Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 96

Thread: It's never too early to talk Draft 2013

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #61
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    But isn't this Lattimore's 2nd major injury?
    I don't want Latimore. He is another Mendenhall all over again. Overrated and really not that good.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  2. #62
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ban City
    Posts
    5,017
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    The problem is that it is very difficult to get any of those things when you draft 25-32 almost every year. You get solid players with flaws.
    You have to be willing to make moves and spend multiple picks to move up and get the impact players, teams find ways to do this every year.

    Dion Jordan is not going to be there when the Steelers pick... but they could CHOOSE to do what's necessary to move up and get a bigger impact player

  3. #63
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,616
    Neilpatrickbanana,

    A lot of truth in what your saying but..we have a front office that won't use free agency to compensate for the picks they might trade away in moving up. That's also the problem.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  4. #64
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ban City
    Posts
    5,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Neilpatrickbanana,

    A lot of truth in what your saying but..we have a front office that won't use free agency to compensate for the picks they might trade away in moving up. That's also the problem.

    If the Steelers are picking #21 (my projection), they could use their 2nd rounder to get up to around #12, or use 3rd and 4th to get to #15. If Jordan is not taken in the top 10, I'd be looking to do whatever it takes to get him.

    Of course, if you don't have Jordan valued the way I do, then that sounds crazy.

  5. #65
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,917
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

    what do you mean 4 is to high for a backup QB? i could name a dozen 2-5 round picks that arent even on the team anymore.....getting a real backup they can count on in the 4th would be excellent, an excellent prospect even if hes undersized hes a terrific passer.
    The fact that you can name a dozen 2-5 picks no longer with the team is exactly the problem and why we find ourselves where we are. The defense is a major problem. They don't rush the passer well and don't create turn overs. That's why we're desperate now for new playmakers.

    Back up QB is absolutely a need, but it's not a bigger need than an additional CB, WR, RB or TE. So there's no way I'd spend a 4 on a position we hope never sees the field and instead, go after guys we need now to step in and contribute.

  6. #66
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,917
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Dion Jordan is not going to be there when the Steelers pick... but they could CHOOSE to do what's necessary to move up and get a bigger impact player
    Given how badly we need a defensive impact player, not to mention a guy who could rush the QB, that should be strongly considered this year (within reasonable costs)

  7. #67
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    The fact that you can name a dozen 2-5 picks no longer with the team is exactly the problem and why we find ourselves where we are. The defense is a major problem. They don't rush the passer well and don't create turn overs. That's why we're desperate now for new playmakers.

    Back up QB is absolutely a need, but it's not a bigger need than an additional CB, WR, RB or TE. So there's no way I'd spend a 4 on a position we hope never sees the field and instead, go after guys we need now to step in and contribute.
    you have to take these guys high or you end up with dennis dixon or omar jacobs. Skins drafted RG3 and cousins in the 1st and 4th round, and cousins is probably starting for them this week. Eagles have taken kolb and foles high and they had one hell of a return on investment with foles, both RG3 and Vick are injury prone, so lets not pretend roethlisberger is the most durable guy.

    CB and TE are not huge needs, especially in the mid rounds....if they want to draft a legit impact CB they will be spenidng a 1 or 2 on him, and we have loads of mediocre TE talent in pope, johnson, and paulsen with saunders available off the streets if need be....i dont have a problem taking eifert, but heath and his posse of backups is just fine otherwise

    and after investing picks in lewis, brown, allen, and burnett we need to develop those guys into players, much to soon to give up on brown and allen like they did with burnett. Both guys have great potential, sure people are down on them after last week but watching how they respond is gonna be interesting. Having better safety play should go a long way in the secondary improving. its not an accident the secondary play was great as the backups got into a rhythm, troy has put them in a hole right now because he wont just play SS hes gotta play troy

  8. #68
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,616
    K-Train,

    We need an impact Defensive player like crazy.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  9. #69
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ban City
    Posts
    5,017
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    you have to take these guys high or you end up with dennis dixon or omar jacobs. Skins drafted RG3 and cousins in the 1st and 4th round, and cousins is probably starting for them this week. Eagles have taken kolb and foles high and they had one hell of a return on investment with foles, both RG3 and Vick are injury prone, so lets not pretend roethlisberger is the most durable guy.

    CB and TE are not huge needs, especially in the mid rounds....if they want to draft a legit impact CB they will be spenidng a 1 or 2 on him, and we have loads of mediocre TE talent in pope, johnson, and paulsen with saunders available off the streets if need be....i dont have a problem taking eifert, but heath and his posse of backups is just fine otherwise

    and after investing picks in lewis, brown, allen, and burnett we need to develop those guys into players, much to soon to give up on brown and allen like they did with burnett. Both guys have great potential, sure people are down on them after last week but watching how they respond is gonna be interesting. Having better safety play should go a long way in the secondary improving. its not an accident the secondary play was great as the backups got into a rhythm, troy has put them in a hole right now because he wont just play SS hes gotta play troy
    Agree, we don't need to invest in CB or TE in this upcoming draft.

    But I don't think we should be investing a top 5 round pick in a QB either. Far too many issues on this team for that. I believe "contenders" should have proven backups. They don't have time to develop a young QB.

    When the time comes to begin grooming Ben's eventual replacement, we need to invest a high pick in the position... but until then, don't throw away draft picks on average QB prospects, just to have someone for Ben's expected injuries... get a vet backup for that.

  10. #70
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    703
    Impact defense of Player will be there when we pick ... although it might not be Jordan ...

    Eric Reid / Matt Elam / David Amerson / Baccari Rambo / Phillip Thomas ... are all impact safeties with the ability to change the game

    with Eric Reid / Matt Elam / Davis Amerson , being borderline 1st round picks right now, but all with the ability to change a game

    Baccari Rambo / Phillip Thomas , are 2nd-3rd round guys, but both have the ability to change a game

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 MOCK DRAFT AT WEEK 8 (4ROUNDS)
    By connecticutsteel in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
  2. Early Super Bowl 2013 odds...who's got the best chance?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
  3. Is it too early to start thinking about 2013?
    By Number99 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
  4. Never too early to talk draft.
    By Dallas Burgher in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
  5. My Draft to 2013
    By scudmissile29 in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •