Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you like "the old man" now?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    At the start of the year, he was too vanilla in his schemes and way to predictable. We haven't seen that stuff since the Tennessee debacle though. He has been calling great games, disguising schemes and changing things up.

I'm not quick to credit Lake though. He has also done a good job, but these DB's catch like they're wearing oven mitts. They have to get their heads turned around sooner and look for the ball sooner so they can make a play. Steelers have had plenty of INT chances, but it seems like the defenders are a second late looking for the ball - especially on fade routes.

All in all, the defense is playing "A-" football. Would be "A+" if there were more turnovers.
    Bingo.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Rookie Free Agent

How do you like "the old man" now?

The old man never let's you down in the grand scheme of things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I think they are playing significantly more M2M and Press since Tennessee... and I'm inclined to believe it's at Tomlin's insistence.
    Of course that's what you're inclined to believe. You're one of the LeBeau haters who now looks like a moron. "The only problem I have with Tomlin is that he won't fire a hall of famer." I'm sure you knew plenty of defensive coordinators to replace the ineffective LeBeau who could've ended up with a better defense than what we have now.

I'm inclined to believe that replacing ineffective players on defense with effective players has made what has previously worked for Lebeau start working again.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    I love Charlies experience and calm. I just hate to see the 40 yard rainbows that leave the stadium and come back down with moisture from the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I love Charlies experience and calm. I just hate to see the 40 yard rainbows that leave the stadium and come back down with moisture from the clouds
    If he is going to take shots downfield like that, then he needs to get rid of the ball much sooner and let the speed run under it.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Of course that's what you're inclined to believe. You're one of the LeBeau haters who now looks like a moron. "The only problem I have with Tomlin is that he won't fire a hall of famer." I'm sure you knew plenty of defensive coordinators to replace the ineffective LeBeau who could've ended up with a better defense than what we have now.

I'm inclined to believe that replacing ineffective players on defense with effective players has made what has previously worked for Lebeau start working again.
    Lebeau had played little to no Man 2 Man for most of his career as a coordinator. Since the Green Bay Super Bowl loss, in which his zone schemes were systematically picked apart, the Steelers have played a lot more M2M. This has been both good (see victory over New England last year), and bad (see playoff loss to Denver).

But, regardless, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Tomlin has had his say in the shift to more M2M and more press coverage. Do you deny that?

Which ineffective players were replaced?

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Batch has to do it again. Then I'll be really impressed.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

wrong old man, they are talking about the older one

Lebeau's defense is still stale and predictable and will get completely carved up by spread offenses. (NE, Den, GB, NO)

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowned View Post
    Lebeau's defense is still stale and predictable and will get completely carved up by spread offenses. (NE, Den, GB, NO)
    Kinda off target when you are talking about the best D coordinator EVER, and the best D in the league this year.
    Especially when ESPN has been gushing this week about how difficult it is to know what the Steelers are doing when most of the front seven are standing up.
    Last edited by Stone; 12-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Thread Information