Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the team recreate the success of 2005?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Can the team recreate the success of 2005?

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Charlie Batch helped the Steelers beat the Ravens to improve to 7-5. The last time they were 7-5 was 2005, when they won the Super Bowl for the fifth time.The comparisons popped up not long after Shaun Suisham's 42-yard kick held true on the final play Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore that provided the Steelers with a 23-20 victory against the Ravens.

Can the Steelers repeat what they did in 2005 at this same point in the season?

They have a 7-5 record for only the second time in the 21st century. The most recent time, they would win eight in a row ending with them hoisting their fifth Lombardi Trophy after defeating the Seattle Seahawks at Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

Can they do it again? Or does that kind of magic come around only once in a lifetime?

"There's a bunch of us in here who went through that and understand what it takes to do that," said Brett Keisel, in his 11th season. "Hopefully we can lead this team down that direction. It would be great to get them in the tournament and make another run."

That run in '05 was unprecedented. The Steelers won their final four regular-season games to squeak into the playoffs as the sixth and final seed in the AFC. They then won three postseason games on the road and won the Super Bowl. No team had ever done that.

Since then, the New York Giants did it in the '07 season and the Green Bay Packers in the '10 season. The Giants came close again a year ago, but as NFC East Division champs had one home game before winning the next two on the road and then another Super Bowl.

It has become the stylish path to a Super Bowl victory. Despite the Steelers victory Sunday in Baltimore, it's a path they probably will have to take to win another because the Ravens (9-3) still have a two-game lead in the AFC North over the Steelers (7-5) with four to go.

"I'm sure they're probably going to win the division," Larry Foote said. "I can't see them losing two more games."

The Steelers are one spot (by virtue of a tiebreaker) ahead of the Cincinnati Bengals (7-5) for the second wild-card playoff spot and that could be decided when they play Dec. 23 at Heinz Field. Three of their final four games are at home, starting Sunday against San Diego.

"We have to take care of our business," Foote said. "The way this league is going, everybody's making a big deal about momentum and stuff like that. We started it in '05. We'll go on the road, no matter."

The difference between their position now and in '05 at the same point is they do not have to win their final four to make the playoffs. They can win three as long as the Bengals are among them, and perhaps even go 2-2 if they beat the Bengals.

While Foote would take the end results, he does not want to compare what they must do today to the history they made seven years ago.

"I don't mess with '05. I have that locked away in a safe. But this is big."

Ten players remain from that Super Bowl XL team, fewer than 20 percent of the 53-man roster. The advantage they have is they have gone through it and perhaps can help their teammates relate.

"We have a lot of younger guys," Foote said. "I don't know how many of us were there, 10 or 11. Our core guys, we're not going to blink. It's our job to make sure our young guys can't blink and they got to believe we can get it done.

"The Giants did it twice, the Packers. All we have to do is get a ticket and make it happen."
    Smooth Suisham

Gary Anderson had a nickname when he kicked for the Steelers for 13 seasons through '94, "Mr. Automatic." He wasn't as sure a thing, however, as Shaun Suisham has been this season.

Suisham made all three of his field-goal attempts again Sunday, all from beyond 40 yards including the 42-yard winner with no time left.

He has made 24 of his 25 field-goal attempts. His only miss came from 54 yards in Tennessee, an ill-advised try that otherwise makes him perfect for the season.

His kick in Baltimore was his third on the final play of the game this season. His 34-yard field goal with no time left to beat the Eagles, 16-14, and his 23-yarder beat the Chiefs in overtime.

No Steelers kicker has had a perfect season and because of that 54-yard try that came up short in Tennessee, Suisham will not either. But his .960 success rate would set a Steelers record currently co-held by him and Anderson, who made 93.3 percent of his kicks (28 of 30) in '93. Suisham made 14 of 15 after he was signed in the middle of the 2010 season to replace Jeff Reed.

Right now he is the most accurate career kicker in Steelers history, having made 61 of 71 field-goal tries for an .859 percentage, topping Norm Johnson's .827.
    Beachum sparkles

With third-string quarterback Charlie Batch at the helm -- has anyone mentioned he'll turn 38 Wednesday -- and three-fifths of the offensive line shuffled, things were not looking up for the offense Sunday in Baltimore.

