Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Brian Hoyer and Plaxico Burress; release LB Marshall McFadden and RB Baron Batch

Bookmark and Share

Steelers sign Brian Hoyer and Plaxico Burress; release LB Marshall McFadden and RB Baron Batch

It's official. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich won't be on the field Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters Tuesday that Ben Roethlisberger's backup has been ruled out with multiple rib fractures. Tomlin also ruled out receiver Jerricho Cotchery with the same injury.

Word on Leftwich comes as little surprise and the Steelers had already begun preparing 37-year-old Charlie Batch for the start, NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported Monday, citing a source with direct knowledge of the team's plans.

Batch has the confidence of coaches, but the Steelers, as expected, are exploring all options.

The Steelers plan to sign quarterback Brian Hoyer, a source close to the player told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Tomlin had earlier confirmed the team worked out passers Mike Kafka and Hoyer, along with wideouts Plaxico Burress and Derrick Williams.

Tomlin listed Big Ben's status as doubtful for Cleveland, but that is generous. Roethlisberger won't face the Browns and the Steelers are planning for his absence to possibly stretch on well beyond Week 12. Tomlin and the Steelers are doing what they can to patch up that hole on an offense that remains a shell of what it was until their quarterback returns.

UPDATE: Both Hoyer and Plax are signed to deals as of this afternoon.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 11-20-2012 at 02:30 PM.

My Mood
    Mellow
    they better get hoyer up to speed and quickly!!! and mike kafka should be on speed dial to be hoyer's back-up once charlie batch gets injured. it's not if, it's when...
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

@AdamSchefter: Along with Plaxico Burress, Steelers also signed Brian Hoyer as their backup QB.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    It's official. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich won't be on the field Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters Tuesday that Ben Roethlisberger's backup has been ruled out with multiple rib fractures. Tomlin also ruled out receiver Jerricho Cotchery with the same injury.

Word on Leftwich comes as little surprise and the Steelers had already begun preparing 37-year-old Charlie Batch for the start, NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported Monday, citing a source with direct knowledge of the team's plans.

Batch has the confidence of coaches, but the Steelers, as expected, are exploring all options.

The Steelers plan to sign quarterback Brian Hoyer, a source close to the player told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Tomlin had earlier confirmed the team worked out passers Mike Kafka and Hoyer, along with wideouts Plaxico Burress and Derrick Williams.

Tomlin listed Big Ben's status as doubtful for Cleveland, but that is generous. Roethlisberger won't face the Browns and the Steelers are planning for his absence to possibly stretch on well beyond Week 12. Tomlin and the Steelers are doing what they can to patch up that hole on an offense that remains a shell of what it was until their quarterback returns.
    I hope they don't even try that. If we can't beat the Browns without Ben we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    God help us if Hoyer has to come in and play for any length of time. Hoyer Bio and Stats

As far as Plax goes, he's going to take over Cotchery's role. He's not going to get a ton of looks every week generally speaking. His best chance is redzone or jump balls down the sideline I would imagine. If AB comes back this week we won't see Plax much at all. If he doesn't then Plax could get a few more passes his way.

My Mood
    Manic
    Hoyer isn't bad at all better than Casssell

@EdBouchette: In bit of surprise #steelers release Baron Batch. Also McFadden

Steelers sign Brian Hoyer and Plaxico Burress

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    @EdBouchette: In bit of surprise #steelers release Baron Batch. Also McFadden
    Really? Odd about Batch and not Lefty.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Steelers sign Brian Hoyer and Plaxico Burress

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    God help us if Hoyer has to come in and play for any length of time. Hoyer Bio and Stats

As far as Plax goes, he's going to take over Cotchery's role. He's not going to get a ton of looks every week generally speaking. His best chance is redzone or jump balls down the sideline I would imagine. If AB comes back this week we won't see Plax much at all. If he doesn't then Plax could get a few more passes his way.
    I'm betting Leftwich didn't have great stats but we stuck with him. Lol
    Last edited by LatrobePA; 11-20-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Can't say I saw the Batch move coming. Considering the state of the RB's with injuries I would have called Van Dyke being cut since he's been inactive the last 2 weeks.

Thread Information