Thread: 7 Round Steeler Mock

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach

7 Round Steeler Mock

(I just discovered that there was a separate draft board)

My mock assumes the Steelers draft around #21

1st - Dion Jordan DE/OLB Oregon - I'm all in on Jordan. I think he's the elite pass rusher in this draft who is currently not getting the top recognition. I think he is the total package as a pass rusher, and his athleticism will allow him to play in any scheme. I would be happy to sacrifice our 3rd to trade up and ensure we get him

2nd - David Amerson FS NC State - A popular guy around here, i've noticed. Amerson is the pure ballhawk this team has lacked since Troy's injury decline started a few years ago. I would be happy to sacrifice a mid round pick to trade up and ensure we get him

3rd - Da'rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech - Character Concerns are dropping his stock, but he's got all the skills this team lacks. We need a guy with some size and strength to begin expanding this offense under Haley. He's got a mix of skills that remind me of a Julio Jones. He's not a great route runner, but those are things that can be coached... his size, speed, ball skills can't.

4th - Jonathan Brown ILB Illinois - He's a tackling machine. Atheltic to run to the ball, Strong at the point of attack. Versatile enough to fit my LB draft strategy of looking for guys who can play 4-3 as well.

5th - Michael Dyer RB Auburn/Ark State - All the talk is that he is returning to college ball next year. I'll believe it when I see it. I bet an agent convinces him to enter the NFL draft. The Steelers probably wont go for a guy with such a checkered past, but the value in the 5th would be excellent.

6th - AJ Klein ILB Iowa State - Sticking with the strategy that the 4-3 is in our future. I'm not sure where Klein fits in that type of future, but I know he's a gamer who will play NFL ball.

7th - DeQuinta Jones DT/DE Arkansas - He's a project, but the frame is intriguing. He's shown some flashes, but doesn't seem to fit in the scheme at Arkansas. His hand placement and athleticism would make him a more natural 1 gapper.

2nd String
    I'm not to sure about Dion Jordan being there when the Steelers pick ... and also I been watching games on youtube ... I'm not as sold as you and other people are on Jordan ... Now I wouldn't be mad at the pick

I'm still liking a trade back , according to the draft pick value calculator ... a trade from 21 to 28 would cost their 3rd(92nd)
    to move back up to 32nd it would cost 2nd(53rd), 3rd(85), and 4th(117),
    http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcul...pick-value.php

27th - Matt Elam - S - Flordia
    32nd - Alex Okafor - DE/OLB - Texas
    92nd - Kenjon Barner - RB - Oregon (Todd Haley Pick)
    5th -
    6th -
    7th -

Matt Elam and Alex Okafor could switch around depending on if think somebody will take the other before they pick again... but that way they only lose 1 pick , and get Impact Safety and Impact Rush LB

But I think you're right a trade up to get two Impact players in this draft ... they got to leave this draft with a Impact rush LB and Safety , but I'm starting to like Okafor and Elam more and more over the other players at their position

Assistant Coach
    Okafor is a Woodley clone. Powerful and Able to play the run. But simply not explosive or athletic enough to be a true impact player IMO.

That's why I LOVE Jordan. He's got freak athletic skills. Check out their Arizona St game... Jordan lines up as a stand up OLB, a down linemen DE and DT... and then yes, he moves outside, fully out in the slot, to cover... a slot WR.

Yea, Jordan is long and lanky... he lacks bulk... defending the run/his gap is not his strong suit. He does have the arm length and hand technique to disenage from blockers, but also gets mauled at times....But, you win with freaky athletic talents that change the way an offense plays against you (Troy, in prime)... We need that type of player, not another Woodley.

Will he be there at #21, I say hell no. He's the #7 overall player on my board. But I can dream... at least while most don't seem to recognize how good he COULD be.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Okafor is a Woodley clone. Powerful and Able to play the run. But simply not explosive or athletic enough to be a true impact player IMO.

That's why I LOVE Jordan. He's got freak athletic skills. Check out their Arizona St game... Jordan lines up as a stand up OLB, a down linemen DE and DT... and then yes, he moves outside, fully out in the slot, to cover... a slot WR.

Yea, Jordan is long and lanky... he lacks bulk... defending the run/his gap is not his strong suit. He does have the arm length and hand technique to disenage from blockers, but also gets mauled at times....But, you win with freaky athletic talents that change the way an offense plays against you (Troy, in prime)... We need that type of player, not another Woodley.

Will he be there at #21, I say hell no. He's the #7 overall player on my board. But I can dream... at least while most don't seem to recognize how good he COULD be.
    As a sophomore Okafor was needed to move inside to play DT too ... so he has the versatility also ...

He's not as athletic as Jordan, but he's still athletic enough ,... But another Woodley Clone wouldn't be a bad thing ... Woodley actually isn't to bad in Pass coverage(I think Woodley could stand to lose like 10lbs of muscle he's just so big), and I know he's been injury prone the past 2 season, but it's no debating the fact that when he's on the field he gets it done, especially in the playoff time

But with OKafor and Woodley ... the pocket would collapse with both of their power

Assistant Coach
    i think having 2 "power" rushers is a bad formula

Thread Information