Thread: Nice to have an OC that adapts his offense to his players

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Nice to have an OC that adapts his offense to his players

Haley isn't just going to throw Leftwich into the fire without making some changes to the offense to suit his strengths. How much change remains to be seen but at least he's got the ability to adapt to the players and not just say "here go run this".

Todd Haley said he won't just plug Byron Leftwich into injured Ben Roethlisberger's spot and carry on as usual. The offense will have to adapt to Leftwich rather than the other way around.

"Byron is not Ben, and I think it's very important that we and he understand that," Haley said after practice Thursday. "He can't go out there trying to be Ben; he needs to go out there and be Byron.

"This is why I make the point every time you all say 'Haley's offense,' it's not my offense. We're going to do things to cater to the strength of our players. Obviously, that will be critical when you talk about the quarterback position. We're going to cater to Byron's strengths, as opposed to trying to force square pegs into round holes, so to speak."

How refreshing must that be in the executive offices? They've had coordinators in the past who frustrated them by forcing their offense's schemes down their players throats no matter what happened -- different quarterback, new running backs, different types of offensive linemen.

But Haley has shown throughout his career that he adapts to his personnel, most strikingly so when he left his high-flying passing machine in Arizona to a ground-oriented offense in Kansas City.

Now he is presented with the loss of one of the NFL's most elite and versatile quarterbacks, to one who has little mobility but a rifle arm and something else Haley tried to explain about Leftwich.

"I think there is a lot to like about him. ... First and foremost, when you're around Byron for a very short time, you understand that he's just got that it factor. Everybody remembers when he was coming out [at Marshall University] and his team was carrying him down the field with his leg dangling from the knee joint. That isn't something everybody has, but he has it.

"When things occurred in the game last week, there was a great look in his eye. There was never a moment that you really didn't believe and think he was a cool customer. He's been there and done it and he's just got that moxie that good quarterbacks seem to have."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2COcmqJdK

Nice to have an OC that adapts his offense to his players

Show me what you got what you got lefty!

How much can they tinker and tailor in a week though?
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's nice to have a REAL OC who understands the game...

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but also heard on talk radio Tuesday AM that the Steelers offensive players said the KC defense knew what they were going to do because of their familiarity with Haley's plays. Apparently they were yelling out things before the plays that lead them to that conclusion. This is all just hearsay so I have no idea as to the validity of this claim (a) whether it was actually said by the players or (b) if it was, is it possibly true.

Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    Don't know if this has been mentioned, but also heard on talk radio Tuesday AM that the Steelers offensive players said the KC defense knew what they were going to do because of their familiarity with Haley's plays. Apparently they were yelling out things before the plays that lead them to that conclusion. This is all just hearsay so I have no idea as to the validity of this claim (a) whether it was actually said by the players or (b) if it was, is it possibly true.
    It looked a bit like an offensive BA day... So that makes sense ... everyone did know the play call...

Thread Information