Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 96

Thread: It's never too early to talk Draft 2013

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #81
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,410
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    the point is that you can land great talent and impact players in those mid rounds (granted it's harder), but that's where Colbert nabs a Mike Wallace or Keenan Lewis... or later rounds like Cortez Allen or Chris Rainey

    Sure, you miss 4 out of 5 times... but I'd rather take those shots on players that could make a difference regularly, rather then investing in a backup you "might" need.

    90% of the QBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds are free agents in 2 years... go get one of them in free agency, and coach em up. or sign a veteran as a long term backup... the Steelers have been to 3 super bowls with that strategy, i think it's worked out ok.
    i totally understand....i dont think aaron murray is some bum either though, i think hes farrrr superior to mccoy and could actually be a good player...wouldnt be surprised to see him in the 2nd round discussion which if he falls and does well could bring a return for us in wins or trade value

  2. #82
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    If the QB is the best available when the Steelers pick in the 3rd or 4th round....Then why not?......Really its all about value and players drop all the time.....I like best player available over need.....

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    If the QB is the best available when the Steelers pick in the 3rd or 4th round....Then why not?......Really its all about value and players drop all the time.....I like best player available over need.....
    The only time I believe in BPA is when you are picking at the top of the 1st round... and in other rounds when 1 player is ranked significantly higher on your board. If you are picking 44th, and the highest player on your board is ranked #17, and the next highest player is ranked #31, then by all means go BPA on your board

    But if the 3 highest rated guys on your board are all grouped together... say #73, #74, #76.... then it would be stupid not to draft for the greater need... because it would be incredibly arrogant to think that you were able to quantify a difference between the talent of the 73rd ranked player and the 76th ranked player.

    I would argue that "need" is inherently a part of your board anyways...

    Going BPA as a rule, can really set back a franchise...

  4. #84
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,410
    need is absolutely a factor, more and more so as you get away from the top 10-15....they dont just go BPA, evander hood a very good example of them not taking the best player available. They wanted so badly to get younger on the dline and they took a player for pure need even though he wasnt really a good fit

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,646
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    need is absolutely a factor, more and more so as you get away from the top 10-15....they dont just go BPA, evander hood a very good example of them not taking the best player available. They wanted so badly to get younger on the dline and they took a player for pure need even though he wasnt really a good fit
    I have this "I just made it up in my head" theory... that Tomlin and Colbert expected Lebeau to retire by now... lol. That's the only way the Hood pick makes any sense.... I think Hood would be a beast in a 4-3. Could you imagine him running in Perry Fewel's schemes? Perfect fit...

  6. #86
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    The only time I believe in BPA is when you are picking at the top of the 1st round... and in other rounds when 1 player is ranked significantly higher on your board. If you are picking 44th, and the highest player on your board is ranked #17, and the next highest player is ranked #31, then by all means go BPA on your board

    But if the 3 highest rated guys on your board are all grouped together... say #73, #74, #76.... then it would be stupid not to draft for the greater need... because it would be incredibly arrogant to think that you were able to quantify a difference between the talent of the 73rd ranked player and the 76th ranked player.

    I would argue that "need" is inherently a part of your board anyways...

    Going BPA as a rule, can really set back a franchise...
    But a team can just draft a safety just cause they need a safety....I agree safety is a big time need for the Steelers but I don't them to draft a safety early just cause safety is a huge need......All I'm saying just make sure value is there.....

  7. #87
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I have this "I just made it up in my head" theory... that Tomlin and Colbert expected Lebeau to retire by now... lol. That's the only way the Hood pick makes any sense.... I think Hood would be a beast in a 4-3. Could you imagine him running in Perry Fewel's schemes? Perfect fit...
    LeBeau is never going to retire...He will die on the sidelines......

  8. #88
    Chuck's Place ChucktownSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,589
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I thought Lattimore was going back to USC next year or in 2014.

  9. #89
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,410
    he said he was declaring yesterday

  10. #90
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    703
    what do yall think about Kenjon Barner in the 3rd?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 MOCK DRAFT AT WEEK 8 (4ROUNDS)
    By connecticutsteel in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
  2. Early Super Bowl 2013 odds...who's got the best chance?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
  3. Is it too early to start thinking about 2013?
    By Number99 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
  4. Never too early to talk draft.
    By Dallas Burgher in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
  5. My Draft to 2013
    By scudmissile29 in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •