Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few different playoff scenarios the next 2 weeks for the Steelers...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

A few different playoff scenarios the next 2 weeks for the Steelers...

Now I am going to try and break this down the best way I know how since I am pretty good at these things and if anybody thinks I am wrong or knows I am wrong please say so in reply.

1. Now this is the most simple one and I am pretty certain on it. If the Steelers beat the Cowboys Sunday and then the Bengals next week at home they will clinch a playoff spot even if the Jets somehow someway win out and finish 9-7 as well. I say this because the Steelers already own the head to head tiebraker over them by virtue of their win here at Heinz Field over the Jets on September 16th so a win this week over Dallas and a win next week over the Bengals will guarantee that the Steelers will not finish no worse then 9-7 and that the Bengals will finish no better then 9-7 and since the Steelers would have beaten them twice it really wont matter if the Steelers win or lose the last game against the Browns or the Bengals win or lose their last game against the Ravens IF they win this week in Dallas and beat Cincy next week at home they are in. If anybody knows if there is any possible scenario where should the Steelers,Bengals and Jets finish tied at 9-7 the Steelers wouldnt get in please tell me so and explain why. I am pretty certain they would break the tie within the division 1st between the Steelers and Cincy where the Steelers would win since they swept them and then it would go head to head with Jets after that which of course also goes to the Steelers seeing that they beat them head to head.

2. Here is a real crazy scenario and one the Steelers absolutely do not want to put themselves in. Let's say the Steelers beat the Cowboys on Sunday and then lose to the Bengals next Sunday, and let's say if that happens the Ravens split their next 2 games with the Broncos and Giants which would clinch the division for them but also put them at 5 losses. The Ravens might be in a situation where they have already clinched the division going into their last game in Cincy and they can no longer improve their seeding by getting a bye week or anything. They will either be the 3 or the 4. If that indeed is the case and like I said the Steelers beat Dallas and then turn around and lose to the Bengals at home next week the only way the Steelers would be able to get in the playoffs then is if they beat the Browns and they would then need the Ravens to absolutely beat the Bengals in Cincy so that they both would finish 9-7 but the Steelers would win the tiebraker with a better division record then the Bengals at 3-3 to their 2-4. The bottom line is you do NOT under any circumstances want to put your fate in the hands of the Ravens to have to win a game to help you get in the playoffs especially if they have nothing to play for. Because you can bet your last dollar that Harbaugh and that whole Ravens team will know the scenario and you can take it to the bank that they will tank that game on purpose so that the Steelers do not get into the playoffs and the Bengals do.

3. One final scenario which could go either way here and that is if the Ravens lose their next 2 games against the Broncos and Giants which is very very possible and either the Steelers win their next 2 games against the Cowboys and Bengals or the Steelers lose to both Dallas and the Bengals either the Steelers or Bengals would have a chance to still win the AFC North going into the final week. Let's say the Ravens do lose their next two games to Denver and the Giants and the Steelers beat Dallas but lose next week to the Bengals. The Bengals will go into their final game with the Ravens which is in Cincinnati with either a chance to win the AFC North if they beat the Ravens that day or not even make the playoffs at all and be left out if the Ravens beat them and the Steelers beat the Browns. That is probably the most craziest scenario but it definitely is possible. This is going to be very very fun to watch the next 2 weeks stay tuned and let me know if all of these scenarios I just posted make sense at all and if it clears somethings up a bit...

I don't think we are going to make the playoffs....remember we lost to the Raiders, Chargers...

Shouldn't it be a MUST win in the next three games? I don't know this team's identity
    Last edited by LevonKirkland99; 12-14-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Draft Pick
    I am curious about your scenerio if we beat cinci but have a 3 way tie at 9-7 with jets and cinci. since its a 3 way tie, does head to head matter, or is it conference record. But cinci cant possibly make playoffs as a 3rd place team , but steeler/jet tiebreaker would maybe be conference record and NOT head to head???? our conf record isnt good as we are 3-1 against NFC at worse (if dallas loss)

The Raven scenerio scares me, they'd be pouring champagne after a loss to cinci lol, and its not an inpossible scenrio

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantman View Post
    I am curious about your scenerio if we beat cinci but have a 3 way tie at 9-7 with jets and cinci. since its a 3 way tie, does head to head matter, or is it conference record. But cinci cant possibly make playoffs as a 3rd place team , but steeler/jet tiebreaker would maybe be conference record and NOT head to head???? our conf record isnt good as we are 3-1 against NFC at worse (if dallas loss)

The Raven scenerio scares me, they'd be pouring champagne after a loss to cinci lol, and its not an inpossible scenrio
    I am pretty certain the Steelers would still get in because they would break the tie within the division 1st which the Steelers would win over the Bengals assuming they beat them next Sunday, and after that they would go head to head with the Jets after that which like I mentioned since they beat the Jets head to head would win that tiebraker as well. I am not 100 percent sure about this but I am pretty sure. Of course if the Jets lose in Tennessee on Monday night or lose one of their other games to either the Chargers or Bills and get to 8 losses the 3 way tie of the Bengals Steelers and Jets has no chance of happening. So lets root for the Jets to lose at least one more game and get to 8 losses which I am fairly certain they will be able to do and this way they are no factor what so ever in terms of being them winning a 3 way tiebraker...

My Mood
    Clowns
    Just saw on the CBS Sports playoff scenario blog thing that if there was to be a 3 way tie at 9-7 between the Steelers,Bengals,and Ravens that the Steelers would win the AFC North and the Ravens would be the wildcard team over the Bengals or the Jets . So in order for that to happen the Ravens would of course have to lose out and finish 9-7, the Steelers would have to lose to the Cowboys and beat the Bengals and Browns, and the Bengals would have to beat the Ravens the final week of the season. So if all of that does happen the Steelers would indeed win the North at 9-7 because the Steelers and Ravens would both be 4-2 within the AFC North but this is where the Steelers would win the 3 way tiebraker the Steelers would be 3-1 combined against both the Bengals and the Ravens and the Ravens would be 2-2 combined against the Steelers and the Bengals,and the Bengals would be 2-4 in the division and 1-3 overall against the Steelers and Ravens combined which like I said is the next tiebraker when it comes down to breaking down tiebrakers within the divisions...This is a very interesting scenario that I didnot know about and one at this point that I think seeing that the Ravens have to play two very very tough games the next 2 weeks against the Broncos and Giants has a decent shot of possibly happening going into the last week of the season. Definitely something for sure to keep an eye on because I didnot know that scenario and it is very very intriguing...

Head to head games would be the first tie-breaker if between two clubs for the wild card. Such as Pitts. and NYJ.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

Rookie Free Agent
    My Mood
    Grumpy

My Social Networks

Follow City of Champyinz On Twitter Add City of Champyinz on Facebook Add City of Champyinz on Google+
    I hope they can win out and cruise into the playoffs (without injuries). Winning out can do great things for this team's confidence.
    Excuses are tools of the incompetent

My Mood
    Addicted
    if we get the 6th seed, were facing baltimore in the wildcards.
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    if we get the 6th seed, were facing baltimore in the wildcards.
    True, only if Ratbirds are 3rd seed.
    STEELSPIKES

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    The most realistic path to the playoffs is beating Cincy. Those other things are very convoluted and take too much luck to be realistic.

Thread Information