Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's not dance around the one issue with the defense...

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick

Let's not dance around the one issue with the defense...

First, let me say that this Steeler defense is a few leagues better than the defense we saw against Oakland and Tennessee. Specifically, I think Keenan Lewis is getting better each week and Lawrence Timmons is in beast mode.

But, and this is a very important but......

Yinz Stiller fans should know that a championship defense makes splash plays and gives its offense a short field. Being ranked number 1 as far as yardage goes is great, but as we learned last year, it's not enough. The offense is ranked a mediocre 17th in scoring. While I'm not saying that's all on the defense, don't you think some turnovers and shorter fields more often would allow the Steelers to score more? Yes, Troy is hurt. But there are 31 other teams that don't have a Troy Polamalu.

Again, I'm not saying this defense is bad, but the Steelers will not get to where yinz want them to go if the defense is unable to make splash plays more often than it currently is.

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Defense has been lacking in the turnover department since last year.and last week seemed we started at the 10 yardline every drive.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

This is not a suprise at all. lmfao.

I would love for the Steelers to get "splash plays" sacks and turnovers: but these Steelers defense have be without the three player healthy that provides those play on the field at the same time for almost 1-1-/2 years.
    Even through Harrison is on the field, He ISN'T the same person we was 2-3 year ago.
    Woodley was out MOST of last year and missed some games this year. And Robin is learning to become Batman
    And Troy as played a total of 5 quarters of football this season: enough said.

But how many "splash plays" did N.E. defense make last year: Splash play help a strungling offense, but if the I would take this defense any day of the year once Ben is healthy again.

We need a killer OLB to replace James. Or 92 needs to try some other tactics to get to the QB. He does hold the run game down just fine.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Harrison, not himself due to knee injury.
    Troy out virtually all season
    Do not underestimate the loss of Aaron Smith either. The DL has been the bedrock of this team for a decade and he took up blockers that now get to our LBs.

I agree that this is a glaring weakness on D. Health could correct some of the problem.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    We need a killer OLB to replace James. Or 92 needs to try some other tactics to get to the QB. He does hold the run game down just fine.
    John Simon, LB, #54, Thee Ohio State University

My Mood
    Frustrated

Let's not dance around the one issue with the defense...

A few years back this defense was forcing turnovers left and right...now we are lucky to get 1 a game. A lot it has to do with Troy not being out there I think.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk app

I don't think our LBer's are getting their licks in. The OLB's especially. A lot of the turnovers were strip sacks, etc. No pressure = no turnovers. Second man to the ball, whoever it is, needs to be thinking about dislodging the ball.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKandGOLD View Post
    A few years back this defense was forcing turnovers left and right...now we are lucky to get 1 a game. A lot it has to do with Troy not being out there I think.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk app
    Troy was healthy most of last year and the turnovers still didn't happen. Most of the problems start up front.

Thread Information