Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: It's never too early to talk Draft 2013

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    the point is that you can land great talent and impact players in those mid rounds (granted it's harder), but that's where Colbert nabs a Mike Wallace or Keenan Lewis... or later rounds like Cortez Allen or Chris Rainey

Sure, you miss 4 out of 5 times... but I'd rather take those shots on players that could make a difference regularly, rather then investing in a backup you "might" need.

90% of the QBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds are free agents in 2 years... go get one of them in free agency, and coach em up. or sign a veteran as a long term backup... the Steelers have been to 3 super bowls with that strategy, i think it's worked out ok.
    i totally understand....i dont think aaron murray is some bum either though, i think hes farrrr superior to mccoy and could actually be a good player...wouldnt be surprised to see him in the 2nd round discussion which if he falls and does well could bring a return for us in wins or trade value

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    If the QB is the best available when the Steelers pick in the 3rd or 4th round....Then why not?......Really its all about value and players drop all the time.....I like best player available over need.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    If the QB is the best available when the Steelers pick in the 3rd or 4th round....Then why not?......Really its all about value and players drop all the time.....I like best player available over need.....
    The only time I believe in BPA is when you are picking at the top of the 1st round... and in other rounds when 1 player is ranked significantly higher on your board. If you are picking 44th, and the highest player on your board is ranked #17, and the next highest player is ranked #31, then by all means go BPA on your board

But if the 3 highest rated guys on your board are all grouped together... say #73, #74, #76.... then it would be stupid not to draft for the greater need... because it would be incredibly arrogant to think that you were able to quantify a difference between the talent of the 73rd ranked player and the 76th ranked player.

I would argue that "need" is inherently a part of your board anyways...

Going BPA as a rule, can really set back a franchise...

need is absolutely a factor, more and more so as you get away from the top 10-15....they dont just go BPA, evander hood a very good example of them not taking the best player available. They wanted so badly to get younger on the dline and they took a player for pure need even though he wasnt really a good fit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    need is absolutely a factor, more and more so as you get away from the top 10-15....they dont just go BPA, evander hood a very good example of them not taking the best player available. They wanted so badly to get younger on the dline and they took a player for pure need even though he wasnt really a good fit
    I have this "I just made it up in my head" theory... that Tomlin and Colbert expected Lebeau to retire by now... lol. That's the only way the Hood pick makes any sense.... I think Hood would be a beast in a 4-3. Could you imagine him running in Perry Fewel's schemes? Perfect fit...

My Mood
    Mad
    The only time I believe in BPA is when you are picking at the top of the 1st round... and in other rounds when 1 player is ranked significantly higher on your board. If you are picking 44th, and the highest player on your board is ranked #17, and the next highest player is ranked #31, then by all means go BPA on your board

But if the 3 highest rated guys on your board are all grouped together... say #73, #74, #76.... then it would be stupid not to draft for the greater need... because it would be incredibly arrogant to think that you were able to quantify a difference between the talent of the 73rd ranked player and the 76th ranked player.

I would argue that "need" is inherently a part of your board anyways...

Going BPA as a rule, can really set back a franchise...
    But a team can just draft a safety just cause they need a safety....I agree safety is a big time need for the Steelers but I don't them to draft a safety early just cause safety is a huge need......All I'm saying just make sure value is there.....

My Mood
    Mad
    I have this "I just made it up in my head" theory... that Tomlin and Colbert expected Lebeau to retire by now... lol. That's the only way the Hood pick makes any sense.... I think Hood would be a beast in a 4-3. Could you imagine him running in Perry Fewel's schemes? Perfect fit...
    LeBeau is never going to retire...He will die on the sidelines......

My Mood
    Addicted
    I thought Lattimore was going back to USC next year or in 2014.

he said he was declaring yesterday

2nd String
    what do yall think about Kenjon Barner in the 3rd?

Thread Information