Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key's to beating the Browns with Charlie Batch as the QB

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Key's to beating the Browns with Charlie Batch as the QB

If there's one thing we know about Batch, he's a good game manager and is more than capable of running this offense. If you're going to win with Batch though, it's not going to be 350 yds and 3 TD's. It's going to be running the ball, play action, short passes, roll outs to avoid pressure and get rid of the ball quickly.

There's no way he can extend plays like Ben can or avoid a sack with a 320 lb lineman hanging off his shoulder. The OL has to absolutely above all else not allow pressure to get through.

Whatever combination of Dwyer, Mendy, and Redman they choose to go with better have a good game; I'm talking 150 yds rushing as a team at least. We know we can power rush any defense in the league right now and the Browns are 24th against the run. If Haley just sticks to it and doesn't go hog wild throwing the ball all over creation this "should" be a win.

The Browns are all but holding open tryouts for cornerbacks now so if Batch has time to get it down field then Wallace and Sanders should be able to find soft spots; same with Heath if they can pull him away from Mike Adams' side.

As long as we are done with this Leftwich project im all in... Batch will not win this game thats for sure.

We need to win this one. 10-3

Defense in no way shape or form can allow POS Weeden to make plays. He's worse than lefty!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I think you guys are being a bit too hard on batch. May I submit to you the game against Tampa Bay two years ago? Batch hit Wallace on a deep TD pass and threw a couple of more big passes too.

I don't expect too much from Batch but if Wallace gets behind the secondary, Batch can make that connection..unlike Lefty. But if Batch can atleast hit his intermediate passes, he'll be light years ahead of Lefty and that will keep the chains moving.

But we do need to feature Dwyer and Mendy a whole lot. Make that play-action pass as lethal as possible. The more we run, the better we protect Batch.

Steelers 20
    Browns 9
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    steelers d usually beats up on rookie qbs.We just need to not make mental errors and special teams breakdowns (they have cribbs). I don't expect Browns to do much vs our defense. Browns d was playing well. Lets not turn the ball over.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

PROTECT CHARLIE OLINE!!! Who are these guys on the line? They play good one week, then take a **** the following.

Steelers need to make sure they don't surrender any "non-offensive" TD's (Special teams, pick 6's). LeBeau needs to put a stamp on Weedens hind parts the way he has with every other rookie he has called a game against. This game comes down to the defense; no splash plays, gang tackle, 1st guy stand him up, the rest strip the ball. DB's, if you can get your hands on the ball catch it. Offensively, PATIENCE IS THE KEY!!!!!!!!! There will likely be no splash plays, but more 4 and 5 yard runs and "dink and dunk" passing. it is up to the lineman to keep Batch upright and give him time to throw. Cleveland plays a similar defense to the Ravens, but are very undisciplined. They have nothing to lose and would love nothing more than to end our hopes of a playoff run. Don't push/punch back - walk away. No drive continuing penalties on defense or field position killing penalties on specials. I know I'm jumping all over the place here, but it is clearly going to take a team effort to win the game this week. Cleveland is better than their record and this is a division game so the Steelers can't come in flat and expect to win.

Steelers 16-10.

Win the turnover battle
    Play disciplined
    No stupid penalties-facemask,roughing the qb etc
    Run the ball
    When we get to the browns 35-40, no end arounds.

Don't overdo the RB by committee approach. I was expecting them to start calling people out of the stands.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Regarding the running part of the game plan, in order to be successful, the Steelers will likely have to beat the run blitzes on first and second down and also run out of a 3 WR set, using Miller as a lead blocker. Key to winning 3rd down with Batch or any QB is to limit down and distance.

I for one, am looking for a big game from Rainey in the return department.

Thread Information