Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 108

Thread: Do YOU want DL back?

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #91
    Veteran TarlsQtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,038
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    You are aware that Morris was the DC in Tampa while being their head coach also, correct?
    Yeah, he took over the D during the second half of 2009 and ran it into the ground even farther than it already was.

    2009: Overall Rank: 29, Run: 32, Pass:10
    2010: Overall Rank: 16, Run:28, Pass: 8
    2011: Overall Rank: 29, Run: 32, Pass: 21

    I sure hope he can get those results for our D!!!!!

    Oh, and turnovers? 2011, they were ranked 20th in INTs.

    The offense had injuries too, why don't they get the same leeway as the defense?
    They do get the same leeway as the D, BUT the D did not lose the season for us in spite of the injuries. The offense did. These seasons happen. Have you seen me call for Ben getting cut, Tomlin fired, or Haley fired? No, but a lot here have. I am reasonable and see that the offense would have had to overcome some significant injuries for us to win this season. Unfortunately, you are not reasonable enough to see the D did overcome significant injuries to play well enough to make the playoffs. They were a top 10 defense (I agree that being ranked number one is not accurate), a standard the offense did not even come close to achieving.

    Because assclowns like you would rather protect their reputation instead of seeing things for what they are.
    I could care less about their "reputation." In fact, I even said that I agree that the D goes too conservative near the end of games. I believe the offense does at well, which probably indicates the approach is that of the head coach rather than either coordinator.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,447
    They do get the same leeway as the D, BUT the D did not lose the season for us in spite of the injuries. The offense did.
    Actually they both did. If the defense takes care of business at Tennessee and Oakland we aren't having this discussion. The defense also got torched for 415 yards by Tony Romo's offense in a big game. Philip Rivers? C'mon, he's been **** for 3 years and he dominated them.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Actually they both did. If the defense takes care of business at Tennessee and Oakland we aren't having this discussion. The defense also got torched for 415 yards by Tony Romo's offense in a big game. Philip Rivers? C'mon, he's been **** for 3 years and he dominated them.
    This team scored 4 or more TDs only one time the entire season. Even miserable offensive teams without QBs like the Jets and Titans scored 4 or more TDs more times this season than the Steelers.

    This Steelers offensive is pathetic. The team has an elite QB and yet the offense plays like a team in a transition period without a competent QB (sloppy, undisciplined, unorganized, slow, ultra conservative, etc. etc.).

    Anyone who think that time and resources should be wasted on any aspect of this team other than the offense is simply not understanding what teams must do to be successful in the modern NFL.

  4. #94
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    This team scored 4 or more TDs only one time the entire season. Even miserable offensive teams without QBs like the Jets and Titans scored 4 or more TDs more times this season than the Steelers.

    This Steelers offensive is pathetic. The team has an elite QB and yet the offense plays like a team in a transition period without a competent QB (sloppy, undisciplined, unorganized, slow, ultra conservative, etc. etc.).

    Anyone who think that time and resources should be wasted on any aspect of this team other than the offense is simply not understanding what teams must do to be successful in the modern NFL.
    I don't think the problem with the offense is so much about personnel, it's about injuries and philosophies.

    The injury situations with this team are well-known, so I won't go into it. Outdated philosophies on the other hand really harmed the Steelers. The offense went onto the field with the intention of possessing, not scoring. In their minds it doesn't matter because long drives keeps the defense rested and makes them better as a result. But as we've seen, the defense can blow a lead when they're out there less than 25 minutes.

    The Steelers, starting with Art II, do not want to be an offensive team. They want to be a defensive team. They don't want the offense to score many point because they're afraid they might get into a shootout. So they play scared, close to the vest Marty ball for most of the game. Only when their down in the last 2 minutes do they unleash Ben - he's not always going to win it when you only give him one chance at the end.

    Want more from the offense? Less emphasis on time of possession, more emphasis on scoring. But it doesn't look like the Steelers want to that...

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,447
    The injury situations with this team are well-known, so I won't go into it. Outdated philosophies on the other hand really harmed the Steelers. The offense went onto the field with the intention of possessing, not scoring. In their minds it doesn't matter because long drives keeps the defense rested and makes them better as a result. But as we've seen, the defense can blow a lead when they're out there less than 25 minutes.

    The Steelers, starting with Art II, do not want to be an offensive team. They want to be a defensive team. They don't want the offense to score many point because they're afraid they might get into a shootout. So they play scared, close to the vest Marty ball for most of the game. Only when their down in the last 2 minutes do they unleash Ben - he's not always going to win it when you only give him one chance at the end.

    Want more from the offense? Less emphasis on time of possession, more emphasis on scoring. But it doesn't look like the Steelers want to that...
    And THIS, is why I think Ben is gone after 2012. Art wants the team to be about HIM.

    At the expense of Ben getting the credit, and, at the expense of points and WINS.

    Ben is not going to let Art waste the rest of his career.

    Sorry, he's too competitive for that.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    I don't think the problem with the offense is so much about personnel, it's about injuries and philosophies.

    The injury situations with this team are well-known, so I won't go into it. Outdated philosophies on the other hand really harmed the Steelers. The offense went onto the field with the intention of possessing, not scoring. In their minds it doesn't matter because long drives keeps the defense rested and makes them better as a result. But as we've seen, the defense can blow a lead when they're out there less than 25 minutes.

    The Steelers, starting with Art II, do not want to be an offensive team. They want to be a defensive team. They don't want the offense to score many point because they're afraid they might get into a shootout. So they play scared, close to the vest Marty ball for most of the game. Only when their down in the last 2 minutes do they unleash Ben - he's not always going to win it when you only give him one chance at the end.

    Want more from the offense? Less emphasis on time of possession, more emphasis on scoring. But it doesn't look like the Steelers want to that...
    You're right on with your anslysis of the offensive philosophy, however, you're wrong regarding personnel. This team has had one one of the worst offensive lines in football for the last 4-5 years now. Others on this forum have verbalized the issue very well by stating how the offensive line doesn't even create a pocket for Roethlisberger. It's instant chaos the moment the ball is snapped. Other than Rodgers, no other top QB in the league would survive if they played behind this line. And a running game is not the only reason. The fact that teams blitz because they know the Steelers can't run the ball only exacerbates the problem. This team also doesn't have a real #1 receiver.

  7. #97
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    You're right on with your anslysis of the offensive philosophy, however, you're wrong regarding personnel. This team has had one one of the worst offensive lines in football for the last 4-5 years now. Others on this forum have verbalized the issue very well by stating how the offensive line doesn't even create a pocket for Roethlisberger. It's instant chaos the moment the ball is snapped. Other than Rodgers, no other top QB in the league would survive if they played behind this line. And a running game is not the only reason. The fact that teams blitz because they know the Steelers can't run the ball only exacerbates the problem. This team also doesn't have a real #1 receiver.
    I think much of the o-line issues are because of injury. The Steelers have spend high draft picks on o-linemen since 2010, but at some point they've all missed time because of injury. Pouncey, Gilbert, DeCastro, Adams, and even Colon have not been healthy.

    The way I see it, once they figure out how to stop falling on each other, maybe things will get better.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,447
    And how do most of our guys get hurt on the OL?

    Rolled up, bodies falling on them, etc.

    And that's because of too much congestion at the LOS.

    Which is exactly how Heath got hurt also.

  9. #99
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And THIS, is why I think Ben is gone after 2012. Art wants the team to be about HIM.

    At the expense of Ben getting the credit, and, at the expense of points and WINS.

    Ben is not going to let Art waste the rest of his career.

    Sorry, he's too competitive for that.
    Ben won't be gone, but I'm starting to wonder if being right is more important to the Steelers than winning.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    I think much of the o-line issues are because of injury. The Steelers have spend high draft picks on o-linemen since 2010, but at some point they've all missed time because of injury. Pouncey, Gilbert, DeCastro, Adams, and even Colon have not been healthy.

    The way I see it, once they figure out how to stop falling on each other, maybe things will get better.
    I'll give DeCastro and Adams another season, but the rest of them get hurt because they suck. In sports, durability has to be includes when evaluating personnel. In my opinion, a player who is hurt all the time sucks. Unless the injury is a serious off the field injury. Then it's excusable. On field injuries or BS off field injuries (like the **** baseball players pull) shouldn't be used as an excuse for why they're not good. It's a reason why they are worthless.

    And even serious off the field injuries aren't excusable sometimes, like idiot Roethlisberger riding around without a helmet.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jonathan Dwyer with back to back 100 yd games
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
  2. Former Steelers running back Willie Parker wants back in Pittsburgh
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •