Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apparently Andrew Luck is already better than Ben Roethlisberger

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    everyone knows that the colt's threw the season to get luck because they thought payton was done and luck is cheaper
    In hindsight this was brilliant. You lose a franchise QB you had for 15 years and now you gained another that may be around another 15 years. So you tank one season for 30 years of franchise QB play. Absolutely brilliant, I say!

Assistant Coach
    Luck-Rookie-Arians Offense = 67.4 QBR
    Ben-5th season-Arians Offense = 46.8
    Ben-6th season-Arians Offense = 67.3
    Ben-8th season-Arians Offense = 64.1
    Ben-9th season-Arians Offense = 63.6

If being objective counts for anything... lol

Banned
    Is someone in here using an ESPN invented stat to justify their sucking off of Luck? Yeah, there it is.

My Mood
    Addicted
    RG3 > Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Ben played on a contender, with a hall of fame running back in his rookie year. His opportunity to throw TDs was far easier. Wouldn't you agree? You seem to be missing the point. If Ben had the opportunity to throw more, the defenses he faced as a rookie would've been more geared towards that, and thus more difficult. You know that the Bettis/Parker, Oline, ground game in Ben's rookie year took a ton of pressure off of him. It kept Safeties in the box, teams had to always play the run first. Andrew Luck doesn't have that benefit... Andrew Luck is the focus of the defense.

QBR is a great statistic. Ben's got a top 10 QBR... and QBR recognizes his ability on 3rd downs. I'm sorry if the stat is too complicated for you. But it's an incredibly accurate representation of all QB actions. It accounts for balls thrown away, it accounts for the play of the offensive line, it accounts for penalties, it accounts for QBs that can scramble, it accounts for QBs who have option/run skills.

Generally, I find that people that simply dismiss statistics either don't understand them, or don't like that the stats don't fit their preconceived beliefs.

I'll wait for you to point out the statistical "flaw" you say exists in QBR, before deciding whether to take you seriously or not. I'm sure you can google/find something
    That same contender that was 6-10 in 2003? I understand the ****ing QBR just fine....lol Every stat has flaws in them and Alex Smith having a higher QBR then Ben proves that......Sorry I can't take a stat serious when a bum like Alex Smith is ahead of Big Ben.....Alex Smith is a joke wouldn't you agree?....
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 12-14-2012 at 05:51 PM.

My Mood
    Mad
    Parker barely played Ben's rookie year...If you remember Duce Staley started out as the starting RB and then Bettis took over when Staley was hurt yet again......Again you're dismissing what Ben did his rookie just so you can praise your boy Luck......Ben still threw 17 TD's in less then 300 attempts....Ben had a hand in building those leads and then Cowher shut him down in the 2nd half by running the ball to kill the clock......

I love again how somebody mentions Ben's horrible Super Bowl XL performance without mentioning how Ben played great in three play-off games and was huge in the Steelers reaching Super Bowl XL.......You can go on all you want about the running game and defense even in Ben's rookie year but I highly doubt the Steelers make the play-offs with Maddox at QB in 2004.....Many of the so called experts didn't think the Steelers were a contender heading into 2004 since they were coming off a 6-10 season.............
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 12-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Is someone in here using an ESPN invented stat to justify their sucking off of Luck? Yeah, there it is.
    It's common for dumb people to hate stuff

It's not really ESPN invented either... Dean Oliver, PhD Statistics, who also invented ABBR (Advanced Basketball Metrics), created QBR

I'm sure you can google some stuff on the internet about how dumb QBR is and then you can tell me how you are smarter than the PhD guy

Clowns will be Clowns

Assistant Coach
    That same contender that was 6-10 in 2003? I understand the ****ing QBR just fine....lol Every stat has flaws in them and Alex Smith having a higher QBR then Ben proves that......Sorry I can't take a stat serious when a bum like Alex Smith is ahead of Big Ben.....Alex Smith is a joke wouldn't you agree?....
    No I wouldn't agree. I don't think Alex Smith is ANYWHERE near as talented as Ben. But the measurement of his performance is accurate. High comp %, low turnovers, 3rd down conversion... He was doing(this year) all the things that matter in scoring points, winning games, etc....

I like QBR, because it shows the value in a game manager at QB, in a world where fantasy football has made people stupid.

You want to praise Roethlisberger's early career, and then trash Alex Smith present career... when aside from the age/stage of career differences... they are very similar. Low attempts, high YPA, great defense, run first offense.... You must not watch other teams play football very often.

you want to pick and choose facts/stats when they fit your narrative

QBR, an advanced stat developed by a PhD, supports my opinion on Luck

Assistant Coach
    Parker barely played Ben's rookie year...If you remember Duce Staley started out as the starting RB and then Bettis took over when Staley was hurt yet again......Again you're dismissing what Ben did his rookie just so you can praise your boy Luck......Ben still threw 17 TD's in less then 300 attempts....Ben had a hand in building those leads and then Cowher shut him down in the 2nd half by running the ball to kill the clock......

I love again how somebody mentions Ben's horrible Super Bowl XL performance without mentioning how Ben played great in three play-off games and was huge in the Steelers reaching Super Bowl XL.......You can go on all you want about the running game and defense even in Ben's rookie year but I highly doubt the Steelers make the play-offs with Maddox at QB in 2004.....Many of the so called experts didn't think the Steelers were a contender heading into 2004 since they were coming off a 6-10 season.............
    Smith had 13 TDs in 217 attempts (0.059 per) before injury this year, and 17 in 273/0.062 last year ... but he sucks. While you praise Ben (17 in 295/0.057 per)

Are you going to play the rookie card now?

The truth is, that the lack of an advanced metric measuring QBs for so long has left people kind of dumb to understanding QB talent

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    No I wouldn't agree. I don't think Alex Smith is ANYWHERE near as talented as Ben. But the measurement of his performance is accurate. High comp %, low turnovers, 3rd down conversion... He was doing(this year) all the things that matter in scoring points, winning games, etc....

I like QBR, because it shows the value in a game manager at QB, in a world where fantasy football has made people stupid.

You want to praise Roethlisberger's early career, and then trash Alex Smith present career... when aside from the age/stage of career differences... they are very similar. Low attempts, high YPA, great defense, run first offense.... You must not watch other teams play football very often.

you want to pick and choose facts/stats when they fit your narrative

QBR, an advanced stat developed by a PhD, supports my opinion on Luck
    Yea I don't watch other teams games...I only have had the Sunday tix since 2000 so I watch plenty of other teams games....lol Ok nice try.............Alex Smith has a nice QBR he is all of sudden a good NFL QB.....lol By the way I watched Smith play in college and it was evident he was a product of Urban Meyer's system at Utah........Smith was a bust who finally had a few decent seasons......Ben was a very good QB in his first couple years and elevated his game as an overall QB...........Yea so Alex Smith compares....lol The fact you would even try to compare any part of Smith's career to Ben's career is beyond laughable.....

Great an advanced stat developed by a PhD has Smith ranked higher then Ben....So it must be perfect right?....Like I said all stats are flawed in one way or another.......

Thread Information