View Poll Results: Need or Best Available

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take what we need as soon as we can get it

8 42.11%
  • Take the best guy available no matter what the position

6 31.58%
  • Who cares just get us some Day 2 picks that actually make the team and contribute !

6 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need or Best Available ?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    But if you're dead set on taking a certain position and all the top talent from that position is gone then you're reaching. I don't like that at all. The Steelers did that in 1999 in the first round with Troy Edwards. They needed a WR and were dead set on drafting one and they reached. When they could have traded down to get more picks and still draft Troy Edwards.

I think the Steelers need a pass rusher at OLB. But say if all the top guys are gone then drafting say an Adam Carriker would be wise or a top Olineman.
    Troy Edwards a was major reach, so was other players like for example Scott Shields too. We took him in Round 2 I believe and he was a bust but Cowher thought he was a great guy so he snagged him. If you absolutely have to have a certain position because you need it, then you have to find a way to get one of the guys you want whether that means trading up like we did for Polamalu because you know he's pretty much a sure thing, but that usually on works on day 1 and even then that's not guaranteed. So you're other option is wait for another less sure prospect to drop into a later round and then see what you can get in the FA market. Reaching for players is a major risk in most any round because you really never know but that's why teams have so many guys going around and scouting college players all the time to try and get that edge.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Yes Top, Shields was a 2nd round pick. That was another wasted pick. I just don't want to see anymore wasted picks.

1st or second round we need an olb, after that we dont have gaping holes. but we should draft sepulveda to be our franchise punter lol

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    First day.....OLB/DE and OL. Definitely get what we need and then go from there depending whats there. No reaches dammit...quality quality quality especially in day 2!!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Reaching is not something that Tomlin needs to think about doing at all especially this being his first draft and us coming off a sub par season.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Plus when you start thinking about some of the players ages on defense the whole Dline and LB core is starting to age.

Gold Standard

Needs on day1, Wants on day 2

Gotta address needs first or else your perceived weaknesses remain unchanged going into the season. Lets face it rooks don't play a lot anyway so your draft needs are hopefully addressing perceived needs of the future. The teams that are drafting need players who they must start, those are teams in some trouble! Second day draft picks can be wants and projects. I would like to see us pick up that franchise punter. Daniel Sepulveda can get a foot on the ball! It might be funny but some of those old time Raiders know what a great punter can do for your special teams (Ray Guy). Great punts can be momentum changers!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I voted for the best player available...however, if it is really in an area we don't need to address then, I say take the best in what we need. They didn't give me that option!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Thread Information