Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't care what anybody says, the Steel Curtain was the best

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I just wish the game was allowed to be played today like it was then!

Our guys today have been almost neutered. They can't get away with ANYthing now. It's just great to be able to see all the hard hitting, bone crushing, teeth jarring action on film! If our guys even touch the opposing QB's sock it gets us a stiff penalty

I know it's still not "easy", (there's still some decent hits) but compared to back then, it sure doesn't seem the same.

Although i wasnt alive to seee those days, i saw them n film, which was rather expensive, and i have to agree. What they did will never ever be re-done. I hear all the time that the defense wins championships. Well i think the person that said that must have seen those guys play. They royally kicked *** then steam rolled it after they were done kicking them.
    I hope i live to see that come back, but i doubt i will ever see it in my life time. i love being a steelers fan!
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    I just wish the game was allowed to be played today like it was then!

Our guys today have been almost neutered. They can't get away with ANYthing now. It's just great to be able to see all the hard hitting, bone crushing, teeth jarring action on film! If our guys even touch the opposing QB's sock it gets us a stiff penalty

I know it's still not "easy", (there's still some decent hits) but compared to back then, it sure doesn't seem the same.
    Isn't that the truth. Football was so different back in the 70s...I was watching one of the SBs and kept thinking to myself...oh that's a penalty (but no) It was amazing just comparing the difference!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    I hope your not looking for an argument about this !
    Ha Ha,

Not even close in this category

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

The Steel Curtain was defense that others were flat out scared to play! Now a days there are teams that have good defenses but nothing that is as feared as the Steel Curtain was during their time!

Like some of you already, I’ve seen older TV interview footage with Jack Lambert and he let it be known that he was pissed off about that ’76 season. As BnG32 mentioned, Franco and Rock got injured and couldn’t play in the AFC Champ game against the Raiders that year.

Lambert said right after that game, “… give me a 6-pack (of beer) and let’s it play again.” He also said that he respected all the other great teams before them, but he thought the ’76 Steelers was THE BEST TEAM EVER in the history of the NFL.

Just think about that… if the Steelers would have won the SB that season, that would mean 5 SB wins in 6 years… PLUS, the only team ever (to this day) to win 3 in a row. That also means by today, we would have the most SB titles with 6 and not tied with 5 with Dallas. That season was definitely bittersweet.

A ton of thanks goes to both HouseOfSteel and TopGun for my cool avatar and sig!!
    Thanks also to BlacknGoldBleeder for referring me to this site.

Also, it’s a true fact why we’ll never ever see a defense like the Steel Curtain again is because the Steelers created their own problem. Even the narration of NFL Films mentioned before that the NFL Competition Committee had to change some rules to help the offense BECAUSE the Steel Curtain was so dominant in the ‘70s. The rules now were made to be more offense-friendly, more scoring, more excitement for the fans and generate TV ratings, which will generate higher TV revenue from commercials and sponsors.
    I have the entire SBXIII game (every play) even commercials on video. There were a lot fewer commercials back then, only two per break and no TV timeouts. I know this has nothing to do with the game, but it does have to do with where the league is at now… more for the entertainment dollar. Same thing with Nascar.

A ton of thanks goes to both HouseOfSteel and TopGun for my cool avatar and sig!!
    Thanks also to BlacknGoldBleeder for referring me to this site.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG7 View Post
    Isn't that the truth. Football was so different back in the 70s...I was watching one of the SBs and kept thinking to myself...oh that's a penalty (but no) It was amazing just comparing the difference!!!
    It's pathetic how much these guys can't do nowadays. Everything is a judgement call and left open to interpretation. We have instant replay but that doesn't always work. It's just awesome to watch these guys back in the day go to war and really bring it every weekend.

I only wish it was still like that, a war waged on a field of dreams. Today everything is constantly stop and go to analyze every lil thing. It would go both ways because you know the chips would not always fall in the Steelers favor. But today it seems that everyone involved is too corrupt (cheap shots, etc.) yet wimpy ("ouch, he hurt me!" oints finger:; "gotta look good to get commercial deals.......") to allow such a contest.

BuFu

Thread Information