Thread: Steelers support Roethlisberger for MVP

Bookmark and Share

Steelers support Roethlisberger for MVP

The list of potential MVP candidates contains a handful of names. Matt Ryan. Peyton Manning. Aaron Rodgers. J.J. Watt. Some are suggesting that Andrew Luck could get some votes.

But what about the guy who has as many Super Bowl rings than those five players combined?

The Steelers are making a push for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to get MVP consideration, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

“He should be a candidate,” backup quarterback Byron Leftwich told Bouchette. "The fact he was not listed [as one of five candidates by ESPN] is ridiculous. He’s one of the elite; ’7′ can play the game of football, and he’s playing at a very high level.”

“He’s a big-time leader, a big-time competitor, a fourth-quarter killer,” Mike Wallace said. “He’s the toughest quarterback in the league. . . . He picked up the new offense really fast. I feel it’s time he gets the recognition he deserves.”

The other side of the ball agrees.

“He’s a big reason why we’ve been in games and why we feel we can win any game,” defensive end Brett Keisel said. “That’s why we feel we can go to the Super Bowl every year, because we have a championship-type quarterback.”

Leftwich thinks that Roethlisberger’s somewhat unconventional style is hurting him when it comes to getting praise.

“He’s a very unique football player, and I think sometimes by him being unique and the style he plays, he doesn’t get enough credit for all the things he does right,” Leftwich said. “He doesn’t play the way people perceive the quarterback position to play.”

“Sometimes he doesn’t get mentioned with the elite quarterbacks for one reason or another,” Keisel said. “We in this locker room consider him the best.”

It’s unclear why Roethlisberger isn’t getting more notice or consideration for the league’s top individual award. Past accounts of boorish behavior — and allegations of criminal misconduct — have made it hard for him to enjoy a great reputation among fans and the media. The “drama queen” perception doesn’t help, either.

But Keisel and Leftwich and Wallace are right. The guy can play. And he’s playing as well as ever. When it’s time for the votes to be cast, here’s hoping folks set aside factors unrelated to his performance this season.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...erger-for-mvp/
    Last edited by Big T; 11-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well it would be awesome for Ben to win MVP but I think its still going to go to Rodgers or Peyton Manning.......Can't forget Matt Ryan either.....

I agree with B&G. He's probably in 4th at this point of the year.

Does what ESPN think even matter? Who votes on the MVP?
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Rookie Free Agent
    Byron and Brett got it right. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he is not the 'mold' of what years and years of NFL has glamorized as a quarterback. The 'prolific' passer image that is so attached to players like Montana, Manning, and Brady.

In my opinion Ben has never enjoyed the type of protection those players have had throughout their careers giving them more chances to 'pass' their way to elite status. Ben can make those same throws and more if he had the protection which we are seeing this year. From my point of view he is more elite then the others because he never lets pressure get into his head. Pocket collapsing, no problem. Monster hit laying him out for a play or two? No problem. He just keeps going.

Take Brady for example. Is the guy elite? Yes but what happens when he has constant pressure? He turns into a little school girl. Look at the two Superbowl losses to the Giants. The Giants D was in his face both games and guess what, he becomes your average quarterback.

Manning, same thing but perhaps not as drastic as Brady. Rivers perhaps could be considered as a warrior under pressure but that guys problem is he needs mood stabilizers. Him and Cutler could share the same bottle.

Manning and Brady, OK, these guys are your picture perfect clean cut guys, do everything right off the field and yeah, I am sure Ben's past has a lot to do with it too but as much as I have sat back and thought what an idiot he has been in the past, I never bought into all the negative hype the media reported. To me, he was simply someone who was slow to grow up.

He is changing on and off the field in front of our eyes and no matter what, it will take time. Most of the media will not report the progress because it's a feel good story about someone who is learning from his mistakes. That doesn't sell. Stinky smelly bullshit sells as that is what the society we live in today craves.

To me, Ben is the best QB in the league and not because I bleed back and gold. He can do it all. He doesn't need no damn title to be MVP. He already is among his brothers on the field and I believe he knows it and is all that matters to him.

The society, the media may not reward him for his life progression but I am until he proves me wrong.

Ben Roethlisberger will never win any awards that the fans or the media are allowed to vote for.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

Thread Information