Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hate on Mike Tomlin?

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Ok, my mistake. Thats pretty damn good, where did you find that? Just asking.
    up in my dumb brain that recalls every stupid loss...
    here's what I have... feel free to fact check me
    2007 : 2 - Denver and NYJ.... we also lost to Arizona that year, but I think they were 8-8.
    2008 : none
    2009 : 4 - This is the year... we lost to a bad Chicago team early in the season. Then came the trifecta... KC in OT, then the Gradkowski debacle, followed by Cleveland
    2010 : none
    2011 : none
    2012 : 3 - This year, Cle, Oak, and Ten

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Stay on topic please. Thread doesnt need jacked on the second page.
    His only response to people who give reasons for Tomlin to be fired is to call them racists or idiots, so I'll call him an idiot for wanting to keep Tomlin. I'm right on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    His only response to people who give reasons for Tomlin to be fired is to call them racists or idiots, so I'll call him an idiot for wanting to keep Tomlin. I'm right on topic.
    Ok, thanks man.

Banned
    You can give good reasons for wanting Tomlin fired. (You haven't done that). You may NOT use the Cowher excuse and you may NOT make up **** about how Tomlin behaves behind closed doors and situations to which you have nothing but fantasy land hatred.

You may not write off winning a super bowl 2 years later as winning with Cowher's guys and that Cowher left his coaching "instilled" for 2 years... that kind of stuff makes you kinda look like a big ol dummy, who knows nothing about what goes into coaching.
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 12-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Here's why Tomlin is under fire.

1. Game day management skills are bad
    2. Players don't seem to respond to what he says after the fact.
    3. Doesn't seem to have control over his own defensive coordinator
    4. Doesn't show leadership in adversity
    5. Hasn't taken control of the conditioning of the O-line when it's obvious there's been a problem atleast 3 years.
    6. Doesn't hold players accountable (allowing Wallace to loaf for example) but he's made a slight effort in benching Mendy
    7. Doesn't pay attention to the little things and doesn't insist on perfection

These are the areas he's lacking.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Banned
    Five reasons to fire Tomlin:

1. No improvement to the offensive line in 6 seasons.
    2. No improvement to the secondary in 6 seasons.
    3. Complete decline of a competent and consistent running game in 6 seasons.
    4. Sticking with an inept offensive coordinator until ownership was forced to step in and call for a change.
    5. asinine clock management, incapable of maintaining leads, poor use of challenges and lack of preparation against bad teams.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post

1. Game day management skills are bad
    2. Players don't seem to respond to what he says after the fact.
    3. Doesn't seem to have control over his own defensive coordinator
    4. Doesn't show leadership in adversity
    5. Hasn't taken control of the conditioning of the O-line when it's obvious there's been a problem atleast 3 years.
    6. Doesn't hold players accountable (allowing Wallace to loaf for example) but he's made a slight effort in benching Mendy
    7. Doesn't pay attention to the little things and doesn't insist on perfection

1. Game Day skills aren't the best.... but better then half the league (do you guys watch some of these coaches?)
    2. Too subjective... mostly just a hyperbole comment
    3. Completely disagree... we've seen move press and M2M... and it comes from Tomlin post 2009 debacle
    4. Arizona Super Bowl.... Comeback win over Baltimore playoffs.... plenty of comeback wins in career
    5. Really? Where do you get the conditioning problem? Knee and ankle injuries aren't conditioning related.
    6. Hampton out of shape. Benching McFadden in past. Benching Oline guys in past (Kemo).
    7. More made up hyperbole.

The truth is... it's REALLY difficult to judge a head coach on anything more then his record. I mean, you can make **** up in your head like some of the above subjective statements that aren't supported by much of anything but your own "feeling" and "guess work". And you CAN be highly critical of game day decisions (clock management, situational play/decisions, challenges, etc.... the real hard truth, is that outside of the gameday decisions you are witness to, the 95% of what coaches do is completely out of your purview. You simply do NOT know what you are talking about... so why are you pretending to?

focusing on more then overall record is something pretenders do...

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    My comments are in red.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post

1. Game day management skills are bad Fair enough
    2. Players don't seem to respond to what he says after the fact.The objective measure of this is...?
    3. Doesn't seem to have control over his own defensive coordinator If he took too much control over the number 1 D in football, he would be nuts.
    4. Doesn't show leadership in adversity The objective measure of this is...?
    5. Hasn't taken control of the conditioning of the O-line when it's obvious there's been a problem atleast 3 years.What objective measure do you have that the O-Line is less conditioned than other teams? Their injuries have been far more the "having someone fall on your leg" variety than sucking wind.
    6. Doesn't hold players accountable (allowing Wallace to loaf for example) but he's made a slight effort in benching Mendy We have no idea what happens in the locker room. A good coach usually does not hold players accountable, they have a culture where the players hold each other accountable. Today's athletes laugh at benchings and fines which are the hammer and wrench of a coach's toolbox.
    7. Doesn't pay attention to the little things and doesn't insist on perfection Objective measure? On what evidence do you make this claim?

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned

4. Sticking with an inept offensive coordinator until ownership was forced to step in and call for a change.
    5. asinine clock management, incapable of maintaining leads, poor use of challenges and lack of preparation against bad teams.
    1. Factually false
    2. Factually false
    3. True, but a decline in competent talent as well as injuries play a role
    4. Tomlin pushed for that change
    5. True and False - for every example of bad clock management, I can also point to an example of good.

1. I like where the offensive line is now compared to what it was a few years back. There is some imporvement in my opininon.
    2. With the rise of Keenan Lewis this season, this is a true statement. Will Gay hurt us along with Ike at times. The issue with me is the inability to creat int's in the secondary.
    3. Run game has been sucking the past few years. I will put that on Tomlin/Arians
    4. Give you that one
    5. This is the difference between Tomlin and Billicheck and the greats. I think this will come along more when Mike has been here longer. He is still young as a coach and I think he will improve on this area of work in the next few years.

I thinbk Tomlin is fine, he is only 40 years old. If nothing improves the next 3 seasons, then yes. Get rid of him.

Thread Information