Hadn't the Ravens savaged the Steelers line two weeks earlier in Heinz Field? How would they do with new starters at three different positions? Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey played left guard, which thrust backup center Doug Legursky into a starting role. And the Steelers dug down to their No. 3 starting right tackle, their fourth seventh-round pick, rookie Kelvin Beachum, making his first NFL start.

Terrell Suggs, Paul Kruger, Haloti Ngata and Co. had to be licking their chops.

But there were just two sacks of Batch, at least one a coverage sack, no holding penalties and plenty of time Sunday for the old quarterback to find his targets.

The focus was on Beachum because of his lack of experience and pedigree as the 248th overall draft pick this year. He started four seasons, 52 games, at SMU -- all at left tackle. The Steelers drafted him to be a guard because he is only 6 feet 3, but their need Sunday came at right tackle.

"I think he played huge in a big-time game," said tackle-turned-guard Willie Colon, who missed his second consecutive game with a knee injury. "No holding calls, no sacks, no false starts. He's a four-year guy. He really showed his worth to this organization.

"The whole week I was telling him, 'You'll play great.' He played his tail off. My first game, I got my tail kicked. He stood up."
    Clark honored

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2E8or2mlm

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    ive heard this like 6 times today... TV and online... im already tired of it. I like it better when we are doubted!
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Still lots of doubt but it makes for interesting talk. You have to admit we are starting to get healthy now ,and with Ben actually having more time with Haley's system ,being more comfortable with it,the offense was really getting exciting. The defense has been playing lights out for awhile and defense does win championships... while I never rule the STEELERS out, yep I'm a homer, it does make the rest of the season more interesting.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Addicted
    05 wasn't just success. It was magic.

My Mood
    Patriotic
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    05 wasn't just success. It was magic.
    I agree, Giants and Packers don't hold a candle to what that Steeler team did in 2005 by being the first team in the history of the NFL to do it the hard way.

Peak at the right time, get healthy at the right time, and have a play or two go your way - anything is possible. One play at a time, one game at a time, Steelers got this.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    There will never be another team like that 2005 team.......That is really a special team to me.......Winning three straight road games in the play-offs and then winning the Super Bowl was awesome......Plus it was the first Super Bowl win I experienced as a Steelers fan and really I could finally put Super Bowl XXX to rest......lol All those years before 2005 I had to hear from my Grandfather, father, Uncles, about the 70s Steelers and how they always said these teams will never be like those 70s teams and blah blah blah.......Don't get me wrong I respect greatly what those 70s teams accomplished and the legacy they left behind but it was finally nice to have a Super Steelers team of my own especially after all those let downs in AFC title games and Super Bowl XXX......

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    There will never be another team like that 2005 team.......That is really a special team to me.......Winning three straight road games in the play-offs and then winning the Super Bowl was awesome......Plus it was the first Super Bowl win I experienced as a Steelers fan and really I could finally put Super Bowl XXX to rest......lol All those years before 2005 I had to hear from my Grandfather, father, Uncles, about the 70s Steelers and how they always said these teams will never be like those 70s teams and blah blah blah.......Don't get me wrong I respect greatly what those 70s teams accomplished and the legacy they left behind but it was finally nice to have a Super Steelers team of my own especially after all those let downs in AFC title games and Super Bowl XXX......
    Not once but, twice.

And their fans.

My Mood
    colts-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I agree man I am probably right around the same age as you dude in my early to mid 30's and to finally see this team get over the hump the way it did in 2005 was truly something being a diehard Steelers fan I will always remember and will always cherish. There are a lot of similarities between that team and this team this season the way it battled back from adveristy in mid to late November and then finally got on a roll in December and rolled from a 7-5 record. I think this team this year is certainly capable of doing the exact samething...

The Bettis storyline in that 05' run was just awe inspiring. Nothing will ever compare to that.

But yes, if we get healthy and hot, the sky is the limit for this years team. It just seems like we continue to get one key player back, and then lose another. Like someone will return, and another starter says "Okay, my turn to get hurt!"
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Thread Information