fine performance and we actually outgained them by 50 yards. The killers were two Ben INTs and a Mendy fumble.

I don't want or really need splash plays, but when your season is on the line? I don't want James Harrison not rushing the passer.
    He rushed tons last Sunday and all season. The problem was his knee would not get him there for most of the season.

You watch, meaningless game Sunday, we'll blitz all damn day.
    Perhaps, not a bad move against a rookie QB.

It IS his fault when they are playing 8 yards off the ball on 3rd and 3. That's the biggest reason we don't get picks, they are told, taught, and coached, to "Tackle the Catch".

Me? I'd coach them to PREVENT the catch.
    It all depends on situation, down, distance, and personnel. The Steelers were not getting to the QB all season long, blitz or no blitz because of injuries to Troy, Harrison, and Woodley. When you blitz, do not get there, and your young DBs are in press coverage (especially in Dallas with Victorian and Golden), you are looking to get burned big time.

I noticed you did not address the fact that your chosen replacement, Raheem Morris, has shown zero evidence that he would better than DL.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Our pass rushes and playmakers aren't rushing the passer, on key 3rd down plays, you can pretty much make book that two of these three: Timmons, Woodley, Harrison, are in coverage while Hood, Kiesel, and Hampton/McClendon are rushing.
    I'd like to see some stats that back your theory.

Banned
    His D was stellar against AZ for three quarters

And what happened in the 4th? PREVENT.

This happens all the time, don't believe me? Read this (ignore the headline, READ the article):

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/kacsm...ype-steelers-d

and "getting "shredded" by Rodgers is a myth. Giving up 338 TOTAL YARDS to the Rodgers juggernaut is a damn fine performance
    If the Packers could catch the ball in the second half they would have hung 45 on us. Rodgers threw for 3, if his WRs could catch he would have had at least 5 TD passes in that game.
    Last edited by Crash; 12-26-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Banned
    I'd like to see some stats that back your theory.
    Watch the games. Watch who's rushing, better yet, watch who ISN'T.

Timmons spends so much time on 3rd down in deep middle zone covering no one it's sad. He's being wasted back there. He needs to be 10 yards and IN from the LOS. Having him back pedaling to almost an extra safety position is useless.

Thread Information