Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Should Steelers Rest Ben, Start Batch vs. Reeling Chargers?

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I don't think we need Ben. The Chargers turn the ball over a ton. And we will be able to run the ball.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I don't think we need Ben. The Chargers turn the ball over a ton. And we will be able to run the ball.
    If Ben is medically cleared and can make all the throws then he plays.....But I agree the Steelers can beat the Chargers with Old Man Charlie......The Chargers are on the verge of mailing it in and Norv Turner is lame duck coach at this point....Plus their OL is in shambles.....Working out guys off the street to make sure they have enough OL to dress on Sunday....lol

My Mood
    Mellow
    Some questions to consider:
    1) is Ben totally healthy, and I mean healthy enough that it wouldn't do him more harm in the long run to play him?
    2) if Charlie plays, does that keep the intensity up on the team so they don't play down to their competition like they normally do?
    3) do the charger suck it up and put one last tough game together with a nothing to lose metality?

This game makes me nervous. If Ben plays the team could feel like they are automatically going to win, then a chiefs performance shows up. Or does it inspire the team to go out and crush SD?

I want to see Ben out there. But only if he's ready to play.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Rookie Free Agent

Should Steelers Rest Ben, Start Batch vs. Reeling Chargers?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    The Steelers just don't accumulate very many turnovers forced.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    To be fair here the Ravens D that Charlie faced was their worst defense in years.........
    Agreed, but the point is that Ben has won a lot of games where his numbers were far south of Batch's, even in the Super Bowl. Yet, I hear very few comments from people saying they won "in spite of" Ben. If we look at Charlie's performance fairly, he played better than anyone has the right to expect.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

I want Ben on the field, but I am confident we good drop the Bolts with good ol' Charlie.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Agreed, but the point is that Ben has won a lot of games where his numbers were far south of Batch's, even in the Super Bowl. Yet, I hear very few comments from people saying they won "in spite of" Ben. If we look at Charlie's performance fairly, he played better than anyone has the right to expect.
    Charlie missed some throws but he made a bunch to win that game (especially on the final drive) so I agree with you the Steelers won in spite of Batch is wrong............

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    You would think that if Batch gets the majority of reps this week, he'll be better then last week. And that would be good enough for him to lead us to victory over the Chargers.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

CHargers are pretty stout against the run, averaging 94 YPG. It doesn't mean the Steelers won't have success here, but they will truly need to have success throwing the ball in order to loosen up the run defense - especially if Ben does not play.

If ben plays and the Steelers are up by double digits heading into the 4th quarter, Ben comes out.

Oh and for the record, Barron Batch was released but recently signed to the practice squad.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatsSteeler View Post
    Errr As I said they won in spite of Batch at the helm....errrr maybe you missed the Browns debacle errrr or the mistakes he made in the Ravens game...errrr or maybe you just like to talk like a Pirate ERrrrr........
    "Er": is a Jim Rome Rome reference; pirates use "ahrrr," not "er." Re Batch, yes, I saw the Cleveland debacle. when your backs constantly fumble it's hard to do anything. Plus, could you give 'ol charlie a little break. His 2nd game was a dramatic improvement. Do we really know that it's very tough to come off the bench and play QB in the NFL?
    STEELSPIKES

Thread Information