Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 96

Thread: It's never too early to talk Draft 2013

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464

    It's never too early to talk Draft 2013

    Who are the resident draft nerds around here?

    What players do you have your eye on?

    1. Dion Jordan DE/OLB Oregon - He's been my guy since early in the season, but I expect he's moved up boards from a late 1st rounder, into a top 20 pick for sure. This team desperately lacks a player who can create a pass rush through speed/skill rather then power/scheme. Jordan, dare I make the comparison, has the same explosiveness and the nasty arm length and hand athleticism as Aldon Smith. This is the year, and Jordan is the type of player, that I would give up picks to move up and get. But.. alas, but combine day, he'll probably be a top 10-15 pick.

    2. Eric Reid FS LSU - clearly the best safety in the draft, and a guy who comes from a DB factory (LSU). I think he's a better all around player then Mark Barron. He's the typical, big game playmaker... as I'm sure no one has forgotten that INT at the 1 yard line to hold the 6-6 tie game at Alabama 2011. It's time to get some talent groomed behind Troy/Clark.

    3. Damontre Moore DE/OLB Texas A&M - The 3rd best pass rusher in the draft (Jones, Jordan). Note the elite explosion and pass rush versatility that Jones and Jordan have, but probably the most well rounded of the bunch. Plays the run very well for an end.

    4. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB LSU - He probably won't be available when we draft, and I wouldn't trade up for him. But if he did end up being the "guy that falls", I'd jump. No where near the explosive/dynamic talent that Jones/Jordan is, but Mingo is an SEC rounded talent who has shown he's got all the NFL skills required to be a player. Safe pick if he fell.

    5. Corderelle Patterson WR Tennessee - Another guy who is going to fly up draft boards after the combine. Sky high potential, high bust factor. The tape is tantalizing... I usually hate the "compare draft pick to superstar player"... but watch his stride, and tell me it doesn't look just like Randy Moss.

    6. The other 1st round WRs : Keenan Allen, Deandre Hopkins, Terrance Williams - I would not pay Mike Wallace. But, I would not go into next season without adding something to the WR core. Im a huge Antonio Brown fan. But he is NOT a #1 WR. I am not a believer in Sanders being more than a weak #2... solid #3. Brown is an EXCELLENT #2... if the chance to land a #1 comes along we should take it.

  2. #2
    Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ohio (Clowns country)
    Posts
    1,884
    My Mood
    Clowns
    how about a franchise rb? I think Mendenhall is out after this season. I dont think dwyer or redman, or rainy are what we need to carry the load.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

  3. #3
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464
    I don't think there are any elite talents this year. It's a really weak draft for RBs

    I wouldn't waste a pick in round 1-2 on a RB at this time. If Marcus Lattimore's injury drops him to the 3rd round I'd jump all over it....

    I think Dwyer is good enough, I think Rainey needs to be utilized more, I think we need to add someone in rounds 3-5

    I like Jonathan Franklin out of UCLA as a mid rounder who would make a nice compliment to Dwyer

  4. #4
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    5,840
    My pipe dream is Manti Te'o. I would absolutely love to see him in the Steelers. Unfortunately it's just that, a pipe dream. If we dont go safety in round 1, I really Like Matt Elam in the second, if he's there. Maybe it's just my Gator bias, but the man can ball. He can play the run and he's good in coverage. He can make plays on the ball too. Terrance Williams is a guy I like at the WR position. Big body, possession received with enough speed. I also really like Jon Bostic in maybe the 4th round at MLB. Again, maybe it's my gator bias but I really feel like he can develop into a nice starter in this system.

    On the running back note, I really like Eddie Lacey if he decides to declare.
    Last edited by Big T; 12-10-2012 at 09:59 PM.

  5. #5
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    My pipe dream is Manti Te'o. I would absolutely love to see him in the Steelers. Unfortunately it's just that, a pipe dream. If we dont go safety in round 1, I really Like Matt Elam in the second, if he's there. Maybe it's just my Gator bias, but the man can ball. He can play the run and he's good in coverage. He can make plays on the ball too. Terrance Williams is a guy I like at the WR position. Big body, possession received with enough speed. I also really like Jon Bostic in maybe the 4th round at MLB. Again, maybe it's my gator bias but I really feel like he can develop into a nice starter in this system.
    I love Te'o. But he's a top 8 pick for sure.
    I definitely agree on Elam. Elam is a true hybrid safety. And that is more and more valuable in todays NFL....
    I'd sacrifice a goat for Jordan 1st round, Elam 2nd round.

  6. #6
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464
    I don't like Lacy... I not enough speed. no feet. he's a straight ahead bulldozer and i just don't see that being successful these days. I'd be interested mid round, but not at the 2nd round cost that he's likely to draw thanks to Womack and Jones beasting the interior in Alabama

  7. #7
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,261
    Posted this yesterday

    heres what i would say from the past few weeks:

    1 Travis Frederick OG Wisconsin (Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame)
    Frederick would be an incredible LG to team up with Pouncey and Decastro on the inside.

    Eifert is a jump ball phenom, he would be the successor to Heath but would be a big impact in the passing game from day one

    2 David Amerson CB North Carolina State (Margus Hunt DE SMU)
    Amerson is a classic CB to FS transition candidate...Rolle, Jenkins, ect....his ball skills are out of this world and hes a big hitter, hes been burned this year after having ridiculous pick numbers last year, but his fall from top 10 to second would be a great gift.

    Margus Hunt is a physical freak, to play him in a 34 he could be like a mixure of JJ Watt and Calais Campbell

    3 Chase Thomas OLB Stanford (Dennard Robinson, WR Mich)

    Chase Thomas is a high effort pass rusher, hes relentless and excels at blitzing.

