Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerome Bettis Interview

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick

Jerome Bettis Interview

Found this interview Bettis did with a Cincinnati radio show regarding the Steelers. This part of it sums up his thoughts on the OC change last offseason and where the offense is now:

(Radio Host): "Would you say the decision to not bring back Bruce Arians and hire Todd Haley was a mistake?"
    Bettis: "I think it was a mistake, but it was a long time coming. When your star QB and offensive coordinator were really close and ownership felt that (Ben) wasn't getting enough discipline. It wasn't a one-year thing. Since Ben wasn't getting the discipline, they also felt that (Arians) was giving in to what Ben wanted to do as opposed to the philosophy of the Steelers, which has always been running the football first. When he (Arians) got away from running the football it created a problem in the mindset of the offense and became public enemy number one. I think the Steelers needed to see what kind of team did they have? Not a team that can run the ball 40 times and win. Now with (Todd) Haley, they don't have the personnel to do that and they're not winning".
    He believes Arians was in fact too close to Ben. However, he also sees what's happening now isn't working. We all know Jerome is an old-school guy, but even he sees the Steelers are no longer built like that. That should echo loud to Art Rooney II. 7-7 doesn't lie.

Arians had his faults (notably red zones), but I do believe he was fired for some of the wrong reasons.

EDIT: Forgot the link, apologies: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...eption-tonight
    Last edited by Get7With7; 12-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Banned
    Since Ben wasn't getting the discipline, they also felt that (Arians) was giving in to what Ben wanted to do as opposed to the philosophy of the Steelers, which has always been running the football first.
    That's not how we've won games since 2004-2011 Jerome. Whither you want to admit that or not you egotistical self promoter.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    That's not how we've won games since 2004-2011 Jerome. Whither you want to admit that or not you egotistical self promoter.
    I must admit I roll my eyes whenever I see his show on WPXI and he proclaims "THE STEELERS HAVE TO RUN THE BALL!" But obviously this season has opened his eyes a little bit. If he sees that the Steelers can't play that way, then it's definitely time for the organization to re-think its philosophies.

Banned
    Since Ben got here it's always been throw first, then run.

Just like when his little buddy Hines said that Jerome won those games for us at the end of 2005. What a slap in the face to Willie Parker that was.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Hey Jerome running the ball all those years with you as the featured player on offense littered the Steelers trophy case with Lombardis......lol I loved Jerome as a player but I find him so annoying in his retirement..........Please just shut up Jerome......

When you have an elite QB, the emphasis should be on passing the football, but you can't abandon the run either. The run will compliment the pass and vice versa. Nothing and I mean nothing slows down a good pass rush quite an efficient running game.

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    we dont have the personal to run the ball like we used to. and the league has changed since bettis played. loved bettis as a player, but he offered little as an analyst for nbc why he was axed. alot of these EX players become just bitter old has beens (aka Terry Bradshaw).

I'm not going to praise bruce arians. No way! Was glad to see him go. Haley is trying to save bens body, ill give him that.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Jerome Bettis Interview

I'm not real impressed with this offense at all. Looking at the numbers this years O isn't great! But I'm going to blame the new system. Next year will be good!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    He believes Arians was in fact too close to Ben. However, he also sees what's happening now isn't working.
    That's funny, because before Ben's injury, people were saying that he's having the best year in a while, and was a possible MVP candidate. We saw the offense hold the ball for more than 30 minutes time and again and kept the other team's O off the field. Haley's offense is bring Ben to another level. Give them another year or two together and they may do some great things.

What's working right this minute isn't working, that's true. But we've seen like 98 configurations of the offensive line, receivers dropping the ball faster than the Post Office can go bankrupt and our starting running back demoted and then benched.

There's nothing wrong with this offense that players staying healthy and holding on to the ball when it hits them in the hands wouldn't soundly fix.

Jerome Bettis Interview

BA went from our whipping boy to coach of the year candidate! lol
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information