View Poll Results: Need or Best Available

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take what we need as soon as we can get it

8 42.11%
  • Take the best guy available no matter what the position

6 31.58%
  • Who cares just get us some Day 2 picks that actually make the team and contribute !

6 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need or Best Available ?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Need or Best Available ?

In the past the Steelers have usually taken the strategy of drafting for what we need and taking the best player they can get to fill that need first, and then going for the "best available" usually on day 2 for the most part.

Since Colbert is still on staff and has a big influence in who we pick ; I wonder how much of a difference we'll see in draft strategy this April, if any difference at all...

What's you're take, Best available or draft for need ?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    in the first 2 rounds i really want us to take what we need, however, i don't want us to reach in the second round just cause we kinda need it....... so after the first round i say best available player there
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    "Best player available" is just to general to me. I've always said take the best player for what you need. There are different ways of going about that. Most of it depends on where you pick, how many picks you have and where your need is.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ive always though that on Day 1 you take what you need first unless there is no good candidate worthy of the round you're in so you don't reach for a guy like Koopa mentioned; in which case you wait for him to drop hopefully or take another position of need in that round.

On Day 2 it's all about finding the best guys you can to fill your depth areas of need first, then if you still have picks left just take the best guys you can find.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Ive always though that on Day 1 you take what you need first unless there is no good candidate worthy of the round you're in so you don't reach for a guy like Koopa mentioned; in which case you wait for him to drop hopefully or take another position of need in that round.

On Day 2 it's all about finding the best guys you can to fill your depth areas of need first, then if you still have picks left just take the best guys you can find.
    I can agree with that.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    But if you're dead set on taking a certain position and all the top talent from that position is gone then you're reaching. I don't like that at all. The Steelers did that in 1999 in the first round with Troy Edwards. They needed a WR and were dead set on drafting one and they reached. When they could have traded down to get more picks and still draft Troy Edwards.

I think the Steelers need a pass rusher at OLB. But say if all the top guys are gone then drafting say an Adam Carriker would be wise or a top Olineman.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    But if you're dead set on taking a certain position and all the top talent from that position is gone then you're reaching. I don't like that at all. The Steelers did that in 1999 in the first round with Troy Edwards. They needed a WR and were dead set on drafting one and they reached. When they could have traded down to get more picks and still draft Troy Edwards.

I think the Steelers need a pass rusher at OLB. But say if all the top guys are gone then drafting say an Adam Carriker would be wise or a top Olineman.
    Troy Edwards a was major reach, so was other players like for example Scott Shields too. We took him in Round 2 I believe and he was a bust but Cowher thought he was a great guy so he snagged him. If you absolutely have to have a certain position because you need it, then you have to find a way to get one of the guys you want whether that means trading up like we did for Polamalu because you know he's pretty much a sure thing, but that usually on works on day 1 and even then that's not guaranteed. So you're other option is wait for another less sure prospect to drop into a later round and then see what you can get in the FA market. Reaching for players is a major risk in most any round because you really never know but that's why teams have so many guys going around and scouting college players all the time to try and get that edge.

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    I love this thread. Good post I went with best available.

Reppin' 724
    I agree with koop, although I think there is so much talent where we need it in this draft, that there really isn't much of a reach on day 1. Day 2 go with best available, but fill the needs.

First round picks are more often than not overrated and over paid! I say 'Who cares just get us some Day 2 picks that actually make the team and contribute!'

Thread Information