Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96

Thread: It's never too early to talk Draft 2013

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #71
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    17,729
    which could come in the form of a FS, SS, OLB, NT, or CB...its not gonna come all at once

    First 3 picks could be a lot of different options. They could take John Jenkins in the first and brandon jenkins in the second, they culd target a safety like McDonald, Reid, Rambo, Vaccaro....all of which have their value all over the place at this point. They could go with Amerson, Banks, Rhodes at CB, amerson is a FS to me but banks and rhodes are long rangy CB who are press man guys. But G, WR, RB are all needs too. Obviously im on board with a top guard again. Having a interior line that is unbeatable will make adams and gilbert look like gods at tackle. We want to go towards building a line that dominates rather than keep playing musical linemen with backups, dont want to turn into the bears and just watch them get pummeled week after week

  2. #72
    Veteran steelchamp204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,752
    I think the dline can be ok for another year if Tomlin decides to play McLendon more often and start putting Heyward in more. We need to cut some guys if they arent going to fully play on the defensive side of the Ball. I think Sly wont be here for much longer and I expect Spence to get some time in with Foote next season(crossing fingers). I would love to see Reid playing for us as safety. Or Rambo. I dont think we will get either.

  3. #73
    Veteran TarlsQtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,099
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    you have to take these guys high or you end up with dennis dixon or omar jacobs. Skins drafted RG3 and cousins in the 1st and 4th round, and cousins is probably starting for them this week. Eagles have taken kolb and foles high and they had one hell of a return on investment with foles, both RG3 and Vick are injury prone, so lets not pretend roethlisberger is the most durable guy.
    Yeah, but like every team if our starter goes down for any significant period we would not make the playoffs regardless of whom we draft as Ben's backup. Even Aaron Rodgers had poor numbers as a backup, as they just do not get enough reps to be sharp.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

  4. #74
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    17,729
    but for 3-4 games its worth having someone you can count on, and batch is not that guy anymore and leftwich never really was.

    i guarantee the browns dont regret taking mccoy even if they just got weeden, because mccoy is a hell of a backup QB they could count on

  5. #75
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    but for 3-4 games its worth having someone you can count on, and batch is not that guy anymore and leftwich never really was.

    i guarantee the browns dont regret taking mccoy even if they just got weeden, because mccoy is a hell of a backup QB they could count on
    Yea, I'm sure the Browns are thrilled that they drafted Colt McCoy in the 3rd round, over Eric Decker WR, Navarro Bowman LB, Jimmy Graham TE... who all went in the next 10 picks


  6. #76
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    17,729
    right but thats so much hindsight, none of those guys were great prospects at the time.

    they either have a good backup, which is HUGE for a team like the steelers that are in contention year after year with a fragile QB or they will trade him away to be a backup somewhere else (GB maybe?)

  7. #77
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    right but thats so much hindsight, none of those guys were great prospects at the time.

    they either have a good backup, which is HUGE for a team like the steelers that are in contention year after year with a fragile QB or they will trade him away to be a backup somewhere else (GB maybe?)
    the point is that you can land great talent and impact players in those mid rounds (granted it's harder), but that's where Colbert nabs a Mike Wallace or Keenan Lewis... or later rounds like Cortez Allen or Chris Rainey

    Sure, you miss 4 out of 5 times... but I'd rather take those shots on players that could make a difference regularly, rather then investing in a backup you "might" need.

    90% of the QBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds are free agents in 2 years... go get one of them in free agency, and coach em up. or sign a veteran as a long term backup... the Steelers have been to 3 super bowls with that strategy, i think it's worked out ok.

  8. #78
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    the point is that you can land great talent and impact players in those mid rounds (granted it's harder), but that's where Colbert nabs a Mike Wallace or Keenan Lewis... or later rounds like Cortez Allen or Chris Rainey

    Sure, you miss 4 out of 5 times... but I'd rather take those shots on players that could make a difference regularly, rather then investing in a backup you "might" need.

    90% of the QBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds are free agents in 2 years... go get one of them in free agency, and coach em up. or sign a veteran as a long term backup... the Steelers have been to 3 super bowls with that strategy, i think it's worked out ok.
    I completley agree. Seahawks had an unknown in flynn. Eagles had injury prone vick and the redskins draft RGIII who is vulnerable to injury because of the way he plays. Ill be interested to see who gets let go by other teams in the offseason. Hopefully they pick up someone decent.

    Steelers need to focus on Defense in the draft. Look around for a FA quarterback and running back. I'm hoping they do something like this in the draft....

    1 – Louis Nix III – NT – Notre Dame
    2 – Phillip Thomas – SS – Fresno State
    3 – Shayne Skov – ILB – Stanford
    4 – D.J. Swearinger – FS – South Carolina

  9. #79
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    239
    There's so many needs on defense that it's pretty hard to zero in on what's most important. Putting McClendon and Hayward in permanently would be a good start for the d-line. That leaves a Harrison replacement and Troy replacement as the top order of the day imo.There are too many pressing needs to trade up unless a great talent slips and is suddenly witthin range. At some point you got to get a Ben replacement as well. That's the only other real reason to trade up because Ben has a lot of mileage on him now and is getting dinged up regularly.

  10. #80
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by norris View Post
    I completley agree. Seahawks had an unknown in flynn. Eagles had injury prone vick and the redskins draft RGIII who is vulnerable to injury because of the way he plays. Ill be interested to see who gets let go by other teams in the offseason. Hopefully they pick up someone decent.

    Steelers need to focus on Defense in the draft. Look around for a FA quarterback and running back. I'm hoping they do something like this in the draft....

    1 – Louis Nix III – NT – Notre Dame
    2 – Phillip Thomas – SS – Fresno State
    3 – Shayne Skov – ILB – Stanford
    4 – D.J. Swearinger – FS – South Carolina
    They need playmakers on defense for sure... I'd be disappointed if they went with run support players like NT and Skov (although Skov in the 3rd would be a steal).
    A premier Pass Rusher is an absolute must in this draft

    It's a great draft for safeties... and I have no doubt we can land a very good one in the 2nd.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 MOCK DRAFT AT WEEK 8 (4ROUNDS)
    By connecticutsteel in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
  2. Early Super Bowl 2013 odds...who's got the best chance?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
  3. Is it too early to start thinking about 2013?
    By Number99 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
  4. Never too early to talk draft.
    By Dallas Burgher in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
  5. My Draft to 2013
    By scudmissile29 in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •