Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could we not have just picked up a free agent QB while Ben is out?

Bookmark and Share
    Starter
    My Mood
    Angry
    vince young? really? hes a headcase and commands a large salary. you see him play vs steelers in preseason?
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    we did pick up a QB... hoyer... held the clip board great today, only fumbled it once
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Great. Let's spend a top 4 round draft pick on another team's QB of the future. Wouldn't it just be easier to give away the draft pick and not waste all the time training him so he can leave in four years as a FA when Ben is still on front of him?

Until Ben hits that "retire in the next 4 years" window, it is a waste of a pick.
    Waste of pick oh ok....lol Like it would have been a waste say if the Steelers had draft a QB in the 4th round of the 2010 draft instead of Thaddeus Gibson?.....Looks like Gibson was a waste of a pick anyway........The Steelers need to invest a draft pick in a backup QB....If the QB shows he is a player then the Steelers could always trade him before he becomes a FA.......I'm sorry I'm tired of seeing Batch and Lefty as the backups......The Steelers did try with Dennis Dixon but he didn't pan out but next year yea the Steelers should maybe draft a QB in round 3 or 4....If Wallace is lost in free agency the Steelers will get an extra draft pick for Wallace.....

Could we not have just picked up a free agent QB while Ben is out?

Ryan Mallet was drafted in the 3rd round a few years back, we need a pick like that ASAP!

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    Yes, a QB SHOULD be drafted in the fourth round. That would be a good spot.
    This coming draft doesn't have the great QB's but a shitload of decent ones.
    No reason we couldn't pick one up to groom as the backup. This should have been
    done before it has came down to the Lefty/Batch comedy show. Any sane Steeler
    fan KNOWS this as fact!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Waste of pick oh ok....lol Like it would have been a waste say if the Steelers had draft a QB in the 4th round of the 2010 draft instead of Thaddeus Gibson?.....Looks like Gibson was a waste of a pick anyway........The Steelers need to invest a draft pick in a backup QB....If the QB shows he is a player then the Steelers could always trade him before he becomes a FA.......I'm sorry I'm tired of seeing Batch and Lefty as the backups......The Steelers did try with Dennis Dixon but he didn't pan out but next year yea the Steelers should maybe draft a QB in round 3 or 4....If Wallace is lost in free agency the Steelers will get an extra draft pick for Wallace.....
    Silly logic. As if a fourth round QB would have less chance of being a bust than Gibson.

You say "if the QB shows he is a player". How would he get the opportunity behind a franchise QB? You would be putting in a guy next week against the Ravens that has virtually no real NFL snaps and probably would not even have any significant practice snaps since Latrobe. That is a recipe for success?

Being a young backup QB behind a franchise QB is a career killer. Ask Brian Hoyer. He is now lucky to get a week 12 job with the Steelers. The reason is because he had no opportunity to develop. Nor do you get much in the way of draft picks for a backup who does not play. A team with a franchise QB is much better off with a veteran who can step right in and run the team at least until the franchise QB is getting close to retirement or if the team sucks. I suspect there is not a coach in the league that would want to play Kirk Cousins (a 4th round pick who has not played this year except when RGIII was concussed) over Lefty next week against the Ravens or in a playoff game.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Ryan Mallet was drafted in the 3rd round a few years back, we need a pick like that ASAP!
    I was so pissed that we didn't get him...

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Not according to TarlsQtr its silly logic....lol Yea that vet experience is really paying off these past two weeks....lol Again I repeat the Steelers will get an extra pick for losing Mike Wallace in free agency....He won't resigned and I doubt the Steelers will franchise him now....Use that extra third round pick on a young QB........

Matt Flynn was traded to the Seahawks and he didn't receive much playing time behind Rodgers.......The Steelers backup probably will receive playing time since Ben will probably miss a game or two a season....which is his norm......

I doubt any of those guys could of done much worse than Batch

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    we did pick up a QB... hoyer... held the clip board great today, only fumbled it once
    Yes, holding the clipboard is an essential duty of a Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback. Makes you wonder why Batch and Leftwich were kept on the roster all of these years. The Niners have Kaepernick and we have those guys.

Thread Information