    Robinson has trick play ability but would likely be a return man and he just has a dynamic in the open field that rivals hester or harvin

    4 Aaron Murray QB Georgia (Montee Ball RB, Wisc)
    Highest percentage passer in college football, could possibly be a starter one day but is an ideal backup QB. Better than colt mccoy could dream to be, and id take colt mccoy as a backup in a heartbeat.

    Ball is a hard runner with terrific vision, i think hes a lot like chester taylor and would immediately be better than redman

    5 Jon Bostic MLB Florida

    Good MLB of the future, they will likely miss out on teo and skov if they want to target a MLB

    just a few guys i like early in the process, im not quite where i usually am as far as grading prospects
    by position guys im intrested in on offense:

    QB:

    Aaron Murray
    EJ Manuel

    RB:

    Montee Ball Wisc
    Eddie Lacey Bama

    WR:

    Keenan Allen Cal
    Terrence Williams Baylor
    Robert Woods WR USC
    Dennard Robinson Mich

    TE:

    Tyler Eifert

    OT:

    DJ Fluker Bama
    Brennen Williams North Carolina
    Sentreal Henderson Miami

    OG:

    Travis Frederick <3 Wisc
    Chance Warmack Bama
    Barrett Jones Bama

  8. #8
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464
    Amerson!
    I also think he's a natural convert to safety, and would be happy to invest a 2nd rounder in him.
    I love the Chase Thomas 3rd rounder pick (although this is the year I hope we go round 1 pass rusher)

    Hunt is too much of a project for my liking in the 2nd round.

  9. #9
    Draft Pick mcfly06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    orignally from pittsburgh,but now stuck in browns country :(northeast ohio 30mins south of cleveland
    Posts
    163

    My Social Networks

    Add mcfly06 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Who are the resident draft nerds around here?

    What players do you have your eye on?

    1. Dion Jordan DE/OLB Oregon - He's been my guy since early in the season, but I expect he's moved up boards from a late 1st rounder, into a top 20 pick for sure. This team desperately lacks a player who can create a pass rush through speed/skill rather then power/scheme. Jordan, dare I make the comparison, has the same explosiveness and the nasty arm length and hand athleticism as Aldon Smith. This is the year, and Jordan is the type of player, that I would give up picks to move up and get. But.. alas, but combine day, he'll probably be a top 10-15 pick.

    2. Eric Reid FS LSU - clearly the best safety in the draft, and a guy who comes from a DB factory (LSU). I think he's a better all around player then Mark Barron. He's the typical, big game playmaker... as I'm sure no one has forgotten that INT at the 1 yard line to hold the 6-6 tie game at Alabama 2011. It's time to get some talent groomed behind Troy/Clark.

    3. Damontre Moore DE/OLB Texas A&M - The 3rd best pass rusher in the draft (Jones, Jordan). Note the elite explosion and pass rush versatility that Jones and Jordan have, but probably the most well rounded of the bunch. Plays the run very well for an end.

    4. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB LSU - He probably won't be available when we draft, and I wouldn't trade up for him. But if he did end up being the "guy that falls", I'd jump. No where near the explosive/dynamic talent that Jones/Jordan is, but Mingo is an SEC rounded talent who has shown he's got all the NFL skills required to be a player. Safe pick if he fell.

    5. Corderelle Patterson WR Tennessee - Another guy who is going to fly up draft boards after the combine. Sky high potential, high bust factor. The tape is tantalizing... I usually hate the "compare draft pick to superstar player"... but watch his stride, and tell me it doesn't look just like Randy Moss.

    6. The other 1st round WRs : Keenan Allen, Deandre Hopkins, Terrance Williams - I would not pay Mike Wallace. But, I would not go into next season without adding something to the WR core. Im a huge Antonio Brown fan. But he is NOT a #1 WR. I am not a believer in Sanders being more than a weak #2... solid #3. Brown is an EXCELLENT #2... if the chance to land a #1 comes along we should take it.
    I agree with a lot of your players you listed on here, if you go to my thread in the war room. I posted one about players that are playing in the bowl games to keep a eye out on, now were not gonna get all of them and i know theres others players out there not in bowl games. But just when your watching bowl games keep a eye out on them, its called players in bowl games to keep a eye out on. But for running backs would you guys take a chance on Marcus Lattimore?? other than him its Eddie Lacy i love him and want him bad on the steelers, Jon Franklin and a few others.

  10. #10
    Draft Pick mcfly06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    orignally from pittsburgh,but now stuck in browns country :(northeast ohio 30mins south of cleveland
    Posts
    163

    My Social Networks

    Add mcfly06 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Posted this yesterday

    heres what i would say from the past few weeks:



    by position guys im intrested in on offense:

    QB:

    Aaron Murray
    EJ Manuel

    RB:

    Montee Ball Wisc
    Eddie Lacey Bama

    WR:

    Keenan Allen Cal
    Terrence Williams Baylor
    Robert Woods WR USC
    Dennard Robinson Mich

    TE:

    Tyler Eifert

    OT:

    DJ Fluker Bama
    Brennen Williams North Carolina
    Sentreal Henderson Miami

    OG:

    Travis Frederick <3 Wisc
    Chance Warmack Bama
    Barrett Jones Bama
    Again Train we think a like!! id be happy with all these guys!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 MOCK DRAFT AT WEEK 8 (4ROUNDS)
    By connecticutsteel in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
  2. Early Super Bowl 2013 odds...who's got the best chance?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
  3. Is it too early to start thinking about 2013?
    By Number99 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
  4. Never too early to talk draft.
    By Dallas Burgher in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
  5. My Draft to 2013
    By scudmissile29 in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •